Navy Setups

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

User avatar
Thanatos I Am
level1
level1
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:43 pm
Location: USA

Navy Setups

Postby Thanatos I Am » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:42 pm

I have played many (probably too many) games of defcon now, and i think it is safe to say I have seen everytype of Naval setup.
Ranging from a "pinwheel" setup to a single boat per unit setup.
I just thought i would give my 2 cents on the subject.
----
I believe in a diplomacy game mode, the single boat setup works best. That is if you are the territories Russia, Europe, Usa, China.
Spreading out you BS in a curved line works best for me in defending a coast. Then of course you have the carriers sitting behind with some in B-2 mode and some (preferably closer to the BS) in fighter mode.
Lastly spread subs out in front or with BS in active sonar.
---
While this setup offers a "weak spot" around the whole entire blockade, it offers maximum coverage for defending against subs.
If you find yourself being attacked from point, move some more navy from "peaceful" part of the blockade to support your cause there.
---
Just my two cents.
Please reply if you like or don't like. If you don't like PLEASE reply with different strategy.
---
Off topic question... How do you take a screenshot on MAC?
Canada command
level1
level1
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:05 pm
Location: Canada!!!

Postby Canada command » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:57 pm

You havent seen all naval battles they always change
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16863
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Riverside, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: Navy Setups

Postby xander » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:12 pm

Thanatos I Am wrote:Off topic question... How do you take a screenshot on MAC?

In Defcon, press "P". Otherwise, CMD+SHIFT+3.

xander
User avatar
Captain Jean-Luc Picard
level1
level1
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:15 pm
Location: your mama bedroom

Postby Captain Jean-Luc Picard » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:17 pm

Why are you even reading this ? I suggest you to go away, to lounge.
User avatar
Lord_Haw_Haw
level3
level3
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:51 pm

Re: Navy Setups

Postby Lord_Haw_Haw » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:05 pm

Thanatos I Am wrote:I have played many (probably too many) games of defcon now, and i think it is safe to say I have seen everytype of Naval setup.
Ranging from a "pinwheel" setup to a single boat per unit setup.
I just thought i would give my 2 cents on the subject.
----
I believe in a diplomacy game mode, the single boat setup works best. That is if you are the territories Russia, Europe, Usa, China.
Spreading out you BS in a curved line works best for me in defending a coast. Then of course you have the carriers sitting behind with some in B-2 mode and some (preferably closer to the BS) in fighter mode.
Lastly spread subs out in front or with BS in active sonar.
---
While this setup offers a "weak spot" around the whole entire blockade, it offers maximum coverage for defending against subs.
If you find yourself being attacked from point, move some more navy from "peaceful" part of the blockade to support your cause there.
---
Just my two cents.
Please reply if you like or don't like. If you don't like PLEASE reply with different strategy.
---
Off topic question... How do you take a screenshot on MAC?




I always see the single ship per unit as opportunity for me too attack!

LHH
Deadcows
level2
level2
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:40 pm

Postby Deadcows » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:59 pm

Im quite sure u havent seen R3Ds supertight panzer fleet or Batons single ship and wider front tactics which even i dont understand.
User avatar
Lord_Haw_Haw
level3
level3
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:51 pm

Postby Lord_Haw_Haw » Fri May 10, 2013 12:38 am

Deadcows wrote:Im quite sure u havent seen R3Ds supertight panzer fleet or Batons single ship and wider front tactics which even i dont understand.



Sorry for my late reply,I have seen R3Ds panzer flotte in action on diplomacy and it was awesome! Even if his overall action in the game led too his unhappy defeat. I cant recall if I have seen Baton navy in action.


LHH
User avatar
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5
Posts: 1440
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:32 am

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Fri May 10, 2013 1:09 am

Its good.
-SH
User avatar
Baton101
level4
level4
Posts: 694
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:53 am
Location: Middle earth

Postby Baton101 » Fri May 10, 2013 8:13 am

As i saw more than once......fleet formations doesnt matter to much...once played with ace rimmer he placed 6 fleets all :) it was equal match.
Deadcows
level2
level2
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:40 pm

Postby Deadcows » Fri May 10, 2013 2:05 pm

Lord_Haw_Haw wrote:
Deadcows wrote:Im quite sure u havent seen R3Ds supertight panzer fleet or Batons single ship and wider front tactics which even i dont understand.



Sorry for my late reply,I have seen R3Ds panzer flotte in action on diplomacy and it was awesome! Even if his overall action in the game led too his unhappy defeat. I cant recall if I have seen Baton navy in action.


LHH

That reply was meant for thanatos but oh well. :lol:
User avatar
Thanatos I Am
level1
level1
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:43 pm
Location: USA

Postby Thanatos I Am » Fri May 10, 2013 9:44 pm

Panser? Can you explain?
Thanatos I Am
Deadcows
level2
level2
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:40 pm

Postby Deadcows » Fri May 10, 2013 9:55 pm

Panzer fleet - Ultra tightly packed fleet for maximum firepower and radar coverage around itself. I think thats the correct explanation.
Dosent work in diplo. It much worse than ungrouped fleet(only in diplo).
User avatar
Thanatos I Am
level1
level1
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:43 pm
Location: USA

Postby Thanatos I Am » Sat May 11, 2013 12:38 am

Thanks :)
Thanatos I Am
User avatar
AIRburst95
level3
level3
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:01 am
Location: Seattle(ish), WA

Postby AIRburst95 » Sat May 11, 2013 2:34 am

Deadcows wrote:Panzer fleet - Ultra tightly packed fleet for maximum firepower and radar coverage around itself. I think thats the correct explanation.
Dosent work in diplo. It much worse than ungrouped fleet(only in diplo).


ahem... naval nukes.
Deadcows
level2
level2
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:40 pm

Postby Deadcows » Sat May 11, 2013 8:09 am

AIRburst95 wrote:
Deadcows wrote:Panzer fleet - Ultra tightly packed fleet for maximum firepower and radar coverage around itself. I think thats the correct explanation.
Dosent work in diplo. It much worse than ungrouped fleet(only in diplo).


ahem... naval nukes.


And thats why you should ungroup your fleet at start of Defcon 1 or even little bit before. I thought this was common knowledge to expirienced players.

Return to “Strategic Air Command”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests