NTNN85AA 1-Port DS1 MVPE FP Card Refurb

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Nightwatch
level5
level5

Postby Nightwatch » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:44 am

And who on earth needs a whiteboard to move his fleet?
Do i even wnat to have nice and primitive lines on one threat axis?
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:02 pm

Nightwatch wrote:And who on earth needs a whiteboard to move his fleet?
Do i even wnat to have nice and primitive lines on one threat axis?

MVPE was giving a tip to new players on how to keep track of their fleet's movement while they're still 'new'. Nothing wrong with that.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:38 pm

Last edited by tllotpfkamvpe on Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:06 pm

I noticed you didn't say anything about my video. :P

tllotpfkamvpe wrote:So you see, I'm not just making this stuff up. I've tried it and tested it and used it for over 2 years. I talked to some players about it in game. I'm not the only person who uses it. It is totaly useful to noobs and those who consider themselves "pros".

I agree with this and would use the white board for exactly this purpose, except I'm a visual learner and can see this lines in my head already.

I do use the whiteboard to create sections of enemy territory to better focus attacks from Silos, naval/land based bombers, and subs, especially in 2v2. I also use it to help with having a clean, tight, and aesthetically pleasing sub launch (when large numbers are involved).
Nightwatch
level5
level5

Postby Nightwatch » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:23 pm

tllotpfkamvpe wrote: That is funny nightwatch, cause even your hero MOR was using whiteboard back in 2008.
Yeah so?
I say nothing against the occasional line drawing.
I do however have a problem with your teaching here. You are teaching dependence on situation. One threat axis. Overflow of information.
Thats just wrong.
Fleet movement should not be dictated by drawing lines. Your fleet isnt one big bulk of firepower thats only capable of moving as a hole.
Your fleet is a living and breathing body of fully independent units and assets. Move them together but independent of each other based on situation and actual threat.
It is gathered information that shapes your assets into one distinctive combat formation.
You have to use order and nuclear tab for that. There is no overflow of information. At 1x its no problem to manage every asset in the theatre independently.

tllotpfkamvpe wrote:Shortly after that I asked mogwai (mogwai has some of the best fleet movement ever) ingame if he used the whiteboard, and he said no. He uses the orders tab all game. I found that never enough so thats when I started using the line stuff on the whiteboard.
Actually, Mogwais fleet movement is beautiful but not the best by a long shot. If he fucks up the threat axis he is toast.

tllotpfkamvpe wrote:So you see, I'm not just making this stuff up. I've tried it and tested it and used it for over 2 years. I talked to some players about it in game. I'm not the only person who uses it. It is totaly useful to noobs and those who consider themselves "pros".

I know that. I use the occasional line myself.
Its however the wrong approach to naval combat. Your noobs that read this post will move their fleets on perfect lines and will get whipped because they don’t get the actual situation.
To newbies I would say: Master the mechanics first. If your are able to manage every unit independently with order and nuclear tabs on you will be not only able to move your fleet in beautiful formation but to win even fucked up naval encounters.
I don’t use perfect manoeuvres in actual combat. You don’t need it if you know how to do stuff based on the actual situation ingame.

Dear Ace
I hate your video.
I reminds me of my shitty high end computer not being able to get the sound running.
Last edited by Nightwatch on Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schubdüse
level5
level5

Postby Schubdüse » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:27 pm

I have never used the whiteboard for navy movement. I will try it...
But of course I use it to mark targets for silos and subs launches or to mark pinging subs.
If I have to launch from south to north or vice versa with subs or silos I sometimes use vertically lines to estimate whether my nukes go east or west.
With this method I can prevent that nukes designated for one target split up.
Vorsprung durch Kraft - Triebwerke saugen - Präzisionsarbeit... Schubdüse.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:36 pm

Nightwatch wrote:Dear Ace
I hate your video.
I reminds me of my shitty high end computer not being able to get the sound running.

Haha! With vsync off, Defcon says I get something like 1200+ fps. If you have a high end computer, it's probably drivers causing the problem (?).

I have to give credit to NeoThermic and bert though, they helped out a lot selecting parts.

As for your objection to MVPE's post, I disagree it will hurt players. There are three possible outcomes:

1. They don't see it/ignore it, thus never use it because of his post.
2. They read it and ignore it.
3. They read it and try it and find that it works for them or doesn't.

I don't believe anybody will be handicapped by it. If they are, it's not because of using the whiteboard, it's because they can't overcome their own faults, as (MOR) would say; "You must fight your own mind and self".

:P

That is, the inability to improve is there regardless of using the whiteboard.
Admiral Yoshi
level3
level3

Postby Admiral Yoshi » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:50 pm

I don't really like using the whiteboard. The order tabs are easier to use.
Nightwatch
level5
level5

Postby Nightwatch » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:57 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:
Nightwatch wrote:Dear Ace
I hate your video.

Haha! With vsync off, Defcon says I get something like 1200+ fps. If you have a high end computer, it's probably drivers causing the problem (?).

I have no idea.
I worked perfect until i turned the sound of to watch a movie or something. After that, it never worked right again even after instaling it again.

Ace Rimmer wrote:
As for your objection to MVPE's post, I disagree it will hurt players. There are three possible outcomes:

1. They don't see it/ignore it, thus never use it because of his post.
2. They read it and ignore it.
3. They read it and try it and find that it works for them or doesn't.
It turns them i a wrong direction. They should search for the answers elsewhere :P
Admiral Yoshi
level3
level3

Postby Admiral Yoshi » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:03 pm

Even the line formation has weaknesses like the 6 fleet formation and the 4 fleet formation.

If a player does the timing correctly, he can outflank the opponent and kill off the fleet easily. The problem with the line formation is that not every battleship will be engaging.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:06 pm

How is the six ship or even four ship fleet better than line formation?

All formations can be flanked but a well maintained line formation can react better to flanking than any multiple ship formation due to it's extreme flexibility.
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:23 pm

Last edited by tllotpfkamvpe on Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:45 pm

I prefer positioning my ships in straight lines, although I've never used whiteboard for it. Orders tab is quite enough.
Admiral Yoshi
level3
level3

Postby Admiral Yoshi » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:37 am

Ace Rimmer wrote:How is the six ship or even four ship fleet better than line formation?

All formations can be flanked but a well maintained line formation can react better to flanking than any multiple ship formation due to it's extreme flexibility.

Flexible? Most of the fleet formations are just way too rigid.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:27 pm

I. don't. understand.

Return to “Strategic Air Command”