Way Far Out Idea

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Foxhound
level0

Way Far Out Idea

Postby Foxhound » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:23 am

Alright, im pretty sure this is going to turn into a big NO, but i was jsut thinking...

What if DEFCON was ported to the PSP? Who knows, handheld genocide might not be a bad idea. But im sure you guys might not have a clue as to how to port a game to a PSP (or any handheld system for that matter). But i could be wrong too. Just kind of throwing a wild idea out there. The DS might work too, but since i dont have one, wouldnt make a difference to me!

On an unrelated note, i havent actually bought DEFCON yet, but i plan to tonight or tommorrow, the demo was great! I'm regretting not pre-ordering it now, forgive me for doubting how much fun this game would be!
LordSturm
level4
level4

Postby LordSturm » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:30 am

Your not the only person who wishes it was on PSP... :P
Someone started porting Uplink to PSP along time ago, its STILL going. <_<

So essentially, the psp's wide screen would be ideal for this game, but it is unknown if IV are willing to change platform like this.

The DS would be cool, but hey i dunno, thats harder.
"Surely you didn't mean to press that button just then did you?"
"No, nor will i disarm the nukes."
"Oh well, I will have my Fighters shoot them down."
"Sure you will."
"Oh NOES, ITS BEEN PATCHED!!!"

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:04 am

The PSP's widescreen would be ideal but its analogue/d-pad would be far from that :?

The DS on the other hand with its touch screen would be quite suitable I think. The touchscreen would say, show half the map when zoomed all the way out, and you'd use the stylus to select stuff same as you do on the PC and the buttons for other actions like de-selecting, zooming in/out etc.

The top screen would show the other half of the map when zoomed all the way out. Since it's not a touch screen you couldn't select stuff on it so you'd only use it to observe what's happening. If something interesting to you showed up there, you'd tap a button and the two screens would switch sides. That way the top view would shift to the touchscreen (and vice versa) so you could select stuff on it.

Selecting a unit then switching the screens to place its order would also work. Of course you could scroll normally as well. When zoomed in, the two screens would show adjacent areas.

It'd be great even with simpler vector graphics :D
Al3xand3r
level1
level1

Postby Al3xand3r » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:05 am

It was me above :?
Mod HQ - http://www.mod-hq.com/
All you need for HL2 & Steam news
xander
level5
level5

Re: Way Far Out Idea

Postby xander » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:11 am

Foxhound wrote:Alright, im pretty sure this is going to turn into a big NO, but i was jsut thinking...

What if DEFCON was ported to the PSP? Who knows, handheld genocide might not be a bad idea. But im sure you guys might not have a clue as to how to port a game to a PSP (or any handheld system for that matter). But i could be wrong too. Just kind of throwing a wild idea out there. The DS might work too, but since i dont have one, wouldnt make a difference to me!

On an unrelated note, i havent actually bought DEFCON yet, but i plan to tonight or tommorrow, the demo was great! I'm regretting not pre-ordering it now, forgive me for doubting how much fun this game would be!

No. Doesn't have the power, or the ease of multiplayer, or a proper interface. You might see it on XBox Live Arcade at somepoint.

xander
Tribalbob
level1
level1

Postby Tribalbob » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:20 am

given that defcon is 90% a point and click game, I see no real issue with the PSP interface. use the joybutton as a cursor, L/R can rotate the map left or right, DPad can move the view around, or change options in the drop down menus (ICBM mode/Air Defense Mode)...

X can select, square deselect, circle and triangle zoom in and out...

press select to bring up the speed change menu.

the interface would have to be simplified a tiny bit, but I see no reason why it couldn't be ported to a PSP. seems like the sort of game that would do well on the system.

the only thing that'd get lost is the comms.

edit: and even then, you could somewhat replace that by giving players a premade chat menu, like the chat menu in tribes.
Last edited by Tribalbob on Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
LordSturm
level4
level4

Postby LordSturm » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:23 am

The psp has enough power for such a game.

Memory: All the images are going to have to be scaled down, and would either fit in 32mb, OR be streamed from a 128mb to 4gig memory stick.

Sound: Perfectly capable, id play the game with simple WAV sound effects, music can be mp3's optionally.

Interface: Theres more button on a psp than you think.

Media: Well i guess it will be a HomeBrew release, i don't expect IV to get it onto a UMD. ( Meh. )

CPU: PSP has 333MHz to spare, working with the low-res graphics, and minimal sound support, theres defiantly enough processing power for your automated units and the cpu. or another player.

