Space bar no longer working to deselect units? c++ dll prob?

Technical Support for all Defcon related issues

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Corona
level0

Space bar no longer working to deselect units? c++ dll prob?

Postby Corona » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:25 pm

Hi chaps,

I had this problem on my laptop a while back and never resolved it.

After a while, and it never happened before on this desktop machine- but in Defcon space bar stops working in order to de select units.. This happens either while playing or placing my stuff. I figured it was a hardware problem in the past, but everything has been working 100% up til now

The chat window also doesn't get re-selected by simply pressing enter ...

About 20 minutes previous to this starting on my desktop machine, I installed a freeware utility which replaced or updated mfc71.dll (or similar..) I just installed the new IE7 to see if that would overwrite whatever had changed but I still have the same problem..

Space bar works fine in other windows applications; but doesnt work properly any more in Defcon as of about half an hour ago

Does anyone have any suggestions? Have you seen this before?

I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 3

EDIT: The three potentially changed files are system32\mfc71ud.dll msvcp71d.dll and msvcr71d.dll but I don't want to just remove them..

Thanks
iRadiated
level2
level2

Postby iRadiated » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:40 pm

have you tried reinstalling defcon ?
Corona
level0

Postby Corona » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:04 am

Reinstalled the client, same behaviour. No takers? :/
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:29 pm

As far as I know, Defcon doesn't use any of those libraries. Certainly not the MFC one. If you want to test that, move the libs away and start Defcon, if it refuses to run at all, it needed them :)

Which freeware utility did you install? It may have been malware.
Corona
level0

Postby Corona » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:54 am

Thanks for the reply. It was a utility called Noki from nokisoft.com, which should be pretty innocuous and didn't trigger an alert

I renamed the dll files and it didn't make a difference, so then I ran SFC /SCANNOW which seemed to do the trick. Also turned off anything not required in msconfig so really I'm not 100% of the cause but it's back to normal now.

cheers

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”