Defcon speak

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

trickser
level5
level5

Defcon speak

Postby trickser » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:44 pm

To fill the forum with something halfway interesting, lets assemble a lits of defcon terms.
I will make a shiny start and hope for some contribution, will edit this post then. Better descriptions and more links are also welcome.

The form shall be:
Term/alternate Term - short description - link to deeper explanation (in most cases a forum article)
------------
List of common abbreviations

wb - whiteboard
cv,ca - carrier
bb,bs - battleship
atl - Atlantic
pac - Pacific
aa - Anti Aircraft Fire

NA - NorthAmerica
SA - SouthAmerica
EU - Europe
AF - Africa
RU - Russia
AS - Asia

------------
*ShinyBonsai maneuver - Cease Fire with someone and allow him to hit your cites, while he does the same, to exchange your points - discussion

*Sync launch/Nuke packs - coordinate sub or silo launches with the goal of a tighly pack of nukes near the target - article

*Bomber Run/Wave/Beam-Attack/I-Beam - launch bombers in a 90 degree angle to thier actual target, then turn them, so they will all arive at once - video

*Star of India - Strategie to play as Asia vs Russia, which guarantees a win or a tie (aka not losing) - summary

*The Feud Silo Setup - A silo cluster, six silos around a radar - discussion and picture

*Suisilos/Suicide-Silos - Placing silos at the border in enemys radar-view, with the goal of hiting 1 or more cites 1st - article

*Panzer/Panzer Formation - A tight fleet formation, to concentrate much firepower on small spot with good radar coverage

*Fleet-Line/Line Formation - A line forming fleet setup, to maximize radar coverage and best use of abilities of different units

*Ninja attacks/Ninja fleet - sending a small fleet, on a sneaky, unexpected route

*BOR - a boring strategy that requires one person, or team, to play defensively and save enough nukes to prevent the Victory timer from starting.

*COW - Someone who plays their naval game "on their heels", or in other words, very defensively. They don't go after the enemy, but wait for the enemy to finish spending their resources. It is often used in the BOR strategy.

*Fighter Chain - A chain consisting of airbases and/or carriers where fighters can stop over to reach airbases and/or carriers which are far away

*Scout/Scout Ship - An early towards enemy territory send ship to gain radar of enemys fleet/land unit placement

*Blind nuking - nuking enemy units (usually silos) without knowing the exact position

*Sixpack - a tight cluster of six silos, three in a row

*Carpet bombing - seanuking a large target area at nearly the same time with numerous nukes

*Triangulation - the art of locating silos via their AA fire while not actually seeing the silos themselves

*Cleaning a territory - further nuking even tiny cites of a territory to gather all possible points

*Breaking a launch - hiting enemy silo cluster right after it opened (probably to preform a synced launch) with a few nukes to significant reduce its nuke count

*Scout/Silo scouting - revealing enemys land units (specifically silos) with planes while saturating the AA-fire capabilities

*Split launch - Nukes of a silo cluster flying into different direction while attempting a sync launch, cause the target is on the other side of the map

*friendly void - pausing a game until the opponent left the game by his own will; kindly chat, jokes and pseudo arguments can be use in an attempt to convince the victim to agree with any made up reasoning.
Last edited by trickser on Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:36 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:55 pm

You can add another name to the bomber wave; I-Beam. This would be a good source for the DefWiki, if it ever shows up. *coughNeoThermiccough*

You forgot The Feud (six silos around a radar) formation.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:33 pm

Ace, can you write a short pictured introduction of the Star? I know thier are many forum post about it. But I really cant find one, that clearly explains what it actually is. Maybe I will do it, but i would state, it has been my idea :P
Schubdüse
level5
level5

Postby Schubdüse » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:50 pm

Over two years ago I started a similar thread:

http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon/viewtopic.php?t=4601&highlight=

Of course yours will be much more usefull, because you want to edit it and collect all the terms. :lol:
Right now I'm too lazy to read through the hole thread, but maybe it's good source for you.

For example: 3 Silos on Iceland = Icy trident?
Last edited by Schubdüse on Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:57 pm

Thanks for the link.
There is something about terms to consider however. Are they actually used? Or did someone just made them up and noone followed him?
I proposed the heimlich manouver some days ago, and i saw you using that name. Is that already enough?

Another possibility are terms, that are phrases, like "breaking a launch". Its nothing a non-defcon player can easily imagin. But its a usefull tactic.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:18 pm

My opinion would be that if nobody has ever used it, don't include it. If it's old, but out of use, include it. If it's new and used, include it.

There's BOR and extreme BOR. I also like (MOR)'s description of battleships; "blindy ships" :P

Also, I've noticed that some are not familiar with the real term BB (for battleship) and CV (for carriers).

I'll do a "current" version for The Star with pics and such...
Why?
level5
level5

Postby Why? » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:33 pm

Suicide-silos AKA Suisilos... http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon ... ht=suisilo

Panzer formation

"Line" formation

Ninja attacks - sending a small fleet, on a sneaky, unexpected route.

Forward subs - Active subs sent out in front of the fleet.

Forward airbases - an airbase or two, put forward so they can refill ships, scout a territory, and/or defend a coastline.

BOR - a boring strategy that requires one person, or team, to play defensively and save enough nukes to prevent the Victory timer from starting.

COW - Someone who plays their naval game "on their heels", or in other words, very defensively. They don't go after the enemy, but wait for the enemy to finish spending their resources. It is often used in the BOR strategy.

