level4

world.dat

Postby Spacemonkey » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:46 am

whats this guy for, anyone know?
Mr_Monday
level1
level1

Postby Mr_Monday » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:48 am

Its coded with Redshirt2 the same algorithm they used to code Darwinia and Uplink. If you take the progress of many dedicated "hackers" (i guess you could call them) and used their algorithm that they created for Darwinia and applied it to the world.dat file it reads:
CONFIDENTIAL playable demo. DO NOT DISTRIBUTE.

...and that's it. So apparently it isn't that important, unless it is just a huge coincidence that it reads that way and they actually designed a new mechanism to obscure the file. However i doubt that's true because the file is only 1KB so it obviously can't hold that much information.

In case your interested......
As i said before there has been considerable research into understanding the algorithm.
Look here... http://www.ambrosiasw.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t94112.html

or here, on IV Forums ...
http://forums.introversion.co.uk/darwinia/viewtopic.php?t=1550

A simple google search of "Redshirt2" will provide you with similar links, in case you wanted to know more about it.[/i]
Mr_Monday
level1
level1

Postby Mr_Monday » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:00 am

Sorry i hate to double post, but i just realized how confusingly i worded it.
Its coded with Redshirt2 the same algorithm they used to code Darwinia and Uplink. If you take the progress of many dedicated "hackers" (i guess you could call them) and used their algorithm that they created for Darwinia and applied it to the world.dat file it reads:
CONFIDENTIAL playable demo. DO NOT DISTRIBUTE.

I'll put it this way, IV created redshirt2. Then the "hackers" spent lots of time, to figure out the algorithm and decode it. Which they did. Then they released information and if you use their "decoder", then it reads: CONFIDENTIAL playable demo. DO NOT DISTRIBUTE.

At least according to here... http://clementcadbury.free.fr/redshirt2/index.php
That's just how I understand it, however, I could be way off...
Spacemonkey
level4
level4

Postby Spacemonkey » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:30 am

makes sence, I was hoping something could be done with it, oh well.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:46 pm

Mr_Monday wrote:Its coded with Redshirt2 the same algorithm they used to code Darwinia and Uplink.

One minor niggle -- redshirt2 is the encryption algorithm used in Darwinia and Defcon. Uplink used redshirt (no numbers). I would also note that it is fairly clear that IV wanted those algorithms to be broken, hence the name "redshirt" (a reference to the characters in Star Trek that always die first -- Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and an unnamed ensign in a red shirt all beam down to the planet; which ones come back alive?).

xander

Return to “Mod Projects”