In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Tripper
level4
level4

Postby Tripper » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:55 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:
rus|Mike wrote:
rus|Mike wrote:1) You say, Africa is "better" then Russia. My experience shows that it's vice versa...

I was wrong :? My further investigation in this setup showed that if Africa does everything correctly, there are from little to no chances for Russia.

Anyone, who can win as Russia vs me as Africa? :roll:

Me.

can anyone say "Star Lite"? - so if anyone can beat it, Ace can :wink: . I will have to check out the recording and make it part of the new strategy threads :D

PS - I came to the same conclusion as rus|Mike independenly and changed the table back a while ago ....
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:55 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:I wish. It's only 11:00 am and I'm still at work.

Grrrr!!
P.S. Am I aloud to post my own raiting? :roll: just like this one, but with my own pluses and mineses?
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:59 pm

Tripper wrote: "Star Lite"?

Star bright?

Actually, so far the only 'better' territory in 1v1 I'd say for sure is Asia vs Russia. However, even then a competent player that doesn't get sloppy could beat the Star, so to say it's 'better' is only true in the sense that it's very difficult to do. Otherwise, I'd still say the rest of the parings are pretty much equal. Perhaps a more thorough discussion would bring out more star type setups?

Edit: Sure you are rus|Mike.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Tripper
level4
level4

Postby Tripper » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:59 pm

rus|Mike wrote:P.S. Am I aloud to post my own raiting? :roll: just like this one, but with my own pluses and mineses?

well you could PM me to update this chart.

Alternatively, ask Bert to put it in his Wiki so that everyone can play with it (mm, a strategy wiki, tasty!)

Cheers, Tripper
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:07 am

You don't have to ask me, just open a page. Just a few pages are locked to be only editable by admins, including the front page.
Tripper
level4
level4

Postby Tripper » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:33 pm

Ho Hum - just to let yous all know that I've amended the SA v NA rating slightly. SA now only has one (1) plus v NA. I'm even tempted to give the plus to NA, but SA does get better radar coverage and sub launches from below Mexico.

However, the key to playing NA v SA is as follows: the majority of NA's population is concentrated in the north-east, and it's usual to bunch silos there just out of SA's radar range. SA's cities are all spread out and on the coast so not so easily defended with silos. Secondly, NA has the deployment advantage in the atlantic. Often, NA doesn't even bother deploying in the Pacific as California always dies anyway. So, by deploying entirely in the atlantic, NA can protect its silos and major cities from naval attack (they're hard to access from the Pacific, particularly if defended with airbases) and, most importantly, set up a line of battle parallel to the coast of Brazil. This makes besieging the SA coast much easier, especially if SA has concentrated most of his forces in the Pacific.

For a textbook example on how NA won this asymmetric contest, check out this recording

/looks to adjunct professor rimmer to continue tactical masterclass

Cheers, Tripper
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:23 pm

Don't worry, unlike the (potential) video tutorial, I will actually put this together. I just have to:
  1. Find the time. Probably after the weekend, although my wife's due date has come and gone and we're "expecting" around the 12th based on the last two.
  2. Decide on the format as I want them all to be uniform.
Peace and Love
level2
level2

Postby Peace and Love » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:52 am

everyone knows Asia has advantage over Russia

But my personal favorite is Asia's advantage over Europe. Many people think this is untrue but I rarely if ever lose as Asia when battling Europe.

Return to “Strategic Air Command”