Is This A Good Idea Or No?

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Is It Smart To Have Two Fleets Of Just Subs?

Yes
27%
No
40%
I Had Pancakes For Dinner
33%

Total votes: 15
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:17 am

Feud wrote:
All American Mobster wrote:
do not write in leet

newbie, i know, but wat does that mean?

-$tanley

Perhaps a practical demonstration would be helpful for the matter. This is what your wrote:

All American Mobster wrote:thx guys, ill give it a try l8r on 2nite. :wink:

This is how it should have been written:

All American Mobster wrote:Thanks guys, I'll give it a try later on tonight. :wink:

Writing in "leet" (sometimes called "1337") is where you put all sorts of nonsense into a sentence, rather then just typing it out. Now, a phrase or expression here or there is one thing, but doing it all the time gets annoying to everyone else really fast.

Being uber pedantic, that is not leet. It's more related to text speak (txtspk) where letters/numbers are used in place of words where it makes sense. "leet" makes use of symbols/numbers to represent words. So "later" in txtspk would be "l8r", but in leet it'd be something like "1a73r" or an equivalent.

Text speak has its use when you're either limited in number of characters (text messages are prime example), or when you're not on a full keyboard (again, a mobile phone keypad would be a semi-legit excuse to use txtspk).

NeoThermic
All American Mobster
level4
level4

Postby All American Mobster » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:31 am

alrite, thx. ill try to keep that in mind :wink:

-$tanley
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:42 am

NeoThermic wrote:
Being uber pedantic, that is not leet. It's more related to text speak (txtspk) where letters/numbers are used in place of words where it makes sense. "leet" makes use of symbols/numbers to represent words. So "later" in txtspk would be "l8r", but in leet it'd be something like "1a73r" or an equivalent.

Text speak has its use when you're either limited in number of characters (text messages are prime example), or when you're not on a full keyboard (again, a mobile phone keypad would be a semi-legit excuse to use txtspk).

NeoThermic

Well, to continue the pedantic route, I never said that what he had written was done in leet. I pointed out what he had done as well as the manner in which it would have been more properly written, and described leet as being where there is all sorts of nonsense rather then a typed out word. That being said, the general point of my argument, when taken in the full context of the board, did imply that the two were one and the same, and you are right to point out their differences.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:58 am

xander
All American Mobster
level4
level4

Postby All American Mobster » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:06 am

which do u think i am? a newb? or a noob? cuz (<--- leet?) ill admit that i am inexperienced and will recieve all the help i can get. :wink: but i will say that i am definently not inexperienced at movie making, because i have made a countless number of movies. its been an endless highway. but i get to drive any car i want on that highway. ROADTRIP, whos with me? :D

-$tanley
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:35 pm

All American Mobster wrote:which do u think i am? a newb? or a noob? cuz (<--- leet?) ill admit that i am inexperienced and will recieve all the help i can get. :wink: but i will say that i am definently not inexperienced at movie making, because i have made a countless number of movies. its been an endless highway. but i get to drive any car i want on that highway. ROADTRIP, whos with me? :D

-$tanley

Originally, I thought that you were a newb. But, you are failing to take the advice of people who suggest that you write with proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Your inability to learn is rapidly convincing me that you are a n00b.

xander
All American Mobster
level4
level4

Postby All American Mobster » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:39 pm

But, you are failing to take the advice of people who suggest that you write with proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Your inability to learn is rapidly convincing me that you are a n00b.

okay, i said that i would take their advice, and i did take my advice, so tell, me, what am i doing wrong. and i am sooooo sorry that i am new to this, and i may not understand much of the things you are telling me. :?

-$tanley
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:23 pm

All American Mobster wrote:Okay, I said that I would take their advice, and I did take their advice[/color=red].[/color] So tell [no comma here] me, what am I doing wrong? I am sooooo sorry that I am new to this, and I may not understand many of the things you are telling me. :?

^^ that would be what your posts would look like if you were writing with proper punctuation, spelling, and grammar.

xander
All American Mobster
level4
level4

Postby All American Mobster » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:14 pm

you've got to be kidding me. That is stupid, this is the internet, it doesnt have to be perfect .:?

-$tanley
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:19 pm

All American Mobster wrote:you've got to be kidding me. That is stupid, this is the internet, it doesnt have to be perfect .:?

-$tanley

It's not perfection that they are asking of you, only an honest effort. Everyone makes mistakes, it's when there seems to be no effort (or when vast improvement can be made with only a little more effort) that people get irritated.
All American Mobster
level4
level4

Postby All American Mobster » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:25 pm

Oh, alright. Sry about that, to everyone who was involved. Its just that I am used to the myspace typing, so it may be a little difficult to change to. thank you, though. It's just that I try to be everyones friend when I arrive on the scene, and some people have just been rude to me when I showed up, because I didn't know what everyone expects. And like I said on the picture wars, thank you to everyone who has been kindly telling me whats what. :wink: :D So if I make anymore mistakes, please tell me. :D :D

-$tanley
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:27 pm

All American Mobster wrote:Oh, alright. Sry about that, to everyone who was involved. Its just that I am used to the myspace typing, so it may be a little difficult to change to. thank you, though. It's just that I try to be everyones friend when I arrive on the scene, and some people have just been rude to me when I showed up, because I didn't know what everyone expects. And like I said on the picture wars, thank you to everyone who has been kindly telling me whats what. :wink: :D So if I make anymore mistakes, please tell me. :D :D

-$tanley

Sorry if you feel like people were rude to you, this forum can be a bit... abrasive at times.
All American Mobster
level4
level4

Postby All American Mobster » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:30 pm

Yea, but you live and you learn. It's just annoying to me whenever I show up to something late, and I do something, and everyone kind of snaps at me. Halo, for example. I've had a couple bad experiences there.

-$tanley
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:25 am

Lol, i think he's quite brave to have stayed on the forums...like Feud said...it can be abrasive once they have you in their sights O_o well done for sticking it out :wink:
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:50 pm

I take back what I said. You aren't a n00b, you are a newb. You really do seem to be making an effort, and I can respect that. Will you accept my apologies for being rude?

xander

Return to “Strategic Air Command”