Bug Report: Issues running Defcon (win 1.0) on dual-core ...

Technical Support for all Defcon related issues

Moderator: Defcon moderators

jokeyrhyme
level1
level1

Bug Report: Issues running Defcon (win 1.0) on dual-core ...

Postby jokeyrhyme » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:52 am

First off, this is a great game. I'm looking forward to the Linux port, and could I suggest a win64 version?

BUG:
Anyway, I've noticed that the game flickers when run on my AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ (dual-core). I even had problems keeping clients in sync over a (admittedly) 802.11g wireless network. Basically, the visuals flicker a bit, and overall the game doesn't feel especially stable. I have to assume that this bug could appear on any system which presents more than one CPU to the operating system.

FIX:
I use the Task Manager to set the CPU Affinity to just one CPU. The problem disappears immediately, no restart necessary. In fact, each time the game is run, the affinity needs to be set. This isn't the first game I've noticed have problems with multi-core systems, so I'm used to checking this first when something goes wrong.

SUGGESTION:
Is there a way to get Defcon to either detect multi-core or multi-CPU systems and automatically request a singular affinity?
Or, maybe whatever synchronization issue is occuring because of concurrent execution could be looked at (way more time consuming, I think)?

I'm available for testing if you need me. Also, if this is just my computer and no-one else has this bug, then just ignore it.

Again, love your work, guys!
Edn
level0

Postby Edn » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:28 am

I have been running Defcon on my X2 4400+ & XP64 with no similar issues so far, that said it my just be your version of processor ive had other games that run fine but some people have problems with it on the 3800+
Steven
level2
level2

Re: Bug Report: Issues running Defcon (win 1.0) on dual-core

Postby Steven » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:46 am

jokeyrhyme wrote:I have to assume that this bug could appear on any system which presents more than one CPU to the operating system.

Works fine for me on an Intel Core Duo T2600. I believe your problem could have another solution than the one you provide, but my best suggestion from the get-go would be to close -everything- that isn't necessary, and try it then. If that fails, you may want to check for a graphics card driver update.

There are simple ways to code in an affinity (SetThreadAffinityMask API), but it's usually best to let the operating system handle the threading.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:55 am

This sounds exactly like the dual-core issue from Darwinia, of which the solution for that is here:
http://forums.introversion.co.uk/darwin ... 9575#29575

Hopefully that should work better than having to force affinity.

NeoThermic
jokeyrhyme
level1
level1

Postby jokeyrhyme » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:12 am

Thanks for that. It should have occured to me to "search" the forums.

I installed the AMD driver for dual-core systems and everything works great. It's kinda' annoying that this sort of thing isn't built into Windows. It should have been in a Windows Update or something.

Processors are the one thing I am completely unaccustomed to having to download drivers for. Oh, and I guess cases and power supplies fall into that category too. I wonder how far off we are from having to download those too? :)
Steven
level2
level2

Postby Steven » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:14 am

jokeyrhyme wrote:I installed the AMD driver for dual-core systems and everything works great. It's kinda' annoying that this sort of thing isn't built into Windows. It should have been in a Windows Update or something.

AMD does things like that. Glad to hear it's working!
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:19 am

jokeyrhyme wrote:Processors are the one thing I am completely unaccustomed to having to download drivers for. Oh, and I guess cases and power supplies fall into that category too. I wonder how far off we are from having to download those too? :)

What you're actually downloading for your CPU is an ACPI profile so windows is actually aware it has two CPU's to use. But yes, an otherwise strainge thing to have to do :)

NeoThermic

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”