nuke france/wales/whales
11%

Total votes: 27
world idiot
level4
level4

Fleet nuking, good or bad?

Postby world idiot » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:30 am

i was wondering what the general consensus on fleet nuking is and how best to do it
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:40 am

Anyone, who finds fleet nuking not usefull, show ureself :P
creator
level3
level3

Postby creator » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:20 am

Do you mean useful/useless or dirty/clean tactic?
hi there (name sux)
level2
level2

Postby hi there (name sux) » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:08 pm

I don't use it much. I only use it every once in a while, or when I really need it. Unless I'm playing Peace and Love... then I only need to launch one fleet nuke the entire game and kill 3-4 carriers (plus the subs I kill from crashing fighters) :P
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:13 pm

I find it highly useful but don't need it to win. Unless I'm playing Hyperion, cause he starts it. :lol:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:33 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:I find it highly useful but don't need it to win. Unless I'm playing Hyperion, cause he starts it. :lol:

:roll: ...don't know what you're talking about... :roll:

Besides...ocean nuking is used best as a deterrent than anything else, i've only just recently started concentrating on making it ship effective :wink:
world idiot
level4
level4

Postby world idiot » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:36 pm

yes, i was wondering if someone could answer the 2nd question too pls, because I struggle with the technique
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:52 pm

Hmm how best to fleet nuke...this depends entirely on you :roll: there are many ways to attempt it:

Firstly...you know how to ocean nuke yes? with your bombers? subs? silos? :wink: once you've got that down you should be able to pick your targets.

The most effective way for ocean nuking ships to a high percentage is to set your bombers in SRBM mode in waves (or at least more than 1 bomber) randomly into the ocean outside of your radar range where you suspect the enemy may be, choose the bomber destination to be very far away...what you're looking for is enemy fire...something to attack your bomber giving you an indication of a dropzone target...once your lead bomber takes fire and you drop it's nuke you have extended radar range...some players will fly an unarmed bomber infront for extended radar range but i prefer to make every nuke count :roll: despite what the critics might say :D

The first thing with ocean nuking is picking your strategy...do you want to hit ships? prevent your opponent from thinking about moving in a certain location? trying to hit subs? distract/attract silo fire? scatter a fleet formation?
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:54 pm

Hyperion wrote:The first thing with ocean nuking is picking your strategy...do you want to hit ships? prevent your opponent from thinking about moving in a certain location? trying to hit subs? distract/attract silo fire? scatter a fleet formation?

All of the above at the same time every time. :wink:
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:58 pm

:roll:
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:59 pm

Hyperion wrote::roll:

Well, ok maybe not the attract/distract silo fire. I rarely do that with ocean nukes.
Blackbeard
level4
level4

Postby Blackbeard » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:58 pm

I love nuking other peoples ships, which is why I do it far too often than is good for my game. Conversly, when its done to my ships, I get incredibly riled, and it can throw me into a bit of a panic. Surely the sign of a good strategy? (in moderation :wink:)
Blackbeard
level4
level4

Postby Blackbeard » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:19 pm

Ah, how best to do it?
Only blind nuke as a last resort, if you know the bomber is about to be destroyed. Otherwise, zoom right in on the ship/ships, to find out which way they are travelling. With practice, you can drop one right in their path :D with very little hope for avoidance. Remember, always have the nuke primed, and never directly target the ship itself, otherwise the bomber will revert back to naval combat (this is for people who don't know all that already).
creator
level3
level3

Postby creator » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:36 pm

I quite like having the extended range and you never know when you'll get lucky with a naval bomber. Another tactic is to send out fighters in all directions ahead of your bombers to scout out ships.
Chimaera
level2
level2

Postby Chimaera » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:58 pm

My favourite ocean nuking tactic is to lure the enemy fleet out of the range of their own silos, then obliterate everything, fighters, bombers, battleships and carriers. Also when excessive bomber clustering is used, one good nuke can mess up a bomber run.

Return to “Strategic Air Command”