I heard you can add extra cities without mods, how do I?

Technical Support for all Defcon related issues

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Trar
level0

I heard you can add extra cities without mods, how do I?

Postby Trar » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:47 am

So, I heard that you could add extra cities to your game screen, such as Vancouver (which is, by default, not in the game). I think it has something to do with editing the .dat files, but i'm not sure what to do. Could someone give me some pointers? If it helps, I got the Steam version.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:57 am

Yeah, it's easy:
- you find the file main.dat in your game installation folder (steamapps/<something>/defcon)
- you rename it to main.rar
- you extract main.rar, yielding a data folder
- you edit the text file data/earth/cities.dat, which is more or less in an evident format

Be aware that the cities.dat file is game critical and thus, once you modified it, you can no longer play online.

Also, you should probably read this sticky in a more relevant forum: http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon ... php?t=2912
Trar
level0

Postby Trar » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:25 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:Yeah, it's easy:
- you find the file main.dat in your game installation folder (steamapps/<something>/defcon)
- you rename it to main.rar
- you extract main.rar, yielding a data folder
- you edit the text file data/earth/cities.dat, which is more or less in an evident format

Be aware that the cities.dat file is game critical and thus, once you modified it, you can no longer play online.

Also, you should probably read this sticky in a more relevant forum: http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon ... php?t=2912

I don't know if I want to sacrifice online play just to put in a few cities. I'll check out the thread for a hopefully alternative solution.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:53 pm

You may get away without sync errors if you just rename cities that are normally on the map.

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”