Online: PSP is perfectly capable of going online, and interfacing with UDP, or TCP, in the case of DEFCON UDP.

Yawn.
"Surely you didn't mean to press that button just then did you?"

"No, nor will i disarm the nukes."

"Oh well, I will have my Fighters shoot them down."

"Sure you will."

"Oh NOES, ITS BEEN PATCHED!!!"
timonator
level2
level2

Postby timonator » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:16 pm

LordSturm wrote:Sound: Perfectly capable, id play the game with simple WAV sound effects, music can be mp3's optionally.

eew. gross. wav and mp3. *shakes in disgust*
Al3xand3r
level1
level1

Postby Al3xand3r » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:30 pm

And you don't run PSP games from the memory stick... Only homebrew runs like that, but I don't think IV would want to develop it as homebrew and not officially released title for the system... Especially if you sell it you probably have to pay royalties, purchase SDKs, etc. And they'd need a publisher that can manufacture UMDs... etc...

As for using the thumbpad to control a cursor. No. It's awkward when browsing websites, it'd be 10x awkward in a game like DEFCON which requires speed on top of accuracy. That's why all the FPS games on the system so far have sucked, because they have tried to emulate mouselook which simply doesn't work with the available control pieces...

Even though I do own a PSP (And I don't own a DS, but plan to get a Wii) I probably wouldn't play it on it even if they released it... It'd be great on the Wii though! Using the remote as a pointer like a real general :D

zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:44 pm

timonator wrote:eew. gross. wav and mp3. *shakes in disgust*
We all ought to convert our music to .flac and .ogg immediately :D
Tribalbob
level1
level1

Postby Tribalbob » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:04 am

I still think it's the kind of game that could do well on the PSP. adjustments would have to be made for the platform change obviously, but that doesn't mean it'll be any less fun. it's the kind of game you can play for minutes, or for hours if you prefer. a strategy game where you can learn the rules in seconds, and spend the rest of your life learning the techniques.

nobody sits down and plays a handheld game for 8 hours. it's for times when you don't have access to a regular gaming machine and need a diversion, like in the office, or on a plane.

and defcon is a good game for that niche.

now, i'm not saying IV should, or would, or ever would even want to put defcon on the PSP, or that anyone should start trying to make a homebrew conversion.

I just think it's a feasible idea.
Last edited by Tribalbob on Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:05 am

If Defcon was to be ported for anything, I'd say DS.

The interface of a point-and-click game would fail miserably on a PSP.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:53 pm

I've already detailed why either a DS or a PSP port wouldn't work here: http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon ... php?t=1630

Trust me, I've also countered these identical arguments for Darwinia. I did research to make these conclusions. If you won't read the 4 page topic above, the long and short is:

DS: just not powerful enough. Ever. (Don't be fooled by how Defcon looks)
PSP: Bordering possible, but fails. CPU isn't enough for both AI and rendering. A 166MHz rendering unit in the PSP is nice, but the fact it only has 2MB means that you'll only be able to fit one or two textures in it before you've got problems. Plus, the fill rate of the PSP is a huge letdown, 664 million pixels per second... a ATi 9200 has a fillrate of 1.1 billion pixels per second, and even that'll have problems with Defcon.

NeoThermic
Al3xand3r
level1
level1

Postby Al3xand3r » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:09 pm

Porting a game doesn't mean all of its features have to remain intact. I don't think anyone would mind if the game was ported on the DS and we simply didn't get fancy glow-lines and transparencies or whatever but instead had all that replaced with standard simplistic colored vector lines. So, I do believe a DS version would be possible with such insignificant to the core of the game compromises. DS has some great looking 2D games and a simple strictly 2D engine created for it could handle the overall DEFCON look and feel more than fine.

The only thing other than the fancy graphical effects that could hold it back would be the power needed for the AI but again, this is primarily a multi player title. It could have practice modes with 1 or 2 AI enemies and only allow 6 player matches online. It could also lack big world mode and other such options which have higher unit counts but wouldn't really work on a portable anyway. Wi-Fi:)

Anyway, now I want it on the Wii :P

shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:14 pm

Al3xand3r wrote:Anyway, now I want it on the Wii :P

More feasible. Would be nice to see, but very unlikely :(
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.

Return to “Mod Projects”