how to play like Mogwai :P

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:34 pm

Maybe not (get eaten), if the zero turn is used to face the enemy and insta-fighter is combined. :P
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Nightwatch
level5
level5

Postby Nightwatch » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:50 pm

zoros dog wrote:oh thats what i mean, damn :P like in the pic in first post, the enemy fleet would be right infront of it near africa coast

In your dreams maybe.
In reality you might very well face something like this:

I maneuver on your flanks at will, close the trap and attack you from two directions while having much more space available to eat up your counterpush. I sustain maybe fifty percent casulties while destroying your fleet.

Ace Rimmer wrote:Maybe not (get eaten), if the zero turn is used to face the enemy and insta-fighter is combined.
Distance and room eats everything.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:54 pm

There's only one way to be sure. :wink:

(zoros dog vs Nightwatch testing it out)
Blackbeard
level4
level4

Postby Blackbeard » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:42 pm

This was the last game I played against Mogwai.

http://sfcon.demoszenen.de/dcrec/2010-0 ... _12.19.zip

If you watch the recording you will see how he expertly retreats his ships, while my front line collapses into chaos :x . So really, I think to play this way, you must actually be Moggy, or at least tune into his brainwaves or something...

Here's another one, against a more competent player (some Italian Stallion :roll: ). Same Territories

http://sfcon.demoszenen.de/dcrec/2010-0 ... _13.34.zip

I noticed three things about how moggy's navy performed.
1: The carriers gave the Battleships that little bit of extra radar to take an extra shot at incoming fighters.
2: The Carriers, being on the same level as the Battleships, gave bombers just the extra edge when encountering forward enemy battleships.
3: Enemy bombers, when they actually did get chance to fire on moggy's fleet, seemed to spread their fire evenly between each ship, possibly making each ship survive longer than if isolated.
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:43 pm

Last edited by tllotpfkamvpe on Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:32 pm

Your scenarios are flawed, we need true tests.
Nightwatch
level5
level5

Postby Nightwatch » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:45 pm

Hes right. Acting on this for years.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:19 pm

There is an analysis that could be done with Markov chains. If I get motivated, I'll write it up.

xander
Blackbeard
level4
level4

Postby Blackbeard » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:57 pm

My observations were "anecdotal" :P *goes to watch the playback again - this time paying attention*.
zoros dog
level2
level2

Postby zoros dog » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:11 am

Blackbeard wrote:1: The carriers gave the Battleships that little bit of extra radar to take an extra shot at incoming fighters.

isn't the battleship radar the same as its shooting range?
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:59 am

zoros dog wrote:
Blackbeard wrote:1: The carriers gave the Battleships that little bit of extra radar to take an extra shot at incoming fighters.

Yes, but it also takes time for the battleship's weapon to engage the inbound fighter. Hence, if the carrier radar sees a fighter first, the battleship can engage right at the edge of its combat radius.
Blackbeard
level4
level4

Postby Blackbeard » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:48 am

Blackbeard wrote:3: Enemy bombers, when they actually did get chance to fire on moggy's fleet, seemed to spread their fire evenly between each ship, possibly making each ship survive longer than if isolated.

This is what I mean, and it's only an observation of one particular fleet battle (moggy v zozo), and I don't kno nuthin about wasted shots and "stuff".

In the first scenario ^ , the Bombers see all the ships in a nice straight line and think, "YAY!! it's killing time". Unfortunatley, in teh heat of battle, the pilots forget to communicate, and each targets a different ship, thus causing only minor damage.

In the second scenario, one poor ship comes into range, and all the pilots say "FIRE!!!" thus zapping the ship like in a scene from War of the Worlds.

I know what your gonna say: we knew this all along. ...JUST DON'T CALL ME STUPID! :lol:
zoros dog
level2
level2

Postby zoros dog » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:19 pm

kudayta wrote:
zoros dog wrote:

Yes, but it also takes time for the battleship's weapon to engage the inbound fighter. Hence, if the carrier radar sees a fighter first, the battleship can engage right at the edge of its combat radius.

i dont think this is right :( i think battleships only engage something when it enters its combat range, unlike bombers.
Blackbeard
level4
level4

Postby Blackbeard » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:57 pm

zoros dog wrote:
kudayta wrote:
zoros dog wrote:

i dont think this is right :( i think battleships only engage something when it enters its combat range, unlike bombers.

Well to be honest, I haven't researched any of what I said, and all of it is probably a load of crap. if you put a row of Battleships without Carriers, they would probably kill incoming fighters just as quickly.

Return to “Strategic Air Command”