suddenly laggy with Vista

Technical Support for all Defcon related issues

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Pico18
level0

suddenly laggy with Vista

Postby Pico18 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:16 pm

My father has been playing Defcon for a million years (exaggeration) on this computer and all of a sudden, some weeks ago it decides to be laggy. I have Windows Vista, and as far as I can tell, nothing has changed recently to warrant such a thing. It's more the mouse than the actual game, though the game has slowed also. He can barely get anywhere the way the mouse moves, all jumpy and awful. I've tried changing the bitrate and the graphics, windowing it and resolution.. anything I could think of, but nothing changed anything.

Can anyone relate? Can anyone help? X3
Thanks!
Pico18
level0

Postby Pico18 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:16 pm

Anybody? Please, come on. He's getting awful whiny and it's making me feel guilty. XD C'mon gimmie a hand. *begs*
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:38 pm

Restarted the computer lately? Hardware specs?
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Pico18
level0

Postby Pico18 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:48 pm

Montyphy wrote:Restarted the computer lately? Hardware specs?

Yeah I shutdown every night. I've reinstalled the game a few times, too. Nothing I do changes anything.
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:53 pm

Pico18
level0

Postby Pico18 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:34 pm

De hardware specs are where they should be, also.
Plus that, the games worked since we got it, couple few years ago. Two moths ago it decides to not work. *shrugs*
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:58 am

In order to help you, you need to tell us as much as possible. We aren't mind readers so what you don't tell us we won't know and it helps to know:

• Your hardware.
  • Defcon version.
  • Defcon type. Steam or non-Steam?
  • Graphics driver version.
  • If you've installed any software likely to affect Defcon i.e. programs that run in the background or persistently.

You may feel it's irrelevant information but something has clearly changed lately. If something hadn't changed, you wouldn't have a problem. Windows releases patch updates every month and your anti-virus should update frequently so your system should have changed over the last few years, this may have had an effect on performance.

In regards to hardware:
'Read me first before submitting a bug report!' wrote:After that we need to know your system specs. You can find all these by running dxdiag ([Go to Start and click 'Run'.
Type in: dxdiag]). The System tab lists what information we need; here's a list of what is best to add:

• Defcon type (Steam or standalone)
  • Operating System
  • Processor
  • Memory
  • DirectX version

On the Display tab lists other information that you should include:
  • Under Device:
    • Chip Type
    • Approx. Total Memory
  • Under Drivers:
    • Main Driver
    • Version
    • Date

On the Sound 1 tab lists the final bits of information you should include:
  • Under Device
    • Name
  • Under Drivers
    • Name
    • Version
    • Date

If you are not sure, include the whole dxdiag output (Click the Save All Information, and open the created file, and paste it in your post)

'Read me first before submitting a bug report!' also suggests before reporting performance issues that you update your graphics and sound drivers, did you try that? After trying that it also suggests "Setting SoundHW3D to 0 and SoundDSP to 0", did you try that?
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”