Steam: Authentification status : key revoked

Technical Support for all Defcon related issues

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Taedal
level2
level2

Postby Taedal » Fri May 11, 2007 6:00 pm

Thank you MrBongo.

Have a look here for the steam support word on this.

This doesnt work for me, nor does deleting the auth key file in the relevant directory. I would agree it is likely a problem at valve's end with authing and I have submitted a query to them. But some official word would be nice, especially as some having the problem are brand new customers, it's not a great introduction.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Fri May 11, 2007 6:15 pm

I'm able to reproduce the problem. IV as been informed and from what I heard an inquiry have been send to Valve.

Taedal wrote:Have a look here for the steam support word on this.

It's normally the way to fix this problem, but there seems to be something unusual going on.
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
MrBongo
level1
level1

Postby MrBongo » Fri May 11, 2007 6:19 pm

Well, I'm glad if IV is attempting to resolve the issue with Valve. This is both my first purchase of an IV game, as well as my first purchase via digital distribution (Steam), and it hasn't been entirely pleasant. :)
MrBongo
level1
level1

Postby MrBongo » Fri May 11, 2007 6:30 pm

Out of curiosity FrenchFrog, if you are able to reproduce the error, can you also resolve it on your end?
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri May 11, 2007 7:16 pm

MrBongo wrote:Well, I'm glad if IV is attempting to resolve the issue with Valve. This is both my first purchase of an IV game, as well as my first purchase via digital distribution (Steam), and it hasn't been entirely pleasant. :)

To their credit, IV is very quick to resolve problems relative to their resources (very small staff). Heck, they're faster than much bigger companies.

I'm wondering what the benefit to purchasing a Steam version is?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Taedal
level2
level2

Postby Taedal » Fri May 11, 2007 7:34 pm

Benefits for me were it was simple, quick, and patches are handled automatically. I didn't have to wait for mail order, i got the game instaneously.

Downsides are that I now can't play the game.

On a side note.

I would prefer to not have to see you so steadfastedly defending IV. I find many of the posts here so sycophantic as to beggar belief. You come across as someone with a personal stake in the issue. I'm sure you don't but the unquestioned loyalty is off putting, and more to the point decidely irritating when I am stuck here unable to play.

I suspect you wouldn't like to face the same if you found you couldn't play Defcon one day. To have someone say, well whats the benefits of [buying it however you did, in a different way to me which does work] - implying you should have used another purchasing channel. When clearly it is a service offered, money has been accepted, and it should be supported. As if to say, simply, stop complaining, I like IV.

We have clearly outlined the problem, there has been no response from any one. You or others like you maintain, unasked, in a trouble shooting forum that its all fine really, or perhaps even that it is variously, my fault for offering to beta software for IV, or even for purchasing the game in a different way to you.

Stop it. If you can't help, we don't want to hear defenses or accusations of any sort. We simply want to get the game working.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri May 11, 2007 7:50 pm

Taedal wrote:--==<snip>==--

1) This is a forum for fans. Yes, there are sections for troubleshooting, but, by and large, the community that posts here is made up of fans. People here tend to support IV. Sycophantically, even, in some cases. If you don't want to have to put up with people steadfastly defending IV, then this is not the place that you should be.

2) The Steam version is different from the IV version of Defcon. Steam hands out auth codes, but revokes them from time to time, to keep you honest, or something. Ace Rimmer, noting that people are having problems with Steam, asked a perfectly valid question -- why buy from them if there is so much trouble? Also, in terms of the advantages you outline, buying from IV is simple, quick, and you don't have to wait for mail order. The only advantage that you list that is really an advantage is patching.

3) The problem that you are having seems to be a problem with the way in which Steam is handling auth codes. It took most of the first page to get that sorted. The problem needs to be worked out between Valve and IV. It looks like they are hashing it out. May I also note that there has been a response from frenchfrog (who works closely with IV) stating that they are working on a solution.

xander
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri May 11, 2007 8:22 pm

Taedal wrote:Stop it. If you can't help, we don't want to hear defenses or accusations of any sort. We simply want to get the game working.

I apologize for seeming abrasive or negative towards you in any way, certainly not my intent. My question about Steam was out of mere curiosity, not derogatory in any way. Looking from the outside in, it seems strange to have a "middle-man", although I can see why not having to worry about patching your game could be a good thing for some people.

I also want to get the game working for you (and the others in this thread). However, as I stated before, I have no experience with Steam which is why I haven't posted any real solutions. My posts (in this thread) are more of...

A. "hey, multiple people are paying attention to you're troubles and trying to figure out a solution"
B. I want to become better educated about problems that occur so future players will have another resource.
C. Because even I might spot something someone else may have missed.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Taedal
level2
level2

Postby Taedal » Fri May 11, 2007 11:35 pm

Fair enough ace. I did feel a bit bad after making that post, I realised perhaps I was a little defensive. It's just a slightly frustrating situation, but i'm sure it will be sorted.

Also I appreciate the amount you give to the defcon community and totally respect that. Keep up the good work ;)

edit. Xander - Ok. I do put up with support from IV, i like to support them myself in fact, but it's just not quite what i wanted to hear right there. I should add i have missed any feedback that this is being worked on from IV, and didn't know frenchfrog was involved, but appreciuate you letting me know.
ceenda
level0

Postby ceenda » Sat May 12, 2007 1:04 am

Ace Rimmer wrote:I'm wondering what the benefit to purchasing a Steam version is?

NONE. Absolutely NONE. With hindsight I would never have bought it via Steam. I guess the idea of a self-contained, easily downloadable, easily managable directory of games seemed like a good idea. In reality, at least from my perspective, it has been none of these things.

I'm tempted to buy the game again directly from IV, for 3 reasons.

1. Support that's actually acknowledged within a fortnight.
2. Financial support to a good independant developer at the source.
3. Better chance of an authentication key that works without Valve/Steam getting in the way.
MrBongo
level1
level1

Postby MrBongo » Sat May 12, 2007 3:24 pm

Has any progress been made between IV and Valve? I've yet to see an official reply or acknowledgement from either. :?
ceenda
level0

Postby ceenda » Sat May 12, 2007 4:42 pm

I've posted this on the Steam->DEFCON forum as well.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... p?t=560280
Gen. Ripper
level3
level3

Postby Gen. Ripper » Sun May 13, 2007 1:29 am

it seems im a victem of this too, having only demo funtions now...I have re-installed twice, deleted the authkey file, and all still to no help....

Wahhh!
sprthompson
level0

ridiculou

Postby sprthompson » Sun May 13, 2007 11:17 am

I'm having the same problem.
I very occasionally play defcon and have never install a beta version. Defcon seems incredibly poorly managed because whenver I try and play there is always a problem of some kind, servers over-loaded, authentication issues.. for a game that depends on servers working you'd expect there to be people managing those servers.
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Chris » Sun May 13, 2007 11:32 pm

Yes we are experiencing the same problem with our Steam copies of the game. This problem affects anyone who buys the game via steam at the moment, or anyone who's steam key is re-issued (this happens automatically once a month for all steam users). At this point we do not know exactly what has gone wrong, but we've been in contact with Valve to try to sort it out.

We need to make it clear that you can not rely on installing our patches over steam versions - this will definately go wrong. The reason is that steam customers are issued a different type of authentication key - one that only lasts one month. Steam automatically re-issues you with a new authentication key once every month, and your old one is revoked. If you install our patches in your Steam directory this process will not happen correctly, and you will not receive your new key. Right now the Steam system that issues new keys isn't working for Defcon, and this is causing the problem's you are experiencing.

Sorry for the problems you're having. We will have this fixed as soon as we can.

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”