Bomber Trouble!

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

****CITY
level0

Bomber Trouble!

Postby ****CITY » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:43 am

So I'm new to Defcon and these boards, and though I've had a chance to cruise the forums I still haven't found an answer to a frustrating problem ("bombers" and it's variants are pretty common keywords!).

Here's the problem (its happened a few times): Im in game, attempting to send in a big wave of bombers. I get the bombers in the air, and wanting to utilize their maximum range to keep my bombers away from enemy territory, I have them flying around my own country until their "nuke-mode" countdown timer is low enough that I can click on distant targets and get them to go do their thing. But, I'll be trying to deal with other things at the time too, so I miss a bunch of the bombers and I end up dropping a bunch of nukes in my own territory!

Is their a way to get a bomber to go into nuke mode without having to babysit it to make sure it doesn't just drop it's nuke?
Feud
level5
level5

Re: Bomber Trouble!

Postby Feud » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:26 am

****CITY wrote:
Is their a way to get a bomber to go into nuke mode without having to babysit it to make sure it doesn't just drop it's nuke?

Yes and no.

If you want them armed before they turn in towards the targets then the easy solution to keep them from bombing you is to tell them to attack a more distant target. For example, if you are playing as Africa and want them to attack Europe, then tell them to attack/fly towards South America until they are all in the air. That way if you miss a few they don't hit you. It still requires a lot of micro management since you are having to manually arm them all.

The easier solution would be to place your airfields back far enough that you can send bomber waves that can arm on their own (or move the carrier far enough back). A good tactic for bombers, if you aren't aware already, is what's called the "Beam Attack".

Return to “Strategic Air Command”