In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

rimbaud
level1
level1

Suicidal bombers and carriers

Postby rimbaud » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:07 pm

Hello all

This is my first post EVA so be nice. I love defcon and have been playing a lot over the last few months (as Jon) but I have these chronic problems which give me grief and I had a look in the forums but didn't find anything.

1) Bombers against battleships in naval attack mode: ideally one wants the bomber to scoot around outside of the BS firing range pinging potshots. This works fine if the bomber is on a nice perpendicular line, but once a bomber reaches a destination point and goes under its own control, deciding to attack something, it seems that there is no way on god's earth to tell the bomber to turn back. It just heads straight towards the target and it is hard to even tell to attack something else. Bombers seem to be very vulnerable to being hit on the nose so this just leads to wasted bomber.

2) Bombers nuking. It's right click to move the bomber and left click to target the nuke, am I correct? Sometimes it just seems to ignore my left click.

3) Carriers: this has been reported before, but is there anyway to minimise the carriers throwing themselves towards the enemy when one launches? It just seems to randomly decide to follow the fighters. When I reverse it, sometimes when I send another fighter, off it goes again, leading to serious shit. Needless to say this is aggravating.

Thanks all

Jon
Mogwai
level2
level2

Postby Mogwai » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:33 pm

Welcome here Jon.

1. Not much to say here you just need to redirect them with right click in time, i really dont see the problem here, Just learn how they behave and use it.

2. Yes arm the bomber, when the nuke is armed use left click to launch, right click for movement. Your problem is probably the arming time.

3. Dont launch the fighter directly on battleships, carriers or subs. Just launch it, then assign the target clicking the fighter. This stops the carrier from approaching
the hostile ship. However you can still launch directly at fighters and bombers

Hope this helps, cheers.
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Re: Suicidal bombers and carriers

Postby rus|Mike » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:36 pm

rimbaud wrote:once a bomber reaches a destination point and goes under its own control, deciding to attack something, it seems that there is no way on god's earth to tell the bomber to turn back. It just heads straight towards the target and it is hard to even tell to attack something else.

Left click on the bomber, right click on where you want it to fly. Bobmbers never go on "it's own control", you must've seen something wrong.

rimbaud wrote:2) Bombers nuking. It's right click to move the bomber and left click to target the nuke, am I correct? Sometimes it just seems to ignore my left click.

It will ignore your left click only if it's
a) not in SRBM launch mode yet (for ex. 10 sec till SRBM launch mode). In this case your order is postponed until the nuke is ready;
b) you left-clicked on a unit, not on an empty space. In this case bobme goes back to naval combat mode.
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:47 am

Last edited by tllotpfkamvpe on Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
rimbaud
level1
level1

Postby rimbaud » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:44 pm

Thanks everyone for the answers.

1) Giving them a new path is a solution, thanks, although difficult in a heated battle. If I have launched a wave of bombers and they lock on a target they seem to be almost impossible to order to break off. Am I imagining this?

2) With bombers, when I have selected a target to nuke with left click, it will DEFINITELY sometimes ignore my left clicks to fire somewhere else, even when I have clicked on empty space. Maybe it's just my stupid mouse.

3) That's really helpful actually to not launch fighters at BS. Thanks, it was the inconsistency of when they threw themselves forward that was driving me mad.
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:48 pm

Last edited by tllotpfkamvpe on Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
rimbaud
level1
level1

Postby rimbaud » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:59 pm

1) Ah that is the key thing, it doesn't show the new waypoint.

2) Ha

OK that is all gold dust. Thanks guys

Return to “Strategic Air Command”