Someone really needs to make a thread that shows and explains all the different naval formations, and their tactics. I think that someone might be me. :)
Schubdüse
level5
level5

Postby Schubdüse » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:48 pm

*Fighter Chain - A chain consisting of airbases and/or carriers where fighters can stop over to reach airbases and/or carriers which are far away
Vorsprung durch Kraft - Triebwerke saugen - Präzisionsarbeit... Schubdüse.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:09 pm

Not sure about forward sub/airbase, never heard that. But i use sui-airbases sometimes.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:15 pm

The Star of India

Source of name: The star-like placement of silos in India.
Purpose: To effectively maximize the offensive capabilities of every unit available while also maximizing the ability to defend a few key Indian cities (at the cost of not defending the majority of Asia), resulting in near guaranteed victory.
Usage: Developed specifically to engage Russia in head to head combat (1v1), but may be adapted for use against certain other territories (e.g. Europe).

(Bombers not airborne in pic to reduce clutter)

When used properly, The Star of India is unbeatable. At best, the person playing as Russia can only hope to obtain a draw. There are several key tactics that the Star requires in order to be most effective. They are listed below.

1. Star silo formation in India.
  2. All 12 subs in the Arabian Sea close to Pakistan so they can be used to strike Moscow.
  3. All 12 carriers. Standard = 12 in Arabian Sea. Modified = Six in Arabian Sea, Six in Bay of Bengal (to defend against enemy units in South China Sea).
  4. Two airbases northwest and two airbases northeast of silos (as close as possible to silos).
  5. Five Radars in an umbrella formation to provide early warning against incoming enemy units.
  6. One battleship placed just east of Hong Kong (DEFCON 5) to prevent enemy scout ships from approaching Vietnam and scouting land based units.
  7. One battleship placed in the Pacific Ocean (DEFCON 5) to attempt to enter the Sea of Okhotsk (just above Japan) and scout enemy ground units placed near Kamchatka
  8. Waiting till moments just before DEFCON 3 to place scout ships in the Pacific Ocean, hopefully discovering enemy carriers and subsequently placing as many battleships within range of enemy carriers.

If Russia places ground units due north of India in an attempt to scout India, you will need to empty approximately four carriers (fighters only) into your four airbases to lengthen the amount of time your initial fighter screen will last. If Russia places far east (next to or near the Bering Straight), you simply need to send four fighters north to scout any ground units that may be placed above you (e.g. Radar). You should also shift six carriers to the Bay of Bengal (if you did not place any there) to assist with defending from the east (South China Sea).

DEFCON 5/4: Use this time to mark each city with the whiteboard. Five cities with an “X” and five with an “O”. This will make launching the 12 subs much easier as quickly as possible. Divide the 12 subs into two groups, assigning group A the X’s, and group B the O’s (or whatever symbol you substitute). Moscow should be included in the sub strike.

DEFCON 3:
Hopefully, you will be able to eliminate an enemy carrier or two in the Pacific. If you do, you gain a significant advantage as the enemy will need every nuke to equal your kills. Russia can not afford to lose any carriers.

DEFCON 2: Bombers from all four airbases and all 12 carriers should begin getting airborne. You may wish to divert a few (five or six) to stall any enemy fleet approaching from the Pacific. Shortly before DEFCON 1, send out an appropriate number of fighters to prevent enemy bombers from striking/scouting India.

DEFCON 1: 12 subs launch, Enemy forward Radar should be eliminated (using bombers) before the main group of bombers begin approaching targets. Subs finish launching, are set to Active mode and moved into battle. Bombers make a second run on remaining cities. All Russian cities should be left with no more than 0.1m survivors. A third run of remaining bombers should be made to clean up. Silos may kept for a final strike at approaching fleet (especially subs trying to enter the South China Sea) or any other available targets.

Throughout the game:

1. Keep active Radar in the Middle East. You do not want to be surprised with enemy bombers coming from North Africa or East Europe. When Russia places ground units near Moscow, sending one bomber in naval mode towards Sudan (northeast Africa) can provide a critical early warning.

2. Start the victory timer as early as possible. This means using subs and bombers as quickly as possible.

3. Keep something in reserve to strike/nuke The South China Sea when playing against experienced opponents. They will use this area as a launching pad to strike India, usually later in the game.

Too much?
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:40 pm

Hehe, alot of information. Maybe not the thing you wanna point a curious but clueless person to. But its definitely a complete description of the star, the one i have always been looking for. I like it.

2. Start the victory timer as early as possible. This means using subs and bombers as quickly as possible.

and silos right?
I mean, they are more important for defence, but you have to empty them somewhen to push the timer.
Why?
level5
level5

Postby Why? » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:00 pm

Ace is thorough... clinically precise... I love it.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:12 am

trickser wrote:Hehe, alot of information. Maybe not the thing you wanna point a curious but clueless person to. But its definitely a complete description of the star, the one i have always been looking for. I like it.

and silos right?
I mean, they are more important for defence, but you have to empty them somewhen to push the timer.

I particularly left out silos for two reasons.

1. You don't need them to win (bombers + subs is enough).
2. You don't want to launch them right away (usually), as this gives Russia a chance to counter fire and hit India, which defeats the purpose.

In order to push the timer, you just need to empty subs, empty airbases and carriers, and then launch silos one by one (or two by two, half, etc) keeping it difficult to hit India. Or, you can launch silos too. Silos are more flexible than the other units; it depends on who you're playing and what method they're using to counter The Star. Also, in a normal game, keeping silos full isn't gonna hold back the timer. :wink:
Pwnbroker
level2
level2

Postby Pwnbroker » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:19 pm

bb- battleship
bs- carrier

I get more and more questions about this.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:52 pm

Pwnbroker wrote:bs- carrier

I get more and more questions about this.

I've gotta ask about that one. What does the bs stand for?

Return to “Strategic Air Command”