No Assets

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Would you have fired on me - even though you know i wouldnt/couldnt have fired on you?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:05 pm

No
24%
Oh Yes
65%
maybe
12%

Total votes: 17
drmaxmore
level1
level1

No Assets

Postby drmaxmore » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:05 pm

In the film Wargames the WOPR AI computer "joshau" says "strange game - the only winning move - is not to play"
see - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeOHEU7Ykyg

So I tested this theory on a diplomacy server - I placed no silos, no subs no planes - NOTHING

I also made "amusing" pleas for peace and kept declaring how i had no weapons.

Guess what - I LOST - 67.9 million deaths

I also learnt a little about human nature....
Dävid
level2
level2

Pacifism

Postby Dävid » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:03 pm

Albeit you have to mention Widow Maker and Artificial Elegance were in the game, who reputedly know no mercy!

Was a funny...errr...strategy ;-)
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:32 am

I doubt a game can serve as a test for morality. The wager is not big enough. But it can serve as a rationality test. Not letting you win seems rational :P

btw, you are not the 1st one with this idea, and it can work, good idea might to place subs.
Admiral Yoshi
level3
level3

Re: No Assets

Postby Admiral Yoshi » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:38 am

drmaxmore wrote:In the film Wargames the WOPR AI computer "joshau" says "strange game - the only winning move - is not to play"

So I tested this theory on a diplomacy server - I placed no silos, no subs no planes - NOTHING

Today, humanity isn't merciful as the past and that is one of the cruel things about it.
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Re: No Assets

Postby kudayta » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:44 am

Admiral Yoshi wrote:
drmaxmore wrote:In the film Wargames the WOPR AI computer "joshau" says "strange game - the only winning move - is not to play"

Today, humanity isn't merciful as the past and that is one of the cruel things about it.

This might be off topic for this forum, but I completely disagree with that sentiment Yoshi. If anything, humanity is becoming more merciful and far less murderous in our naturally violent existence.

Steven Pinker discusses the topic in some detail here. The Myth of the Golden Age is persistent in our culture, and has been for some time now.

The reason why the original poster lost so heavily in the game he described is not due to a lack of empathy or morality on the part of humans, it's because Defcon is a zero-sum or (in the cases of more than 2 players, negative-sum) game. It would be simply irrational for any player in that game to not exploit his enemy's weakness.
Dävid
level2
level2

Pacifism

Postby Dävid » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:31 pm

trickser wrote:I doubt a game can serve as a test for morality. The wager is not big enough. But it can serve as a rationality test. Not letting you win seems rational :P

btw, you are not the 1st one with this idea, and it can work, good idea might to place subs.

Placing subs would have definitely caused us to retaliate. I checked right away on aliance stats to see if he had any nukes. In retrospect I realise I didnt nuke him as it would have been a waste of nukes. Howeverits simply game logic to clip any score that could keep you from victory, aiming at the least protected largest population...in this case easy choice.

Remember to check how many nukes your alliance has so you dont end up doing all the work, and becoming easy prey.

All the Best
David
/AE
drmaxmore
level1
level1

Postby drmaxmore » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:00 pm

I did it purely for fun - I spose its been done before but im new!

How do i get tourney paswords?
Admiral Yoshi
level3
level3

Postby Admiral Yoshi » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:15 pm

drmaxmore wrote:I did it purely for fun - I spose its been done before but im new!

You must learn the tactics of DEFCON before you're allowed to get the tourney passwords.
roflamingo
level3
level3

Postby roflamingo » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:20 am

Admiral Yoshi wrote:
drmaxmore wrote:I did it purely for fun - I spose its been done before but im new!

You must learn the tactics of DEFCON before you're allowed to get the tourney passwords.

Fuck man, who died and made you king of Defcon?

Password is "tour" without the quotes. Enjoy!!
Last edited by roflamingo on Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:19 am

Hey drmaxmore, we have setup the tourney servers, so experienced players can play each other. Those games often last more then 2 hours. Defcon newbees usually cant take it and disconnect halfway through the game, and in a 2 v 2 team game with 2 experts vs 1 expert and 1 newbee the outcome is pretty clear at the start already.
Anyway, you can join the tourney by making a post in the tourney threat, stating your ingame name and the team you wanna join and someone will pm you the pass.

Maybe you wanna watch some games before to see if you like it at all.
to learn how to watch recordings see: http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon ... php?t=6731
to find tourney recordings go to: http://demoszenen.de/defcon/ -> search games -> Alliances are known
drmaxmore
level1
level1

Postby drmaxmore » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:42 pm

cheers guys - i keep practising - i played on one touney server when quiet but lost miserably
I normally play as Dr Max More or Jean-Luc Picard unless i feel silly....
Admiral Yoshi
level3
level3

Postby Admiral Yoshi » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:56 am

drmaxmore wrote:cheers guys - i keep practising - i played on one touney server when quiet but lost miserably
I normally play as Dr Max More or Jean-Luc Picard unless i feel silly....

:) You'll learn. Trust me, I've been to more disasterous defeats than you in DEFCON. When I first played DEFCON, I didn't know that you can go to MULTIPLAYER!!! I also read in Wikipedia that players use nuclear naval warfare or "naval nuking" for instance. Until I went to my first game and I won. The second game with me (at that time, my username is Peacekeeper) I lost miserably because I don't know how to naval nuke!!! Then I learn (with more defeats than ever) and became good, but even you say that you're good, there are better players than you think, especially when I first met Schubduse and (I think it's either Bastek or Groeteschele...) and yea, I know I'll lose to him because I can tell that he is a good player!!! And you'll learn soon enough...

Return to “Strategic Air Command”