4%
nuke france/wales/whales
11%

Total votes: 27
Peace and Love
level2
level2

Postby Peace and Love » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:26 pm

I find it least useful in 6 player, when you'd rather be using nukes on cities and spend your time elsewhere. Since in most cases if you slow down to fleet nuke other players will start screaming before you hit anything.

In 1 vs 1, it is almost vital. If you know where your enemy is you should definitely lob a few nukes at him. The exchange is just simple too, if you send 5 nukes and you manage to hit a carrier or a sub, then you've just evened out the nuke count while also hurting that person's navy.
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:04 pm

I haven't played in many months, but got back into defcon the last few days, and I've noticed a huge change in common tactics since the early days. One of the prominent ones is naval nuking.

First time it happened to me a couple of days ago I was caught entirely off guard... but since then I've caught on and find myself using it a lot - it's almost always worth the nuke trade-off, even if I'm blindly firing.
I actually managed to beat Ace in a USA v. Europe naval engagement with it... sure, it was 6 player diplomacy, but we both pushed our entire navies into the atlantic, so it was reasonably fair.

Aaanyway.. +1 for naval nukes.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:22 pm

Pox wrote:I haven't played in many months, but got back into defcon the last few days, and I've noticed a huge change in common tactics since the early days. One of the prominent ones is naval nuking.

First time it happened to me a couple of days ago I was caught entirely off guard... but since then I've caught on and find myself using it a lot - it's almost always worth the nuke trade-off, even if I'm blindly firing.
I actually managed to beat Ace in a USA v. Europe naval engagement with it... sure, it was 6 player diplomacy, but we both pushed our entire navies into the atlantic, so it was reasonably fair.

I would say you held me at bay rather than defeating my navy. I pushed against your coast, scouted a couple of radar and you got me to move back to a defensive position. You nuked a few bb's but never advanced to my coast. :wink:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:00 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:
Pox wrote:I haven't played in many months, but got back into defcon the last few days, and I've noticed a huge change in common tactics since the early days. One of the prominent ones is naval nuking.

I would say you held me at bay rather than defeating my navy. I pushed against your coast, scouted a couple of radar and you got me to move back to a defensive position. You nuked a few bb's but never advanced to my coast. :wink:

Wellll... let's leave that open to interpretation >_>

I kinda exaggerated it I guess.. but it was ace, so I'm still happy and proud and self-centred and all that kinda stuffage.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:08 pm

heh, after lunch I'll get some screen shots, and we'll decide this once and for all. :wink:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
world idiot
level4
level4

Postby world idiot » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:44 pm

i have started to find fleet nuking really useful in 1v1 now, stall your opponents likely assault points before counterattacking :lol:
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:45 pm

Ok, just watched the dedcon recording. Interesting just from the player/spectator chat. :wink: Diplomacy game, Pox as USA myself as Europe.

He sets everything save six subs in the Atlantic, I set everything but three carriers in the Atlantic. The other three are sent above Canada for harassment. :wink:
Here is the initial advance. I was focused on scouting out his silos at the expense of the naval fight hoping I could launch my silos on his early. *shakes fist at getting kicked before everybody placed*
Here is me trying to take out/push his bb's back to let my carriers get closer. I ended up losing three to his carriers. I had him pinned up against his coast though and hoped S. America would harass his navy. He didn't.
End of the scouting, failed and lost three subs plus most of my bb's. He's ahead :cry:
I pulled back and we started the whale nuking. I missed, he did slightly better.
Here I decided that since I could see all of S. Americas units, I'd just give up on the USA and kill his southern neighbor. I convinced Pox to ceasefire to let them all go through. Result, no more silos for S.A. :wink: Thanks Pox!
Here I've picked off some of his bb's and I'm ahead in carriers. Ace = 11 carriers, 2 bb's Pox = 9 carriers, 4 bb's
He nuked a carrier, down to 10, :cry: However, now I'm ahead in bb's too. Two to one, those other three are Russia's.
He never moved from his spot once the naval fight was 'over' and it was a wise decision. However, the CPU replacement of Asia (Free_Radical) came the long way around and caught my carriers by surprise up from Africa.
In then end, perhaps I should have left S. A. with a few more nukes and maybe he could have helped with N. A. Oh well, I still had more navy than Pox. So there. I win the naval battle cause I invaded his waters, had more numbers in the end, and kept him tucked up against Florida for a long while. The Asian CPU ended up killing my carriers.

End Ace = 8 carriers, 1 bb -- Pox 7 carriers, 1 bb. :P
All American Mobster
level4
level4

Postby All American Mobster » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:53 pm

its an obvious yes, and could lead to you winning. you could be down by a couplde of points, and still have a couple of nukes left on your bombers. its helped me win DOZENS of times. just a comment.

-$tanley
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:01 am

Mmm, forgot about all those carriers you had left... never saw a massive bomber wave from them, only small ones from 3-4 carriers at a time...?

But anyway, I consider just not getting entirely smashed to pieces good against Ace Rimmer... because I don't know how it stands now, but 6 months ago I was getting entirely dominated online by ace, WEPS, RC, and probably a lot I've forgotten.
All American Mobster
level4
level4

Postby All American Mobster » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:12 am

6 months ago I was getting entirely dominated online by ace, WEPS, RC, and probably a lot I've forgotten.

dont worry, ive had those days... and still do :)

-$tanley

Return to “Strategic Air Command”