Bomber Runs with Carriers - the pile driver technique?

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Free_Radical
level0

Bomber Runs with Carriers - the pile driver technique?

Postby Free_Radical » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:06 am

I assume those reading this are already familiar with the basic Defcon general principle that nuke attacks are most successful when sent in tight clusters. The tighter the cluster the better because *some* of the nukes in the cluster are likely to get thorugh silo counter-fire.

There are many posts about how to fire tightly packed groupings from silos at a single target. There are also many posts about the so-called "beam attack" technique whereby one launches bombers on a path that is 90 degrees from the intended target; when the middle bomber is perpendicular to the target, paint the target with all bombers, and the result is, more or less, a simultaneous nuke launch.

This posting seeks comment on other tactics that generate tight nuke clusters.

From time to time I have played 1v1 with a fellow who is very good at navy techniques (though I note this technique would work the same on land, with the proper airbase placement). One of the bombing techniques he has used against me with great success is what I call, for lack of a better term, the "pile driver" technique. It's simple. He would place a single group of 6 carriers on a horizontal line with a target (think Cairo), and would simply launch bombers from the back carriers first, then the forward ones, on a straight line directly at the target. The result is a tightly packed grouping of bombers that all release their nukes almost simultaneously. However, the real merit of the technique -- a significant benefit over the beam attack -- is that the bombers immediately turn 180 degrees and head straight back to the carriers. This second aspect of the technique results in the bombers not spending a lot of time over hostile territory AND flying their entire mission en force. With the bombers flying in a tightly packed formation for the entire mission, it is easier to develop an organized defense for the bombers (i.e., with other carriers set to the north and south of the "bombing group" you can fly fighters below and above the advancing bombers.) Of course, as with all tight clusters of bombers, one needs to be careful of the anti-bomber defensive nuke technique.

Please share any other nuke-cluster tactics.

Free_Radical
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:12 pm

The tighter the cluster the better

Wrong. It was discussed already. The tighter the claster, the more bombers will be nuked. In case you play 1v1 with a pro player clusters are only availiable when you are sure that there are no radars, airbases and fleet of your enemy araound. If there is, the cluster will die in seconds.
Nova Cygni
level1
level1

Postby Nova Cygni » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:17 pm

Also not all that handy if you want to send two bombers from each carrier. I'd prefer to use the beam and employ the carriers' full complement of bombers.
Free_Radical
level0

Postby Free_Radical » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:56 pm

To clarify: Not tight clusters of bombers...the goal is tight clusters of nukes. Tight clusters of bombers is a means to achieving tight clustes of nukes, but is also prone to the nuke problem identified in the replys to my initial post (and referenced in the initial post itself).

The techniqu I was describing above works well, but requires defense of the bombers making the run....when done correctly, your have 2 waves of bombers grouped if toght clustes of 5 each all release nukes simultaneously and then flipping 180 degress back to home carrier.

-- FR
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:19 pm

Free_Radical wrote:To clarify: Not tight clusters of bombers...the goal is tight clusters of nukes. Tight clusters of bombers is a means to achieving tight clustes of nukes, but is also prone to the nuke problem identified in the replys to my initial post (and referenced in the initial post itself).

The techniqu I was describing above works well, but requires defense of the bombers making the run....when done correctly, your have 2 waves of bombers grouped if toght clustes of 5 each all release nukes simultaneously and then flipping 180 degress back to home carrier.

-- FR

Yes it's a very effective and efficient means of using bombers...but there are pro's and con's for it like any other strategy.

Pro's:

- Quick, tight cluster surigical strikes.
- Faster reloading route to source Carriers.

Con's:

- Limited Carrier mobility as well as limited fighter cover/scouting options.
- Easily picked off if discovered by radar with fighters.
- Far less effective as empty bomber scouting (if you use that tactic.)

The tight cluster tactic is best used in matches with a small number of players against installations or to break through silo fire.
The beam wave however add's advantages...you can move your base carrier for scouting/air defence (of course you sacrifice the tighter bomber return), you have a much larger radar range should you decide to push those bombers forward for scouting. They're harder to be taken out by fighters and aerial nuking.

Of course its a question of choice but clustering your bombers and their nukes is much higher risk than the beam wave.

Return to “Strategic Air Command”