Mr Monday's Map Mod

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

ptrifoliata
level1
level1

ok i'm still lost.

Postby ptrifoliata » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:39 am

gotcha, so i just edit north america and russia . bmp - - for some reason it crashes when i mouseover hawaii or puerto rico?

i think you gotta take hawaii and puerto rico outta sailable so boats don't go through em and make the areas of northamerica and hawaii white in the territory one so that you can place silos there?
Thank You,

Matthew Lyon UC Riverside lab (951) 827-4736
Ph.D. Student B O T A N Y new c.p. (951) 941-5554
Mr_Monday
level1
level1

Postby Mr_Monday » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:28 am

i think you gotta take hawaii and puerto rico outta sailable so boats don't go through em and make the areas of northamerica and hawaii white in the territory one so that you can place silos there?

Look, to add Hawaii and Puerto Rico all you need to do is change the sailable and northamerica (assuming you want northamerica to control them).

For sailable.bmp, make a BLACK region as large as you see fit wherever you want, and this will make it so boats CANNOT pass through it.

For northamerica, make a WHITE region as large as you want wherever you want, and this will make it so you can place units there. If you want, you can make a GREY area and this will allow you to place fleets there.

gotcha, so i just edit north america and russia . bmp - - for some reason it crashes when i mouseover hawaii or puerto rico?

I would just reinstall the game and then follow the steps we've provided for modding, now that you know what your doing. If you really want to keep your progress back them up in a different folder, but start fresh as far as the "corrupted" files go that don't allow you to play the game fully. Obviously, if your unsure which ones messed up hawaii and puerto rico then just replace everything with the original game.
ptrifoliata
level1
level1

yeah totally on top the avoiding corruption scheme.

Postby ptrifoliata » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:11 am

yeah totally on top the avoiding corruption scheme.

as a software engineer of course i made copies of everything before modding the files that came with the game. i've tried switching them in/out. doesn't seem to help so far? maybe there's a bug in the defcon software by which it can't read complicated customzed maps?
Thank You,

Matthew Lyon UC Riverside lab (951) 827-4736

Ph.D. Student B O T A N Y new c.p. (951) 941-5554
Mr_Monday
level1
level1

Postby Mr_Monday » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:33 am

as a software engineer of course i made copies of everything before modding the files that came with the game. i've tried switching them in/out. doesn't seem to help so far? maybe there's a bug in the defcon software by which it can't read complicated customzed maps?

If replacing the files with the original ones doesn't work and your sure you haven't touched anything you haven't tried replacing already, you might want to post something in the Windows Troubleshooting section of the forums and tell them what the error says or how it crashes.
Mr_Monday
level1
level1

Postby Mr_Monday » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:40 am

Here is a very primitive version of a bering straight mod. It only changes the sailable.bmp and the travel nodes. It is, for some reason, much easier to access northern Canada or Russia from America's side and will rarely work from Japan's coast. And it is most efficient when very close to the straight itself. There is an issue with boats travelling over Russia (directly over the land) when sent way off somewhere distant and sometimes boats will travel all of the way around New Zealand (rarely). To avoid all of this send your boats underneath Alaska and click above the straight then once they reach there send them where you want. Otherwise, if the path shown indicates a path over Siberia, send the ships away otherwise you will literally sail over land, and if the path sends you around Africa then click closer to the straight instead of way above.
This also opens up a few passages in other parts of the world. Hudson Bay and Gulf of Mexico are the major ones. Again, this is just a 1.0beta version and I hope to clean up the map a bit and continue to try different travel node combinations. I've been busy so I apologize for taking weeks to get this out of what was actually just a few long night's work.

NOTE: The current travel node configuration does not allow the AI to travel through the Hudson Bay or into the Gulf of Mexico, so you must micromanage (tedious work isn't it?) your ship precisely through those areas or simply avoid them since the AI won't use them either. If this proves too inconvenient then let me know and i can upload other maps i'v considered that don't include those areas as playable.

http://d.turboupload.com/d/1160250/BeringStraight1.0b.rar.html
nukewarfare2
level1
level1

Postby nukewarfare2 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:13 pm

I like this mod. It makes sense to have Greenland part of the North America territory. I mean, Thule Air Force Base as well as the Ballistic Missile Early Warning System PAVE PAWS are stationed there. But would you consider adding Austrailia, New Zeland, and Indonesia as another territory?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:35 pm

This mod was posted two years ago. I doubt that the original poster is still around, let alone making any changes to this mod. Why not do it yourself?

xander
nukewarfare2
level1
level1

Postby nukewarfare2 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:22 pm

Because I really don't know how to. I mean, I can work my way around the computer, but I'm not very sophisticated with them. Besides, I don't know if I could actually put forth the level of focus to complete it even if I started.
Dave
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:02 pm

nukewarfare2 wrote:Because I really don't know how to. I mean, I can work my way around the computer, but I'm not very sophisticated with them. Besides, I don't know if I could actually put forth the level of focus to complete it even if I started.

