Beating Russia

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Synapse
level2
level2

Beating Russia

Postby Synapse » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:38 pm

As Europe, Russia hits me with every one of his subs at defcon1, usually owning my silos and cities behind the protection of his battleships. From here it's a simple mopping up process and I'm history.
As Asia, Russia's bombers come down from the North and usually take out my airbases and/or silos. India is an easy target, and I lose a lot due to not being able to defend everything at once.
As the USA, Russia, can navigate a fleet to the north and hit me with bombers from a pretty safe position.

So the question is how to beat a skilled player who is Russia?
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:58 pm

There are lots of ways documented here somewhere...though I am pretty bad at them...for example some players believe (in 1v1 matches) that Russia cannot beat Asia due to the "Star of India" formation (also well documented).

In 6 player, if you are EU try suisilo strategy (you place your silos close to major cities)...again I'm not the best at this but it is fun...

Lots of other strategies can be found in the forum.
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:59 pm

Erm... well... let's try.
As Europe, Russia hits me with every one of his subs at defcon1, usually owning my silos and cities behind the protection of his battleships

Why can't you do the same? :)
As Asia, Russia's bombers come down from the North and usually take out my airbases and/or silos

Don't let the enemy recon your stuff? Kill bombers with fighters?
India is an easy target, and I lose a lot due to not being able to defend everything at once.

Trying to defend "everything at once" is a _bad_ idea. Anyway, search the forums for Ace Rimmer's The Star of India strategy for Asia vs Russia. Practically Russia has next to 0 chance of winning if the players are of similar skills.
As the USA, Russia, can navigate a fleet to the north and hit me with bombers from a pretty safe position.

Why can't you send the fleet there?... From the Pacific for example? An idea of trying to do anything but minor damage from there seems pretty crazy to me. That place is easily cleansed with naval nukes in a few moments.

So the question is how to beat a skilled player who is Russia?

Probably watching game recordings of pros playing will help? Anyway, there are no better or worse territories in general, they become such when we have an exact enemy. Being Russia is a nightmare against Africa and Asia, for example.
Synapse
level2
level2

Postby Synapse » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:16 am

Why can't you do the same?

This worked like a charm, thanks. :)

Blackbeard
level4
level4

Postby Blackbeard » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:35 am

There are four rules to Defcon:

Never get angry.
Always remember it's just a game.
Defend only what can be reasonably defended (you can't be everywhere at once).
Spectate as many games as you can (you will soon realise which players you can learn from).

Follow all that ^ and you will be prwning the best of them in no time :P .
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:34 am

Synapse wrote:
Why can't you do the same?

This worked like a charm, thanks. :)

Hehe, good old Suisilos. :D
xxKeithxx
level0

Postby xxKeithxx » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:10 am

Never get angry.
Nightwatch
level5
level5

Postby Nightwatch » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:28 am

Oh, suisilos :roll:
Total crap in a 1v1.
Every experienced player will take them out before they have launched there third nuke.
Cluster all six silos in Norway and kill russias navy before def 1 is a better option if you need silo protection on the border.

Return to “Strategic Air Command”