Which Are the hardcoded files and how I can modify them

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

jamo
level2
level2

Which Are the hardcoded files and how I can modify them

Postby jamo » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:36 am

Is there a specific program i can use to unlock the hardcoded files of defcon, such as effects and animation. if someone knows please tell me. Which are the specific files. I want to make a new approach of modification to defcon. What I have in mind is making the graphics from transparent to solid RGB colours.
How to change the travel nodes, so some of the units could move through water and land. I think it would be better if all colours were solid as the blur map colours, and as for the units having colour schemes. Each side should have a color scheme - If you have noticed all players' units coloured monochromiclly, they don't have the true coloures of the explosion bmp and map blur bmp. That really bothers me. I would like to change the colour of the radiation from green to yellow - orange. The thing that irritates me is when a nuke detonates over a city, the city's name is still visible under the shrinking explosion bmp. That's all.
Your friend Jamo - Dennis Wilder.
xander
level5
level5

Re: Which Are the hardcoded files and how I can modify them

Postby xander » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:43 am

Your post suffers from "wall of text syndrome." It is poorly organized, does not break into easily read sentences or paragraphs, and is difficult to follow. However, I shall do my best.

jamo wrote:Is there a specific program i can use to unlock the hardcoded files of defcon, such as effects and animation. if someone knows please tell me. Which are the specific files. I want to make a new approach of modification to defcon.

I honestly don't know what files you are referring to. All of the data files are in main.dat, sounds.dat, and languages.dat, each of which is a simple .rar archive. You can extract them with one of several archiving utilities, such as WinRAR. Once you have unarchived them, most of the files are in standard formats (.bmp, for instance), or are pretty easy to interpret. If something that you want to do cannot be done by altering a file in one of the data archives, then it is hardcoded, and cannot be altered by modding.

jamo wrote:What I have in mind is making the graphics from transparent to solid RGB colours.

I am pretty sure that you can't really do that. The units in Defcon are colored by subtractive coloring based upon whatever team the unit is on. This makes all of the units somewhat transparent. You could, I suppose, fill in the outlines to get solid colors, but they would still be tinted by the team color. This is hardcoded.

jamo wrote:How to change the travel nodes, so some of the units could move through water and land.

This cannot be done. Ships can only travel through the water. There is no way that Defcon can be modded to allow ships to travel on land.

jamo wrote:I think it would be better if all colours were solid as the blur map colours,

I am not sure what you are talking about here.

jamo wrote:and as for the units having colour schemes. Each side should have a color scheme - If you have noticed all players' units coloured monochromiclly, they don't have the true coloures of the explosion bmp and map blur bmp.

It is not possible to use a different color scheme for each team -- the way colors are used is hard coded into the game. It should also be pointed out that this was an intentional decision by IV -- you will note that the maps and explosions used in Defcon by default are also relatively monochromatic -- IV were shooting for a particular aesthetic, and achieved that in a way that makes it difficult to impose other aesthetics onto the game.

jamo wrote:That really bothers me. I would like to change the colour of the radiation from green to yellow - orange.

Again, this is hardcoded.

jamo wrote:The thing that irritates me is when a nuke detonates over a city, the city's name is still visible under the shrinking explosion bmp.

Turn off the names of the cities? I don't really understand why this is a problem -- the explosions are translucent -- they are not really meant to be opaque or to obscure the terrain under them entirely. Again, this behaviour is hardcoded, and there is not much that you can do about it.

xander
trickser
level5
level5

Re: Which Are the hardcoded files and how I can modify them

Postby trickser » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:17 am

jamo wrote:How to change the travel nodes, so some of the units could move through water and land.

The area where you can place silos,aribases and radars is determinate by the europe.bmp, africa.bmp .... .
While the sailable.bmp determinates whats sailable :roll: . So make europe sailable in sailable.bmp but dont touch europe.bmp then you can sail ships through your silos in europe. But dont know how city placement is affected.
jamo wrote: they don't have the true coloures of the explosion bmp and map blur bmp.

The map blur bmp is tinted with a color form the color profile. Maybe Worldcolor? Just set everything to 255 and its not tinted anymore. Look at Satcon mod and its color profile satcon.txt

And as far as i know, explosions are never tinted.

Edit: After reading your post a 2nd time, i think you just said that.

Return to “Mod Projects”