Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

canadave
level1
level1

stumped--node route size mismatch

Postby canadave » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:36 am

Hi all,

Well, I'm trying to run Defcon after modding sailable.bmp, northamerica.bmp, and travel_nodes.bmp, and I get the dreaded "Node Route Size Mismatch" crash.

I know the error means that a node in the travel_nodes.bmp is set in an unsailable area in sailable.bmp. But I've loaded the two files into Photoshop and overlaid the sailable.bmp over the travel_nodes.bmp (I changed the resolution of sailable.bmp to match that of the other file, just so I could get an accurate look and see if any nodes were on land). For the life of me, everything looks fine--all 22 nodes are on water.

Would anyone be able to have a quick look at these files and see if there's something you can spot? I'm at my wits' end here...can't figure it out :( I've compressed the files and added them to helpme.rar:

http://users.eastlink.ca/~canadave/helpme.rar

Thanks anyone who can help...I'll monitor this thread.

--Dave
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:29 am

Hi, i tried to help Efsid with that problem, but coudnt figure it out also. But i will give you some addtional hints anyway, because noone else was able to help Efsid with that.
1st i would stick as close as possible to the original, means make travel_nodes.bmp a 1bit black/white image, not greyscale or color.
2nd another rule about travel_nodes is: every node needs at least one other node it can reach in a straight line through water. That node in indochina may have trouble with that.

What i wanna know is: travel_nodes.bmp is 800x400 pixel, thats a different ratio then the other images. Will it be streched to fit the map, or will it leave out the most norther and southern parts? Without that info, its hard to tell if a node is in land/water or has a connection to another node.
canadave
level1
level1

Postby canadave » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:40 am

trickser wrote:Hi, i tried to help Efsid with that problem, but coudnt figure it out also. But i will give you some addtional hints anyway, because noone else was able to help Efsid with that.
1st i would stick as close as possible to the original, means make travel_nodes.bmp a 1bit black/white image, not greyscale or color.
2nd another rule about travel_nodes is: every node needs at least one other node it can reach in a straight line through water. That node in indochina may have trouble with that.

Yeah, I figured that too. AFAIK I didn't change the .bmp except to move a couple of the white dots around, but I'll double-check. I moved the Indochina one for precisely the reason you describe :)

trickser wrote:What i wanna know is: travel_nodes.bmp is 800x400 pixel, thats a different ratio then the other images. Will it be streched to fit the map, or will it leave out the most norther and southern parts? Without that info, its hard to tell if a node is in land/water or has a connection to another node.

Yep, I noticed that too. What I tried to do was place any questionable nodes far enough out into the water that either way, whether the travel_nodes.bmp is stretched or clipped, all the nodes would be in water. I thought I'd accomplished that; that's why I'm confused why I'm still getting the node error message.

I'm holding out hope someone can shed some light on this. It seems like a straightforward enough process, which is why it's so frustrating that it's not working.

Cheers for all your help!
Dave
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:30 am

i ve found this post, saying you can remove all nodes, to aviod trouble, but uncertain effect to the game play.
canadave
level1
level1

Postby canadave » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:24 pm

Thanks trickser! I think that's definitely the next troubleshooting step. I'll try to play with it on the weekend.
WolfSkull
level0

Postby WolfSkull » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:14 pm

You should also make sure the travel-nodes image is sized correctly, I think 800x400, but double check what size it is in the "main".
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:17 am

__/\__

xander
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:35 am

xander wrote:__/\__

xander

I'm suing, You popped my tire!!!
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:04 am

This thread carries a DNR card, why would you want to go against it's wishes?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
WaffleMaster
level1
level1

Postby WaffleMaster » Sun May 03, 2009 12:04 am

does anyone know what the travel nodes do? i found a few posts saying it will work if all of the nodes are removed, but it didn't say what effect it would have on gameplay.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon May 04, 2009 3:16 pm

The travel nodes provide the game with a way to route ships around land when given orders.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...

Return to “Mod Projects”