Bombers shooting unsurfaced subs

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

rus|Mike
level5
level5

Bombers shooting unsurfaced subs

Postby rus|Mike » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:02 pm

In a Mogwai vs Mojo match a nice fenomena was noticed. A couple of Mojo bombers killed an unsurfaced Mogwai sub. No, it wasn't surfaced recently, only about a game hour ago.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:17 pm

Where's the recording for this game?

Edit: While we're talking game oddities that probably shouldn't be there. A naval unit will continue to "Target" something it can't see for a little while after contact. All you have to do is get out of radar range and the hover over your unit to see the red line and circle pointing the way to the enemy unit (it's current location, not former).
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:44 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:While we're talking game oddities that probably shouldn't be there. A naval unit will continue to "Target" something it can't see for a little while after contact. All you have to do is get out of radar range and the hover over your unit to see the red line and circle pointing the way to the enemy unit (it's current location, not former).

Not that easy, Rimmer ;) Those subs were never seen before by enemy fleet.

Linky
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:45 pm

Well, I meant that as a different and non-related "bug". I wasn't saying that was the cause of the what's shown above. :wink:
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:14 pm

Ok, so I watched the recording to see if there was something I could spot to explain it. I have seen ghost image subs being shot at by bombers before when the only "radar" was from sonar pings (subs not in true visual radar). However, this is definitely not the case. It's not near the map wrap and there's nothing in radar range that could see the subs even pinging when the bombers start firing. Strange indeed.

As you can see the subs are completely emptied and then run in active mode for several game minutes before ever taking on fire.

It may not be clear from above, but the following is what happened:

1. Mogwai subs launch all SRBMs from under Ghana, no Mojo units near to counter.
  2. Mogwai subs go active, begin moving towards NY.
  3. Mojo does not attempt to move fleet down to meet subs, only has bombers flying southwest from EU (probably for east coast USA/fleet attack.
  4. Mojo routes one bomber to nuke now empty subs (missed)
  5. Mogwai subs, still out of Mojo Radar, take on fire from 2 bombers.
  6. Mojo bombers lose targeting, while moving closer to subs.
  7. Mojo bombers regaing targeting, fire again and kill a couple subs.
  8. Mojo bombers lose targeting while almost directly on top of subs they're killing.
  9. Mojo wins.

Therefore, game should be VOID! Just kidding.
Last edited by Ace Rimmer on Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:18 pm

(MOR) also said something about nuke disapearence at the end of the game. I didn't see it though.
Why?
level5
level5

Postby Why? » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:34 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:Edit: While we're talking game oddities that probably shouldn't be there. A naval unit will continue to "Target" something it can't see for a little while after contact. All you have to do is get out of radar range and the hover over your unit to see the red line and circle pointing the way to the enemy unit (it's current location, not former).

Yes, I see that all the time when a passive sub is running from active subs, or carriers in Anti-Sub Mode. Also, when a carrier isn't in ASM, and it's running from an active sub.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:37 pm

Yes, and it makes for easy sub hunting if you just saw the white flash of depth charges but didn't see the sub (cause you were paying attention to something else). "Ohh, I go that way to find the sub my ship was tryin' to sink"... :P
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:51 pm

I've seen subs appearing out of nowhere on one or two occasions, nowhere near other units or radar. (I think - those with access to the code may dispute this observation)

I suppose it could be a bug or...maybe it's a feature :wink:

That's how I'll think of it anyway...there is a tiny wee probability your subs will be discovered by your opponent(s) quite by accident.
Why?
level5
level5

Postby Why? » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:22 pm

That 'non-visible radar' thing also happens with bombers... so maybe it's a glitch with that part of the game. But why that one sub and none of the others?

Maybe he switched that one sub to active, right before it went passive, and then switched back to passive, right before it pinged. Wouldn't that leave his sub grayed for a few minutes?

Another glitch, might have something to do with it...

If you've recently had radar coverage in the area, your bombers won't let you launch nukes directly on a ship, that you can't see any more...even if it's moved and the ship's ghost is gone. It won't let you launch. SO, you figure their bearing and make an appropriate correction. I used to think it was lag, but looked at my recordings and it works.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:31 pm

Why? wrote:Maybe he switched that one sub to active, right before it went passive, and then switched back to passive, right before it pinged. Wouldn't that leave his sub grayed for a few minutes?

There are only two legitimate ways to see a grayed out unit (ghost image).

1. That unit goes in radar and back out. Color is replaced by gray, fades out. Is lost once in full passive or active.
2. Sub vs Sub sonar.

Neither circumstance happened in this example. In order for a sub to be in Radar, it must surface. It then can be seen by radar until it switches completely out of surface mode (into active or passive). Switching from active>passive>active or something similar shouldn't let you see the sub itself with radar.

I can't recall, but a city might show a sub like it will do a Radar/BB/Carrier/Bomber/Fighter/Silo/Nuke, if you get close enough. ?
Nuke this
level1
level1

Postby Nuke this » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:32 am

Subs will remain visable (coloured, not greyed) until they are FULLY active or FULLY passive. The change-over time must be complete before they submerge.

Could the player be changing over modes frequently without allowing it to complete?
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:16 am

No.
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:14 am

Last edited by tllotpfkamvpe on Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why?
level5
level5

Postby Why? » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:22 pm

^ yeah, I imagine it could be a mix of high packet loss and low ping... Maybe one or both sides missed the piece of command that makes it invisible.

I've had it ignore my commands a lot when I'm having high packet loss, and good ping.

Return to “Strategic Air Command”