Blackscreen when starting Defcon (Steam)

Technical Support for all Defcon related issues

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Wolfsterror
level0

Blackscreen when starting Defcon (Steam)

Postby Wolfsterror » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:30 pm

Hello community,
first i'm realy sorry, my english is realy bad so please forgive me.
I bought some days ago the Pack with Defcon, when i will start the game i get an nice Blackscreen an my computer are freeze.
I read ome Topics in this forum but nothing helps realy. I read somthing about some txt files would createt, but i have nothing new file, after the Blackscreen.
I Write to the Steam Support but i don't get any help. Only that i must refresh the files. So i have downloaded it again, but the problem still alive.
So i don't know what i can do... i don't know how many files i need, i mean, what files Defcon have, like defcon.exe sounds.dat and the ofters. may the problem is there...
Or some one have another idea?

Use Win 7 64bit
with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
an Nvidia 8800GT (newest Driver install 256 from the 7.06 i think)
Direct 11 installed....

I Hope someone can help me
Greets
Wolfi
Faenris
level0

Postby Faenris » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:58 pm

I have exactly the same problem. Bought the package over Steam and Defcon freezes with a black screen.

I also use Windows 7 with 64 bit, however I have an Intel Core Duo E6300 and an Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT. Direct X Drivers are updated, however I use an old nvidia drivers version because else Neverwinter Nights 2 doesn't run properly (edit: whereas "old" means from January 2010).

And yes, I also refreshed the files over Steam. Didn't help.

Hope we'll get help. Thanks and regards
Faenris
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:17 pm

Could it be that Defcon just sets a video mode that is not supported by your monitors?
Wolfsterror
level0

Postby Wolfsterror » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:17 am

My Monitor supported 800x600 up to 1920 x 1080
I Have a Fujitsu Siemens Scaleoview H22-1W its an Widescreen.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:47 pm

Can you describe the effect in more detail? Does CTRL-ALT-DEL still bring up the task manager menu?

To rule out video problems, follow the instructions here:
http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon ... 910#105910
Apparently, Defcon is able to pick 8 bit color depth by default, which just doesn't make sense, ever, so who knows what else it can come up with.
Wolfsterror
level0

Postby Wolfsterror » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:31 pm

So i have tell you, Computer is totaly freeze. Nothing goes. No CTRL-ALT-DEL works, only a hard restart.

The problem because the Video Problems is i have NO preferences.txt. I only have
changes.txt
debug.txt (empty)
defcon.exe
main.dat
sounds.dat
steam_api.dll
Wolfsterror
level0

Postby Wolfsterror » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:39 pm

Hey guys, sry for the second post, but i think whats now coming must have a new post.

bert_the_turtle inform me that i look to the other post. I have look in my folder to see what files i have.
I created a preferences.txt because i doesn't exist in my folder. I fill these options into the new preferences.txt

ScreenWidth = 1024
ScreenHeight = 768
ScreenWindowed = 1
ScreenColourDepth = 32
ScreenRefresh = 60
ScreenZDepth = 24

So i have seen what happens to my game.
I Use the COMODO Firewall and it want that i allow the progroamm Defcon to join the internet and edit a regestry slot.
An when i was in Full Mode i haven't seen it. Thats it why my computer are totaly freeze. No rules for editing Regestry and joining the Internet.

So When people have the same problem. Look to the preferences.txt, when it not exist, create one by your self. Fill in the Options i have tell you, better bert_the_turtle was it :P
Start the game look what happens, when the game Freez no panik you can close it, because its only windowed Mode.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:23 pm

Ah, so what happens is that the start of Defcon triggers the firewall, which freezes Defcon to display an "Allow this app to do stuff?" dialog, only fails to actually display it?

So it's working now?
Faenris
level0

Postby Faenris » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:24 pm

Ahh.. I also use the Comodo Firewall, that might be the problem. I'll try to allow everything before starting later when I have time.
Wolfsterror
level0

Postby Wolfsterror » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:36 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:Ah, so what happens is that the start of Defcon triggers the firewall, which freezes Defcon to display an "Allow this app to do stuff?" dialog, only fails to actually display it?

So it's working now?

Yes thats it! And the problem wars that i can't use any key controls to come back to desktop, so my computer freeze too, when i start Windowed Mode it works. Thank you a lot for your help, that was the final information i need to get the nice game working.

Faenris wrote:Ahh.. I also use the Comodo Firewall, that might be the problem. I'll try to allow everything before starting later when I have time.

Try to make a preferences.txt or overwrite a existing one. Take the Codes i write befor, so it starts windowed and you can see what Comodo will have. Than you get first time defcon blackscreen, allow everything in Comodo, start new and allow it again, than you can play. when anything goes wrong write me a PN i gave you my icq number, than i can help, or steam id ^^ we will see. I wish you luck ^^
Faenris
level0

Postby Faenris » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:42 pm

Yeah, it works :) Both ways work: either running it windowed as you described, or going to the settings of the firewall and allowing everything for defcon beforehand :)
deathbygrogg
level0

Postby deathbygrogg » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:11 am

I can't get it to work. I purchased the game over Steam yesterday, and have tried running the game in a variety of resolutions and color depths, with the firewall turned off and whatnot. But all i see is a black screen, although the sound can be heard.

Setup:

Win7 x86-64
Intel G965 (HP OEM Drivers)
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:17 am

Have you tried running it in windowed mode (via editing preferences.txt)?
Also, the intel GPUs are known to be troublesome at times. You should try getting your drivers from Intel directly to minimize problems; HP likely only gives you an older build and maybe rebrands it.
deathbygrogg
level0

Postby deathbygrogg » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:09 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:Have you tried running it in windowed mode (via editing preferences.txt)?
Also, the intel GPUs are known to be troublesome at times. You should try getting your drivers from Intel directly to minimize problems; HP likely only gives you an older build and maybe rebrands it.

Uhu, tried windowed too.

I'd very much like to try running the real intel deal, but sadly they seem to have installed some locks that ensure i have to download the OEM drivers from HP instead of cutting out the middleman. Pure malice, most likely.

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”