Vista: 100% CPU Usage? Strange crashes?

Technical Support for all Defcon related issues

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Why?
level5
level5

Vista: 100% CPU Usage? Strange crashes?

Postby Why? » Sat May 23, 2009 5:00 am

I recently bought a new computer and switched from XP to Vista-64. I had heard of many problems with Vista, but I needed it to use my dual-core processor; and the Hybrid SLI feature on my motherboard. However, I soon ran into many strange, new problems. Defcon would use ~100% of my processor and my nVidia display driver would fail at random. Also, other games would freeze after playing for too long.

Searching the web, I found many other people were having similar problems with Vista(mostly non-gamers), but there weren't many viable solutions offered. I'd already tried everything possible with my video drivers and settings, but it didn't get better. After much tinkering, I've found the solution! I hope to save someone else the pain in the ass this has been.

***note: If you are only using your on-board graphics chipset, it's gonna hog your CPU, no matter what. You've gotta get a video card to fix this.

1st: And most important... Update your BIOS! Go to the website of your motherboard manufacturer and download the latest version. Then read and follow their instructions CAREFULLY! Interrupting the flash, or installing the wrong BIOS can permanently disable your motherboard. (Not permanently, but you have to send it back to the manufacturer, to fix.)

I thought, because my motherboard was a 2008 model, that flashing the BIOS would be the last thing I'd need to do. However, it seems that every mobo manufacturer has been having problems making their BIOS compliant with Vista. ASUS already had 7 BIOS updates, for this one model.

2nd: Your problem may already be fixed, but Vista is loaded with memory-hogging and processor-hogging CRAP that you will never ever want or need. So lets turn it all off, and get Vista up to speed.

-- Go to the Start menu and type 'services' in the search bar. Open Services and find the "Desktop Window Manager..." Right-Click>Stop
Then, Right-Click>Properties>Start-up type>Disabled>Apply>OK>Exit Services. You'll lose window animation and transparency, but you'll gain 3% of your processor back, and noticeable speed.

--Next, go to the Start menu search bar again, and type 'MSconfig'. Open MSconfig and click the 'Services' tab. Then DESELECT the following services: Computer Browser , Offline Files, IP Helper, KtmRm for Disturbed..., Server, Performance Logs & Alerts, IPsec Policy Agent, Remote Access(both), Remote Registry, Smart Card Removal Policy, Secondary Logon, Windows Image Acquisition,Terminal Services, Disturbed Link Tracking File, Windows Remote Management, Windows Media Player Network, & Windows Update You may want to keep Windows Update, but I hate it. You can also disable some other things, if you know what you're doing. (Like Telephony, or the Firewall, if you have a 3rd party app.)

After you have all these things deselected, click Apply>OK

You're done! Your CPU usage should now hover around 50%, when playing Defcon, and no more crashes!

My CPU specifications:
500-watt Silencer
Asus M3N78 Pro mobo (w/ GeForce 8300 chipset)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (3-Ghz dual-core)
GeForce 9400GT
4Gb Corsair RAM

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”