how to play like Mogwai :P

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

zoros dog
level2
level2

how to play like Mogwai :P

Postby zoros dog » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:18 pm

i miss mogwai, he taught me so much about fleet battles :(. i even learned to mimic him. this is how:

the first trick you need to learn is the placement trick.

first place two battleships:

then prepare two carriers to place (don't place them just prepare them), and then put your mouse in the middle of the battleships. make sure you're zoomed in. notice that the carriers are grey because you can't place them:

slowly move your mouse down until the carriers light up, meaning you can place them. you can place them here if you want, or you can move your mouse left or right to angle your fleet. i choose to angle my fleet slightly in the coming screenshots:

keep repeating and alternating battleships and carriers, and you'll end up with a very pretty fleet formation like this:

that's how you place the ships perfectly like mogwai. now, to move your ships in perfect harmony you need to use the order target circle as a reference for every click you do:

Keep your orders tab on. first you move your top battleships, then you select the carriers under it and use the order target of the battleship as your reference. I like to use the triangle point of the order target, which is here:

so for ever order you do, use the previous order circle target as your reference. make the spot you choose consistent with each order. in the below pictures, i don't click directly on the triangle point of the previous order target. i click slightly to the right of it, because my fleet is angled that way as you can see in the picture earlier. but if your fleet is moving in a straight vertical line left or right, then you should use the point of the triangle circle. this is what i do for my angled fleet:

keep repeating it until you finish all the ships. do it at 1x speed so your ships move together and the line doesn't break. and there you have it, perfect orders :) :

notice the movement trail behind the ships. they are moving perfectly parallel to each other:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Nightwatch
level5
level5

Postby Nightwatch » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:23 pm

one seanuke....
zoros dog
level2
level2

Postby zoros dog » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:25 pm

just rush them before defcon 1 and eat them :P and use ship stopping trick for dodging sea nuke. and dont forget to send out all bomber at defcon 3 :-)
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:25 pm

That doesn't look very... robust :roll:
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:37 pm

This is why Mogwai isn’t a Boss, just a gremlin. :p

mvpe once questioned my claim that 12 tightly packed subs nuked better than 12 spread subs attacking the same cities. I tested it out and found he was more or less correct. That is, 6 nukes hitting one city at a time all at the exact same millisecond isn't any better than 6 nukes attacking different cities, when you have all 12 subs launching at the same time.

This is why I don't try to perfect silo syncs anymore, unless it's some strange angle 12 subs > 6 silos.

I also have a suspicion that tightly packed fleets aren't as effective as people are led to believe. BB's vs fighters is a different animal though.

In short, while it's aesthetically pleasing, it's not as functional as it appears, although a great many players could do with some proper fleet organization. In my mind, (MOR) would call it 'hive thinking' (ships in a region working as one unit, not 15 separate ones).
Nightwatch
level5
level5

Postby Nightwatch » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:45 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:I also have a suspicion that tightly packed fleets aren't as effective as people are led to believe.
Schschhhhhh!
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:49 pm

I copied some stuff of Mogwai too, where is he, damn it.
The use of orders tab made it possible for me to have strong fleet formations and effective carpet bombings. And his symmetry gave me the opportunity for some early triangulation success :P
zoros dog
level2
level2

Postby zoros dog » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:00 pm

ace what do you mean?? of course tightly packed fleets are better!
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:05 pm

Better than what? That's the question. I never said they weren't, I said they aren't as effective as people believe. What I mean is there's a line somewhere between optimum effeciency + fleet formation vs overly obsessive formation + lose of effeciency due to managment requirements.

There is such a thing as too organized. ;p
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
zoros dog
level2
level2

Postby zoros dog » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:08 pm

oh well what i meant was better than spread ships xD
Nightwatch
level5
level5

Postby Nightwatch » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:14 pm

And its not.
Tight formations sharply reduce flexibility. It has a chance to work when you can iniate battle on your own terms, but when playing against someone as good or almost as good as you, Murphy shows up and you are in world of hurt.
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:20 pm

Haha, yeah, when I build the perfect line I always get attacked at about 90 degrees angle :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
zoros dog
level2
level2

Postby zoros dog » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:21 pm

well if you do get attacked at a 90 degree angle dont you think you'll win in this setup??? xD
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:25 pm

zoros dog wrote:well if you do get attacked at a 90 degree angle dont you think you'll win in this setup??? xD

Erm... no? You'll get eaten. Lined fleet is good only when it's parallel to enemy fleet.
zoros dog
level2
level2

Postby zoros dog » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:26 pm

oh thats what i mean, damn :P like in the pic in first post, the enemy fleet would be right infront of it near africa coast

Return to “Strategic Air Command”