7%

Total votes: 59
mrobertsonesq
level1
level1

How do you make up your fleets?

Postby mrobertsonesq » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:06 pm

Just curious.

A spinoff from the conversation held in http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon/viewtopic.php?p=58408#58408

Do you like to use mixed fleets or single type (i.e. only battleship, only carrier, only subs).

I know this of course could vary according to who you play as and who you are against, but general rule of thumb. What floats your boat (groan) :lol:

note this is not "is this right" or "is this wrong", but just finding out preference.
world idiot
level4
level4

Postby world idiot » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:11 pm

mixed fleets against pros is commiting suicide for the carriers

i have battleships in front, carriers behind amd send bomer runs

i also use fleets of 3 or 2 for everything
torq
level3
level3

Postby torq » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:29 pm

I voted 'Dinosaurs' because all my fleets consit out of one ship. (With possible exception of submarines). So, in a way, I have a single mixed fleet, but at the same time I have 25 to 36 unmixed fleets.
NMO
mrobertsonesq
level1
level1

Postby mrobertsonesq » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:57 pm

torq wrote:I voted 'Dinosaurs' because all my fleets consit out of one ship. (With possible exception of submarines). So, in a way, I have a single mixed fleet, but at the same time I have 25 to 36 unmixed fleets.

Oddly enough, usually what I do. Why did I exclude this from the poll list? Dinosaurs indeed.
walrus47
level4
level4

Postby walrus47 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:05 pm

I normally go for groups of 3 for everything, I'm not great at micromanaging so I find this a good compromise.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:10 pm

walrus47 wrote:I normally go for groups of 3 for everything, I'm not great at micromanaging so I find this a good compromise.

There is an inherent flaw in groups of three, they're a perfect target for naval nukes.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
hi there (name sux)
level2
level2

Postby hi there (name sux) » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:49 pm

world idiot wrote:mixed fleets against pros is commiting suicide for the carriers

i have battleships in front, carriers behind amd send bomer runs

i also use fleets of 3 or 2 for everything

That's not true. Mixed fleets are as good as same ship fleets :)

edit: I'll give reasons.

-Putting your fleets in groups of 6 with three carriers and three battleships is almost the same as having two separate fleets of three each.
-It's easier to manage. You'll find out that you don't even need to worry about the micro when you use them.
-They act on their own. If you aren't watching your fleet, it will defend itself. If subs are shooting you in passive sonar, the carriers will change to anti sub mode.
-Constant extra radar coverage. This links back to the second reason. By putting the carriers near or in the front, you get more radar coverage. This can be managed in same ship fleets, but its easier with mixed ones. This is especially useful against players who use the battleship row setup (battleships in front with carriers right behind). You see them before they see you, and you can keep them barely in radar; they wont even see whats shooting them!.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:20 pm

world idiot wrote:mixed fleets against pros is commiting suicide for the carriers

:cry:

I use mixed fleets about 70-80% of the time. I guess I have suicidal tendencies.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:22 pm

Feud wrote:
world idiot wrote:mixed fleets against pros is committing suicide for the carriers

I use mixed fleets about 70-80% of the time. I guess I have suicidal tendencies.

You are the one exception to the rule (that we know of). Although Pater probably figured out that mixed fleets can be devastating if used properly a loooonnnnnngggg time ago. :wink:
world idiot
level4
level4

Postby world idiot » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:23 pm

feud is the exeption to the rule, but most people will target the carriers with their battleships and use somethin else, like bombers on the battleships, also fleets of 6 are by nature, inflexible, the main reason i aviod them, i am starting to use fleets of 2 now against pros because if fleet nuking

hey, about fleet nuking, surely it kills the poor little fishies :( :?:
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:26 pm

world idiot wrote:hey, about fleet nuking, surely it kills the poor little fishies :( :?:

Probably, but since the world is ending, the fish population can now recover from the effects of overfishing. :wink:
world idiot
level4
level4

Postby world idiot » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:29 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:
world idiot wrote:hey, about fleet nuking, surely it kills the poor little fishies :( :?:

Probably, but since the world is ending, the fish population can now recover from the effects of overfishing. :wink:

but then they are mutated cannibalistic freaky fish with 5 eyes and 2nd fins :cry:
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:08 am

I use glue to make up my fleets...what do you use? :P

(1/2/3/4 units per fleet...never 5/6 units or mixed fleets...for me :roll: )
Pater
level2
level2

Postby Pater » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:08 am

Ace Rimmer wrote:
Feud wrote:
world idiot wrote:mixed fleets against pros is committing suicide for the carriers

You are the one exception to the rule (that we know of). Although Pater probably figured out that mixed fleets can be devastating if used properly a loooonnnnnngggg time ago. :wink:

Im strictly against mixed fleets. It greatly taxes your flexibility, although the one upside I can think of is protecting battleships against subs. Even then, if I were the sub pilot, Id target the carriers in such a fleet, so theres kinda nothing to support mixed fleets IMO.

Smart remark though about the trend of my forum posts.

Nowadays I use groups of 4.
mrobertsonesq
level1
level1

Postby mrobertsonesq » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:16 am

Pater wrote: the one upside I can think of is protecting battleships against subs.

Or should that be "protecting carriers against battleships"? :?

Return to “Strategic Air Command”