Help With Navel Operations

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

JustJoshinYou
level1
level1

Help With Navel Operations

Postby JustJoshinYou » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:01 am

Okay, so the problem is I dont have any clue how to position my fleets.
like, i implore alot of diffrent strategys. I try spreading them out, but they get taken out one by one.
I try splitting them up into 2 opposing groups, they get taken out. I try bunching them together, THEY GET FRIGGAN NUKED!
help please.
and how should i divide up the fleet, IE group of xBB, xCarrier, xSubs
iRadiated
level2
level2

Postby iRadiated » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:58 am

There are no hard and fast rules on how to place your naval units.

I think the answer lies in how good you are at micromanaging your fleet.
You say that they get taken out one by one when you spread them out. That suggests to me that you are not keeping an eye on them effectively.
If they get taken out by nukes when you bunch them up then simply don't bunch them up :)

I started out playing with the standard groups of 6 and moved to groups of 4 to allow me to cover that much more ocean.
I then moved to placing all my subs on their own
and I now use a mixture of groups of 2 and 4 ships with subs always on their own.

Some people seem to place ALL their units individually which I can't do because I can't handle that level of micromanaging.

I also let the odd battleship or carrier hang around at the edges of my radar coverage to give me advance warning of approaching ships.
That way I may lose the single carrier but the bulk of my forces have plenty of time to prepare to attack/defend as required.

You need to find what works well for you
but the key thing is to keep an eye on your fleet.
JustJoshinYou
level1
level1

Postby JustJoshinYou » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:35 pm

kay, il try to do that.
thanks homie :)
world idiot
level4
level4

Postby world idiot » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:16 pm

it is all complete preference, but there are some hints I can give:

1. As a general rule, mixed fleets vastly reduce flexibility, and as such are avoided by most players (except for Feud). NB, the effect mixed fleets creates (units compensating for each other) can be created by careful micromanagement, so learning to micro always helps.

2. Larger fleets sizes may be easier to manage, but reduce flexibility further, so again, find the balance that works for you. (I use groups of 2 and 3).

3. NEVER, EVER mix subs into other units, as if a sub is present in a fleet of other ships, it will be very obvious. However, subs have use in naval combat so combining fleets of subs with other fleets can be useful.

4. Carriers are generally too precious to be placed as the front line, as they have too many uses (bombers for naval combat and nuking, fighters for defensive screens, antisub to do what it says on the proverbial tin, unless you send decent amounts of reasonably disposable units to protect them(fighters and battleships being the most disposable), and some bombers behind this disposable front line to provide some heavy firepower. So place carriers near the front line so they can fire off air units to assist the naval units, but not as the actual frontline (they are too useul to lose).

5. As to how densely packed they ought to be, with small, single-unit-type fleets you can consistantly vary your density depending on your ability to micro, and the need to do so. Densely packed makes for easy naval nuking for your opponent, but a better attack (blitzkrieg did involve densely packed tanks moving at high speed for a reason, to carve through formations), WHereas loosely packed makes it harder to attack you.

6. The navy is one huge smokescreen to unload bucketloads of nukes (despite nukes not fitting in buckets :? ). In 6 player games, avoid naval combat unless absolutely necessary (you want to keep as many nukes as possible to attack with as early as possible). In 1v1 and 2v2, you need to conserve your resources while depleting more of your opponents resources.

7. Don't bite off more than you can chew, ie do what you can manage. With experience comes better management.

That's my 2 cents anyway (even though I'm English).
Pwnbroker
level2
level2

Postby Pwnbroker » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:56 am

'Search' is your friend. Much has been written, debated and youtubed on the subject.
world idiot
level4
level4

Postby world idiot » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:33 am

while you are at it, look at ace's really useful video tutorials.

Return to “Strategic Air Command”