Defcon Authentication Key: Unknown???????

Technical Support for all Defcon related issues

Moderator: Defcon moderators

U.S.A.3r
level0

Defcon Authentication Key: Unknown???????

Postby U.S.A.3r » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:40 am

I have defcon installed on my machine. For some reason now, I can't seem to connect to any game servers now and its saying at the bottom, Authentication Key Unknown. What is this problem, how do I fix it, and how can I prevent it from happening again? :shock:
DinoSteve
level3
level3

Postby DinoSteve » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:14 am

Did you try reading this, then this?

If yes and you still have a problem after that, then:
  • What version of Windows are you using?
  • Steam or non-Steam version of Defcon?
  • Full or demo version of Defcon?
  • Has your network set-up changed recently?
  • Describe your local network i.e what wireless router, what firewall software, etc.
  • When you installed Defcon did it initially work?
  • What has changed since Defcon last worked?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:02 am

The unknown authentication status means that you are not connecting to the metaserver. Thus, either the metaserver is down, or there is something wrong with your internet connection. Either of these problems would also prevent you from joining games. Check your firewall settings, and perhaps try enabling (or disabling) the port forwarding option. If neither of those work, the information requested above would be useful.

xander
U.S.A.3r
level0

Postby U.S.A.3r » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:08 am

Did you try reading this, then this?

If yes and you still have a problem after that, then:
What version of Windows are you using?
Steam or non-Steam version of Defcon?
Full or demo version of Defcon?
Has your network set-up changed recently?
Describe your local network i.e what wireless router, what firewall software, etc.
When you installed Defcon did it initially work?
What has changed since Defcon last worked

Yes, I have looked to it but it did not help :cry:
Here is the info:
-Version of OS: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3
-Steam or Non-Steam: Non-Steam
-Version of Defcon: Full, Version 1.43
-Network Setup: No changes within the last 12 weeks-Attempted DMZ (Demilitarized Zone), problem not solved-switched back afterwards
-LAN Setup: "Base Computer and Laptop" setup to "Router (Belkin Wireless G)" setup to "VOIP (Vonage Motorola Model VT2142-VD)" Setup to "Cable Modem (Scientific Atlanta Generic COMCAST)"
-When First Installed did it work?: Yes
-What has changed since stop working?:Attempted to troubleshoot on own; 1)Attempted DMZ 2)Returned to Router Backup 3)Flushed ARP and IP Subnet 4)Reset Cable Modem
U.S.A.3r
level0

Postby U.S.A.3r » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:51 am

The unknown authentication status means that you are not connecting to the metaserver. Thus, either the metaserver is down, or there is something wrong with your internet connection. Either of these problems would also prevent you from joining games. Check your firewall settings, and perhaps try enabling (or disabling) the port forwarding option. If neither of those work, the information requested above would be useful.

xander

I wonder, is the metaserver down? My internet connection is fine, I can access all kinds of other places just not on defcon. Btw, I already tried the the information that DinoSteve posted but it did not work.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:26 am

Do you see any games in the browser? If yes, the metaserver is up.

xander
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:03 pm

I receive that message when I am at work, because most ports are blocked by our IT department. *shakes fist*

Edit: It may seem strange, but trying to view a Dedcon file might help in troubleshooting. If it doesn't show up on the metaserver, you can try connecting directly with the IP method, via the filter in Defcon.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
U.S.A.3r
level0

Postby U.S.A.3r » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:34 am

It may seem strange, but trying to view a Dedcon file might help in troubleshooting. If it doesn't show up on the metaserver, you can try connecting directly with the IP method, via the filter in Defcon

Where could I find this "Dedcon" File?
U.S.A.3r
level0

Postby U.S.A.3r » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:03 am

I have officially attempted everything in the support page, and every trick up my sleeve (from Port Fowarding to DMZ to direct connection to clean reinstall of defcon to all ports and connections WIDE OPEN). The only things I could come up with now is that the Metaserver is doing maintenence (if it is undergoing it THEY COULD OF AT LEAST TOLD US in advance) or my computer hates me (sometimes it gets sooo sassy). One thing though, could having the key reimplemented into my laptop for travel and going to my friends house (which by the way are on a totally separate IP (no internet sharing here!)) have anything to do with my misfortune? :idea:
DinoSteve
level3
level3

Postby DinoSteve » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:12 pm

U.S.A.3r wrote:-LAN Setup: "Base Computer and Laptop" setup to "Router (Belkin Wireless G)" setup to "VOIP (Vonage Motorola Model VT2142-VD)" Setup to "Cable Modem (Scientific Atlanta Generic COMCAST)"

Don't really understand what you're trying to say there as it would seem you're quoting actions for a set-up program for a particular router, which is only helpful on the forums for that router. Your router is VT2142-VD, right? And does that have in-built wireless or do you have a separate wireless router connected to that VOIP router?

