Is playing europe a deathtrap? definitive awnser please!

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Is playing EU a deathtrap?

Yes
20%
No
41%
Mabye
39%

Total votes: 41
NZ ARMY
level2
level2

Postby NZ ARMY » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:16 pm

Nightwatch wrote:only works with a bunch of noobs...

Yeah, I was going to add a disclaimer noting the reasons why this hasn't worked on other occasions, but my posts in forums are never as long as I initially intend them to be.
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:37 pm

Well, in six player default, my first win was with Europe. With having no allies I might add.

It might have been a spoof. But I have always looked at Europe as a unspoken power house.
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:40 pm

In 6-player default, yes, Europe is often the best bet unless the others conspire to beat you... but a well-planned suisilo attack, subs for Sao Paolo (you can often pull it) and the main bulk of your fleet to pummel the USA into the grass, it's hard to beat.
Nightwatch
level5
level5

Postby Nightwatch » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:12 am

Pox wrote:In 6-player default, yes, Europe is often the best bet unless the others conspire to beat you... but a well-planned suisilo attack, subs for Sao Paolo (you can often pull it) and the main bulk of your fleet to pummel the USA into the grass, it's hard to beat.

Not it´s not. It totally depends on your oponents. If Russia decides to place the fleets in the north and the silos in the west you can forget your suislio. You´re finished.
If you face the entire fleet of NA in the altantic your chances of taking NY or WDC are next to zero if NA and SA know what they are doing.
An experienced player will always take Cairo as Asia. You can´t do anything about it. And even a medicore player of Africa will take Sao Paulo long before your subs are in striking range.
Against good players you need tremendous amounts of luck to make it work.
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:58 am

Nightwatch wrote:
Pox wrote:In 6-player default, yes, Europe is often the best bet unless the others conspire to beat you... but a well-planned suisilo attack, subs for Sao Paolo (you can often pull it) and the main bulk of your fleet to pummel the USA into the grass, it's hard to beat.

Not it´s not. It totally depends on your oponents. If Russia decides to place the fleets in the north and the silos in the west you can forget your suislio. You´re finished.
If you face the entire fleet of NA in the altantic your chances of taking NY or WDC are next to zero if NA and SA know what they are doing.
An experienced player will always take Cairo as Asia. You can´t do anything about it. And even a medicore player of Africa will take Sao Paulo long before your subs are in striking range.
Against good players you need tremendous amounts of luck to make it work.

Certainly - but against good players, there is no one territory or strategy that's bound to work - it all comes to luck, one of the main reasons I don't play much 6player default.
Disro
level1
level1

Postby Disro » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:28 am

Maybe. All depends on what the other players are doing.
Dävid
level2
level2

EUROPE

Postby Dävid » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:08 am

I suppose it depends on many things.

1. Neigbours Set-up. Depending on how you neighbours, your best then to set EUrope.
2. Default or Survivor. If thier pointing then your Silos arent that important.
3. Diplo? Depends on a strong and trustworthy front.
4. Allies/Enemies. There are very standard attacks on EUrope. If you know your enemies it helps. EUrope profits from having an ally in my opinion. A good ally in RUS or AFRICA who combines silos and fleet is very welcome and hard to break.

I think, in my humble opinion, that the major point with EUrope is being first. Preempting the attacks:
1. SUBs from RUS
2. SUBs from West AFRICA
3. SUBs from GREENLAND
4. Bombers from AFRICA
5. Bombers over GREENLAND
6. Bombers from ASIA
7. Bombers from ICELAND and NORWAY

...and then there the SILO launch. But if youve weathered the storm most people have launched on LONDON and asumed it open. I often play with 3 SILOs on ICELAND and launch them all at USA theyve switched on again before SOUTH AFRICAs SILOs are up there...and people still seem not to expect 3 SILOs there. Keeping your fleet around them is also good for RADAR and AIR-SUPPORT.

Indeed Ive won often with EUrope in DEFAULT and DIPLO because most people write it off early. Important is to keep enough arsenal alive to make some points.

Its definitely one you have to be quick on.

Maybe I just Ejoy bieng the center of attention sometimes ;-)

All the Best

Dävid
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:09 pm

Playing as Europe and turtling propelled me to the finals of the defcon beta tournament, but then again my reputation for turtling also got me killed in the final. And of course all the beta testers were newbs, I seriously doubt any of my old tactics would work any more :P

(Also, if anyone can find a link to the tournament page it would be good, I can't remember where it is)
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:43 pm

Tournament

I knew I had seen it somewhere.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:45 pm

Thanks Ace :D
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Return to “Strategic Air Command”