You would have to change, at most, 6 bitmap files. Download the mod, as it is; find the bitmap files that control territory; open them up in Paint; edit; save; et voila. And the only way to become more sophisticated in the use of computers is to use them. Ignorance (or lack of knowledge) is no excuse -- learn.

xander
nukewarfare2
level1
level1

Postby nukewarfare2 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:44 pm

I never said I was ignorant, and I can usually figure things out if I'm persistent.

Anyway, when I open the file "Earth" in the "Mods" subfolder there are black and white bitmap images of the territories "North America", "South America", "Europe", "Russia", and "South Asia". If I wanted to add an "Australia/Indonesia" image, would I have to create it from scratch? And how would I go about doing so? Would there need to be any change in the game code?

-Dave
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:59 pm

nukewarfare2 wrote:I never said I was ignorant, and I can usually figure things out if I'm persistent.

You said that you did not know how to do something. That is the very definition of ignorance. It is not a pejorative, just a statement of fact.

nukewarfare2 wrote:Anyway, when I open the file "Earth" in the "Mods" subfolder there are black and white bitmap images of the territories "North America", "South America", "Europe", "Russia", and "South Asia". If I wanted to add an "Australia/Indonesia" image, would I have to create it from scratch? And how would I go about doing so? Would there need to be any change in the game code?

Those are the images you need, yes.

There are only six territories in Defcon, no matter how you slice it. They will be called "North America," "South America"... If you want to include Australia, then you need to eliminate another territory, or add Australia to some other territory. Don't change the file names, as Defcon is looking specifically to find those files.

Also, I suggest that you have a look through other people's mods, and see what they have done. Finally, If you are not comfortable creating or editing .bmps (which seems to be the case, as you are asking how to create a new file), then you may be over your head here.

xander
nukewarfare2
level1
level1

Postby nukewarfare2 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:00 pm

Granted, you are essentailly correct in the assessment that I am ignorant as far as the technical aspects of computer programming are concerned. Whether or not you intended the statement to be pejorative, the term "ignorant" connotes a more generalized description such as stupidity, which is understood by most to be derogatory. When you made that comment, I was under the impression that you assumed I am a person who uses the "I'm just not smart enough" excuse, which I don't believe to be a valid argument. Perhaps what I should have said is, "I am yet to be as technologically savvy as the rest of you."

Let's say that I wanted to add Australia, New Zeland and Indonesia as an extention of Western Europe to give it more territory. These landmasses are very specific places on the map. In order to get their precise locations, is there a way I can overlay the world borders for those countries so that I can add their territorial areas and waterways?

-Dave
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:12 pm

nukewarfare2 wrote:Granted, you are essentailly correct in the assessment that I am ignorant as far as the technical aspects of computer programming are concerned. Whether or not you intended the statement to be pejorative, the term "ignorant" connotes a more generalized description such as stupidity, which is understood by most to be derogatory.

Your English is... wow! :shock:
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:36 pm

nukewarfare2 wrote:...term "ignorant" connotes a more generalized description such as stupidity

I disagree, but it is clear that you decided to take offense at the term. I am sorry that it offended you, as it was not meant to. The point remains that you asked someone to change this mod (someone who is long gone), then claimed an inability to do the work yourself when I suggested that you make the change. I replied that ignorance (or lack of knowledge -- notice how I specifically said this) is not an excuse. If you want to make the change, you either do it yourself, or it doesn't happen.

nukewarfare2 wrote:Let's say that I wanted to add Australia, New Zeland and Indonesia as an extention of Western Europe to give it more territory. These landmasses are very specific places on the map. In order to get their precise locations, is there a way I can overlay the world borders for those countries so that I can add their territorial areas and waterways?

This is not really the right place to ask that question. You are using some graphic editor to do this, correct? Find the forum for that graphic editor, and ask it there. Where I using GIMP, I would open both a generalized world map image (perhaps taken from a screenshot, or from the .dat archive) and the particular continent that I wanted to adjust. I would copy the general map (scaled down to the same size as the map I am trying to alter) into the map I want to alter as a new layer, then change the other layer to look how I wanted it to. Having done that, I would get rid of the new layer, and save my image. That is not the only way to do it, and it is probably not even the best -- I am not very handy with graphic editors.

xander

Return to “Mod Projects”