[MOD] 1984: Defcon the Orwellian Way

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:01 am

If it solves any problems you could just break up oceania into three different sections (oceana north, oceana south, oceana pacifica).

It all depends on where you want to take the mod. Civil war in 1984?
JoshB
level1
level1

Postby JoshB » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:37 am

In the Wikipedia image, it noted there are disputed territories. On your map, they are blank. Is it possible to overlap land territory like you do for sea territory? I don't know the strategic consequences but it would be an interesting experiment!
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:20 am

I think I'd like to keep Oceania as one big unit. It makes playing more interesting :) It is entirely possible to overlap land territories, and I will have a go at testing that tonight (if I have time.) I am intrigued by that idea, but the shared territory would be only good for placing units in, not firing nukes at; this isn't necessarily contradictory to the book, so I'm definitely willing to give it a shot!

For now I have added the disputed land as a fourth playable territory; from there it would be a very simple operation to add that territory to the other three.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:48 am

In the novel, there were conventional explosive missiles which were (possibly) intercontinental. However, they may have been fired from within oceania at it's own citizens.

I still love this mod though!
shinygerbil
level5
level5

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:21 pm

Unfortunately we're stuck with the mechanics of Defcon as they are, at least for now. Call it the final resolution of conflict between the powers, having finally resorted to nuclear warfare :)

Also, updated battleships look much more self-explanatory (although maybe not at my poor laptop's resolution ;) )

EDIT: I almost wrote "atomics" instead of nuclear warfare, which reminds me of another book which could translate well into Defcon: Frank Herbert's Dune. Anyone wanna have a go, I'd love to see the result. :D
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:37 pm

How was that poem again?

Under the spreading Chestnut Tree
I sold you and you sold me
Here lie they, and here lie we
Under the spreading Chestnut Tree

Ah, maybe I ought to read it again ...

ADD:

Oranges and lemons
say the bells of St. Clemens
You owe me three farthings
say the bells of St. Martins
... forgot the rest, ironically

~

Here comes a candle to light you to bed
Here comes a chopper to chop of your head

AH! I really need to read it again :roll:
unknown
level1
level1

Postby unknown » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:13 pm

tChr wrote:But in Orwell's 1984, it's pretty clearly stated that the war wasn't meant to be won, but just to be fought

Ahh, the wonders of doublethink.
Rosti
level2
level2

Postby Rosti » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:35 pm

My hat -> off.

That is all
shinygerbil
level5
level5

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:02 am

Well, I've run a few games quickly through the AI, and have found a couple of things:

-I have found a bug in the game! (Or so I think.) I have had to adjust the sea territories, as they were overlapping too much - when the AIs of two teams try to place ships in the same spot in the sea (which presumably is defined by ai_markers.bmp,) the game just crashes (Defcon.exe, problem, send error report, blah.) So I have reduced the overlap slightly, which has solved the crashing. I'd like to know if anyone else can verify that this is a problem!

-Eastasia seem to be at a horrible disadvantage, although I can't find out why. They seem to lose every time. I'm just about to have a go with them to see if I can't whoop some butt :)

Edit: OK, it's pretty hard to play as Eastasia, you get it hard from all sides. I'll have to balance that out a bit tomorrow. Oh, and Eurasia still has all the characteristics of Europe (cities grouped up in a bunch.)
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.

shinygerbil
level5
level5

Postby shinygerbil » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:26 pm

More bumping :P

I've hardly had time to do much in the last couple of days, but I've decided to put up the modified territories (not units, as yet; they're not all finished,) so if anyone wants to have a playtest and suggest some improvements, I'd love to hear from you. You can find the file at http://www.shinygerbil.co.uk/files/1984.rar :)

You'll need WinRAR to extract the mod, and I highly suggest using the good ol' ModLoader by zanzer7.

Have fun!
Falstaff
level0

Postby Falstaff » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:39 pm

If only you could forbid Eastasia from forming an alliance with Eurasia (or vice versa) and require Oceania to always be at war with one of them.
DrFreedom
level1
level1

Re: [MOD] 1984: Defcon, Orwell Style - Playtest Now!

Postby DrFreedom » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:07 pm

shinygerbil wrote:
Edit: (New Updated) Screenshot!

My question is this. why do people host screen shots on slow ass sites that open up pop up adds and other bullllllllshit nonsense crapola?
denzil
level2
level2

Postby denzil » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:54 pm

Imageshack works fine for me, nice and fast, popup blocker is all that is needed..
shinygerbil
level5
level5

Postby shinygerbil » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:28 pm

Well, I can put it here but that's just going to waste my own, rather more precious bandwidth. I don't have any problems with ImageShack (especially their auto-thumbnails); perhaps you should get a better browser and ISP.

By the way, has anyone tried the mod yet? :D

Falstaff, it would be very nice indeed to be able to do this... Let's hope that one day in the future Introversion decide to open up the guts of their game for the world to see and change :) As it is, players can always decide their own rules on the matter.
FedRebel
level1
level1

Postby FedRebel » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:17 am

shinygerbil wrote:By the way, has anyone tried the mod yet? :D

Yes, and it's very well done

I can't wait for the new icons

Return to “Mod Projects”