How To Nuke With Silos.

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

How To Nuke With Silos.

Postby Ace Rimmer » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:02 am

Yes yes, I know this has been gone over many times, even I myself have posted on this very subject. However, I thought it'd be good to go over it once again and I couldn't find an old thread that I wanted to bump. So, enjoy. Side note; there are others that have silo launching down to a science and I'm not one of them. Launches don't have to be perfect, just refined a bit.

The ideal launch is one in which the entire group of six fires at the same target (city/unit) and those six nukes join midair and land as one single nuke. That is, six nukes so close together you can't see more than a single "bolded" nuke. This allows more hits and reduces the enemy's AA fire effectiveness as much as possible.

Pics! I would have Fraped it, but after re-installing older ATI drivers (most recent ones brought DEFCON to a mere 4 FPS!), I didn't want to attempt it. The graphics aren't quite the same as they were before, even though I think that was by far my best and most problem free re-installation from ATI.

Please don't (unless you've got some really sneaky foolproof plan) launch silos one at a time or pick targets randomly. :wink:

Edit: Oh yes, naval nuking with your Silo/s is more often than not a great big waste of nukes. In certain cases, carpet bombing or nuking a group of nearby subs (single/double nuke) is fine. Carpet bombing the ocean with silos is an extreme and usually desperate move. Silos are not quite as dynamic as mobile launchers that can redirect at the last second (bombers).
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:45 am

Nice.
Just outa curiosity what Graphics card do you have?
Edit: isn't there a risk that somehow the game will have one laser (from another silo) kill the grouped nuke's in one shot. Similar to downing fighters over radars to kill them. Or getting a bunch of subs killed overhead a battleship fight.
iRadiated
level2
level2

Postby iRadiated » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:33 pm

Yes it is for that very reason I deliberately get my nukes to go their separate ways. It's not that I'm crap. Honestly it's deliberate :)
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Re: How To Nuke With Silos.

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:16 pm

Last edited by tllotpfkamvpe on Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:13 pm

Wasgood wrote:Nice.
Just outa curiosity what Graphics card do you have?

ATI 9600xt AIW

Wasgood wrote:Edit: isn't there a risk that somehow the game will have one laser (from another silo) kill the grouped nuke's in one shot. Similar to downing fighters over radars to kill them. Or getting a bunch of subs killed overhead a battleship fight.

This is myth. Nukes will not get destroyed in groups/multiples via splash/proximity damage like other units

MVPE: That qualifies for "sneaky foolproof plan", although you didn't know it at the time. :P Making it appear there is a navy where there isn't, is completely different than trying to actually kill ships with silos.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
ynbniar
level5
level5

Re: How To Nuke With Silos.

Postby ynbniar » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:22 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:Edit: Oh yes, naval nuking with your Silo/s is more often than not a great big waste of nukes. In certain cases, carpet bombing or nuking a group of nearby subs (single/double nuke) is fine. Carpet bombing the ocean with silos is an extreme and usually desperate move. Silos are not quite as dynamic as mobile launchers that can redirect at the last second (bombers).

QFT...I know because I do it when I'm desperate...which is often.

It doesn't work, but when you do hit the odd ship it's very funny...almost makes it worth it...almost. :wink:

Return to “Strategic Air Command”