Accurate Polar Cold War Mod

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

JValorDV
level0

Accurate Polar Cold War Mod

Postby JValorDV » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:43 am

After browsing through the Cold War scenario available (only the Polar one still had a valid link), I liked the jump towards accuracy, but wanted to go even further with it. After skimming through some threads, I made some adjustments that have been working pretty well. This includes adding South Korea to the US's territory, expanding naval routes so that ships could pass through the Panama and Suez Canals as well as Gibraltar, and adding Africa and South America as South Africa and Brazil/Argentina, who all at one point had nuclear programs. However, I am beginning to encounter more problems as I try to tweak it further.

To start, I want tons of cities on the map. Not necessarily as many as the all cities mod, but still between 100-200 per territory. I assumed that I couldn't just use his file because it has the coordinates for the original map and not the polar version.

When I attempt to add my own by changing the city numbers to 1 in the city file and upping the maximum allowed in the game options file, I notice that cities still will not appear, even if they once did before I messed with the cities file. Also, cities will pop up that I did not select for, while cities I specifically wanted do not. Because the polar map I'm using has the US and part of Europe combined, this may be the cause, but if it worked in the all cities mod, I don't know why it won't work here.

I want to add Taiwan to the US' territory as well, with the capital. While some random city shows up, the capital does not, despite being in the city file. Similarly, I want to add Puerto Rico with San Juan, but the city doesn't appear despite the changes I make in the city folder and .bmps. Likewise for Honolulu.

Finally, it seems that the cap for the polar mod I've been working off of is set at 150 worldscale, even when I change it manually in the settings to 200, or adjust it in the gameoptions menu. I don't know what is causing this, but I want to test the map on a larger scale.

Any help with these issues could be greatly appreciated. I'd also be interested in trying the same with the nonpolar Cold War map, if anyone could point me to a working download link.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:18 am

Code: Select all

Name     Country           x=latitute  y=longitute   pop       capital

Slough   United Kingdom    13.250000   -8.833300     106882     0

1st: I am not sure if you modified an usual map or a polar one. In 2nd case all city coordinates needs to be transformed in the same way the map was.
EDIT: nvm, your are editing the polar mod, cause it already has a modified cities.dat, thats ok.

The cites Defcon shows in Default cities mode are imho just the 25 (or 200 if you set cities to 200) biggest ones. The AllCities mod changes the capital flag of every city to 1, but imho (again) it just determins if the country name will be displayed.
Cause you enlarged the territories there likley will be more than 200 cites per territory in the cites.dat file.

1st suggestion extrakt gameoptions.txt file from the main.dat with Winrar, put it into Defcon/data and set CitiesPerTerritory Max and Default to 1000.
2nd suggestion raise the pop for cities you really want to appear. 10000000 should be enough.

EDIT: For the worldscale try also the gameoptions.txt file. When a mod is activated all of its files will take precedence. Check if there is a Defcon/mods/[MODNAME]/data/gameoptions.txt for your activated mods.

Return to “Mod Projects”