What firewall software are you using on your machine? The inbuilt Windows one? Norton? ZoneAlarm?

U.S.A.3r wrote:I have officially attempted everything in the support page, and every trick up my sleeve (from Port Fowarding to DMZ to direct connection to clean reinstall of defcon to all ports and connections WIDE OPEN)

Did you try following instructions from portforward.com, or your router manufacturer, to ensure you was correctly forwarding ports?

U.S.A.3r wrote:The only things I could come up with now is that the Metaserver is doing maintenence (if it is undergoing it THEY COULD OF AT LEAST TOLD US in advance)

Considering the lack of notification regarding maintenance, the length of time that has passed, no one else complaining of the same problem, and that I can see a list of games in the Server Browser, I believe it's safe to assume the Metaserver is not down. Your friend should be able to confirm this.

U.S.A.3r wrote:or my computer hates me (sometimes it gets sooo sassy). One thing though, could having the key reimplemented into my laptop for travel and going to my friends house (which by the way are on a totally separate IP (no internet sharing here!)) have anything to do with my misfortune? :idea:

It would seem that either your firewall or router is misconfigured, despite your attempts. Did you check the settings of the firewall on your machine, or even temporarily disabled it?

Trying to use the same key simultaneously on different machines could cause a problem, and, if across multiple IPs, could lead to your key being banned. How many machines are you trying to use at once? Is there anything special about your connection such as a proxy or restrictions you can't control? Can you see any games listed in the Server Browser? Is your friend able to play using their connection? Are you able to play using your laptop and their connection? Is your friend using your key when you're trying to play? Basically, tell us everything explicitly (since we can't read your mind) about what you've tried and done, what worked and what didn't i.e describe what you did, and how, initially when Defcon use to work and what is now different (I'm guessing when you first installed Defcon you weren't also trying to play it at your friend's house).
Last edited by DinoSteve on Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:39 pm

Dedcon: http://dedcon.net/

Dedcon is a stand-alone program that allows you to view recordings of Defcon games.
U.S.A.3r
level0

Postby U.S.A.3r » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:48 am

@DinoSteve:
Here, let me resummarize my situation because I think its not clarified enough:
I have bought the game DEFCON from a site called Direct2Drive.com (btw the site is legal!). Now I have a code for the game. I have it installed on two computers; my desktop (the one i mainly play defcon from) and my laptop (the one that I use to play on the go or bring to my friends house). Now, I know on how most authentication systems work so I try to avoid having both computers on at the same time (in fact, I never have them both on at the same time!). But shortly after a visit to a friends house (my friend only has the demo so I came over to play on his LAN).

Now heres what I think may be causing my issue (though I am unsure on how defcon registers my laptop and copyright blah blah blah... correct me if I am wrong):
-Once i went to my friends house, the change in ip may have caused the auth servers to think that I put the same key on a new computer and it is putting my key into question
-The DEFCON Servers are down for an indefinite period of time (or as in theyre in for maintainence)

I see that u did not understand my setup:
-My computer -Laptop -Telephone
-Router (F5D7234-4 v4) |
- VOIP (Motorola VT2142-VD)
-Modem
-Internet

After I tried the portfoward thingy, I am baffled at whats making defcon not work on the internet

Also here are my System specs:
Emachines t6528
2.2 GHz AMD Athlon 64
nVidia GEForce 9500 GT
nVidia nForce Networking Adapter (10/100)
4GB Ram
32bit
Firewall: McAfee Firewall v. 10.45
U.S.A.3r
level0

Postby U.S.A.3r » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:04 am

Well, the meta server seems to be up again my problem is solved!

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”