more realistic nuclear war MOD?

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

marconius
level0

more realistic nuclear war MOD?

Postby marconius » Wed May 26, 2010 8:47 pm

Hey everyone, this is my first post so I hope I'm not saying too stupid or that has already been covered.
I wanted to ask, is there a mod that offers a more realistic nuclear war simulation compared to original game? In particular with the following features
- First and foremost: is there a MOD that offers the possibility to disable the ability of nuclear silos to shoot down nukes? This feature is wholly unrealistic, as even today only the USA maintains a (very limited) ABM capability. It isn't MAD if your enemy can wait you out shooting down your missiles.
- MIRVS
- mobile, land based missiles
- yield variation
- possibility to decide altitude of detonation (ground burst for extra fallout and to disable enemy silos, air burst to maximize casualties)
- theater, land based missiles (intermediate range, like the SS-20s)
- EMP effects
- trigger to enable full scale nuclear attack (launch of air/land/sea based missiles at the same time)
Thanks!
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed May 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Short answer; no.

Long answer; Defcon is not a simulation and not meant to be realistic, therefore modding it to add realism isn't possible and would make Defcon become something new. In otherwords, you can only mod images/text/sound files, not actual units or game play.
marconius
level0

Postby marconius » Wed May 26, 2010 9:19 pm

Oh well, it was worth a try. Thanks for answering! The developers should have at least included the possibility to disable AA. I know this would make the games less fun, but it would be a great way to show how MAD would have worked.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed May 26, 2010 9:21 pm

marconius wrote:... The developers should have at least included the possibility to disable AA. I know this would make the games less fun, but it would be a great way to show how MAD would have worked.

MAD has worked so far. :wink: Should there ever be a nation vs nation nuclear strike, that would be the end of MAD working. :wink:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...

Return to “Mod Projects”