Can you mod the units themselves in Defcon?

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

scribs
level0

Can you mod the units themselves in Defcon?

Postby scribs » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:33 pm

Hey guys, Im new to Defcon but am really enjoying the game. One thing Ive been wondering though is whether you can modify (or add) units in a Defcon mod, specifically I think an airborne radar aircraft would be an interesting addition. Can this be done (and if so, has it already been done)? I think it would make a nice addition to the game.

Thanks for the help,
Scribs
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:55 am

No, no actual game mechanic mod is possible.
City Builder
level2
level2

Postby City Builder » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:13 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:No, no actual game mechanic mod is possible.

Bummer, I was hoping to find a mod that would at least replace the current in game icons with something else. The colors are terribly hard to see as you get to be an old fogie like myself.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:22 pm

Icons and unit graphics are not gameplay :) You can replace them just fine. You won't be able to do anything fundamental about the colours, though.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:24 pm

City Builder wrote:The colors are terribly hard to see as you get to be an old fogie like myself.

Eh? Turn up the contrast or brightness.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
City Builder
level2
level2

Postby City Builder » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:40 pm

I don't see that as an option in any of the game menus :?:

I don't really care to mess with my VieSonic LED monitor to try to do that as I'd have to switch it back when finished playing and I often play a game (many different ones) several times per day so it would be too much hassle to mess with it at the monitor level when all other games I can see perfectly fine.

Is there an option that Im just not seeing that allows me to adjust contrast in the game?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:48 pm

City Builder wrote:I don't see that as an option in any of the game menus :?:
As far as I know, the game units already are at maximal brightness for their colour, so there is nothing to change there. What you can do in the game is go to the style editor and lower the brightness of the ocean and land.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:54 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:
City Builder wrote:I don't see that as an option in any of the game menus :?:
As far as I know, the game units already are at maximal brightness for their colour, so there is nothing to change there. What you can do in the game is go to the style editor and lower the brightness of the ocean and land.

You can also edit the units to make them stand out a bit more -- thicken the lines a bit, and maybe remove and/or alter the associated "blur" files. If you unpack main.dat (which is just a .rar file, so something like WinRAR will get the job done for you), the files that you need to alter are in data/graphics/ . You are looking for a matched pair of files, i.e. bomber.bmp and bomber_blur.bmp. If you thickened the lines a bit on the units (or just filled them in), and filled the blur files with black, you might get something a bit more visible.

However, I think a better solution is to use a darker theme. In fact, you might try my Simple Grey. On the few occasions that I actually play DEFCON anymore, this is the theme that I use. The units stand out really well. After you download the file, unzip it, and move/copy the unzipped directory to mods/ , which should be in you Defcon directory. Start DEFCON, and hit the "Mods" button. Find simple_grey on the list, click on it, and activate it. As long as you are using the default theme, and not some other theme, you should be fine.

xander
City Builder
level2
level2

Postby City Builder » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:19 pm

Thanks for that. You are correct the darker color backgrounds of your simplegrey style allows me to easily see all the icons on the map. Now I dont have to go and change them, although I may do it just for the fun of it to see if I can give it a different look instead of the wargames look (which obviously understand why the war games look is there to begin with.

Thanks again, your file saved me a great deal of time having to adjust all those colors in the styles properties window.

Return to “Mod Projects”