Technical Support for all Defcon related issues

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Elmlea
level0

Can't Join any Multiplayer games; help!

Postby Elmlea » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:12 am

Hello all,

I can't get into any MP games anymore.

I'm running the game through Steam, accessing the internet wirelessly through a router. I've tried disabling UPnP, adding my computer's IP address to the router's DMZ, and setting up a port forwarding rule for UDP ports 5010-5011.

I connect to the metaserver alright and get the list of available servers, but whenever I choose one to join it goes awry. I get the dialogue saying "connecting" but I either get 20-odd attempts with no luck, or it connects immediately and turns that bar but the "receiving" bar stays at rock bottom, with the "time remaining" clock flicking around randomly around the 8 minute mark, up and down, while beeping away.

Every so often I get straight into one with no problem, normally an empty Dedcon server. Joining a game in progress though is impossible, even if I just want to spectate, it tends to get as far as loading the chat box then gives me all these connection errors.

Does anyone have any tips?

Cheers,

Elmlea
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:37 pm

Does playing wired cause the same problem? If not, there is something fishy with your wireless configuration.
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
Elmlea
level0

Postby Elmlea » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:40 pm

Disappointingly, yes. There are some servers I can get on immediately, but the majority jam on "receiving" with little or no movement of the red bar, and the time shuffling around randomly around the 8 minute mark.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:21 pm

The next time you're on an empty dedcon, wait a bit, then say "/ping" and note the results. Post them here. Wild speculation: It could be that your ISP is mistaking Defcon network traffic for some file sharing thing that they throttle.

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”