level0

1.43 Problem

Postby rams-fan-nick » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:06 pm

When I try and install the patch I get the following error message:

C:\Program Files\Defcon\Defcon.exe

An error occurred while trying to replace the existing file:
DeleteFile failed: code 5
Access is denied

Click Retry to try again, ignore to skip this file (not recommended) or abort to cancel installation.

:(

Any pointers?
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:38 pm

I think there was a topic about this same error a little while back.

Check it out: http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon ... php?t=4908

edit: from that other topic:
Rogviler wrote:I've had the same issue on two different computers, and before too many people start screaming about the game being open when you're trying to update (which it definitely wasn't for me, I'm almost smart enough to have figured that out on my own...), just boot into Safe Mode (turn the computer on and almost immediately hit F8 a bunch of times until it gives you a screen to select Safe Mode) and then install the patch. That's the only thing that has worked for me.

I suspect that it has something to do with previous patches combined with certain hardware/software conditions. It's semi-rare, but like I said I've had two completely different computers do it, so I doubt I'm just crazy.

Good luck!

-Rog
Rogviler
level2
level2

Postby Rogviler » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:44 am

Indeed. So it looks like this is becoming less rare. I wonder what the deal is... It's happened with every patch since 1.4 for me, and in fact I was putting off the 1.43 because of it (since I normally don't restart my computer that much, just put it to sleep), but sure enough it did the same thing when I finally bit the bullet.

It's annoying at worst, but hardly enough for me to complain much.

-Rog
torq
level3
level3

Re: 1.43 Problem

Postby torq » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:32 am

rams-fan-nick wrote:When I try and install the patch I get the following error message:

C:\Program Files\Defcon\Defcon.exe

An error occurred while trying to replace the existing file:
DeleteFile failed: code 5
Access is denied

Click Retry to try again, ignore to skip this file (not recommended) or abort to cancel installation.

:(

Any pointers?

Have you quit Defcon before installing the patch? Though I might be wrong, I think this may be the only reason.

Well, with tools like Process Explorer you can find out which process is holding that file and release it. (It's free and VERY USEFUL. It can completely replace the standard Task Manager).
NMO
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:57 pm

I never screamed it, just pointed out that it was the problem. :wink:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Rogviler
level2
level2

Postby Rogviler » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:56 pm

I will agree that part of the program hanging around in memory (but not necessarily "running") IS the problem, but people being so dumb that they're somehow leaving the game actually running while trying to update is not what's happening.

I can say for certainty that I quit Defcon, checked the Task Manager (nothing in either processes or applications), shut down my computer completely and waited a bit before turning it back on (what they call a hard reset), and it still wouldn't update. I finally tried the Safe Mode fix, which is the only thing that has worked, although it won't work with most other programs. So I feel like there's a real problem, especially since a different person reports it once every few weeks or so. Is it THAT bad? Of course not. A minor inconvenience once you know what to do.

My irritation with people saying that it must be the program still running isn't directed at anyone in particular, just the general flood of "lolz, u have to quit teh game first, lol, duh stoopid" variations that people with the problem seem to receive. And I'm more irritated that we, as forum regulars, can't remember that a good suggestion was made for the problem not that long ago (props to torig for being the first), and point them to that.

But I am impressed with the fact that nobody has said "Use the search, jerkoff!" :D

Again, not trying to bait anyone, I just want everyone to remember that there's a simple solution for this problem, and more importantly, just because you're new to the forums doesn't mean that you're a total retard.

-Rog

P.S. With:

torq wrote:Have you quit Defcon before installing the patch? Though I might be wrong, I think this may be the only reason.

I have officially lost it and have just broken my television.
rams-fan-nick
level0

Postby rams-fan-nick » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:50 pm

Cheers guys, I'll give the safe mode fix a go :wink:

EDIT - yay! it worked. It definitely wasn't running the time I got error 5, as I tried installing today straight after boot up and I still got the error. Anyway, cheers for the help :)
stool pigeon
level0

Postby stool pigeon » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:42 pm

I've had the same problem with EVERY patch, and on 2 different pc's. The solution I found was to restart in 'safe mode', install the patch and restart in normal Windows. Nice and simple!
Wafna
level0

Postby Wafna » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:04 pm

Rogviler wrote:But I am impressed with the fact that nobody has said "Use the search, jerkoff!" :D

I used the search... figured there might be someone getting the same error. :D

thanks for having an archive worth searching? I suppose I'll see some of you around in game. or rather, some of you might see me. I only just got the game. :P

Cheers!

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”