Moderator: Defcon moderators

Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:24 pm

Feud wrote:
Ace Rimmer wrote:"I didn't get a harumph outta that guy!"

What do you mean?

Genius Mel Brooks, of Blazing Saddles and Spaceballs fame wrote:Governor William J. Le Petomane: HOLY UNDERWEAR! People murdered? Innocent women and children blown to bits? We must do something to protect our phoney-baloney jobs people. Harumph! Harumph!
All of the governor’s lackeys but one chant along with him: Harumph! Harumph!
Governor: I didn’t get a harumph out of that guy.
Another lackey: Give the governer a harumph!
Lackey: Harumph!
Governor: You watch your ass.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:27 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:
Feud wrote:

What do you mean?

Genius Mel Brooks, of Blazing Saddles and Spaceballs fame wrote:Governor William J. Le Petomane: HOLY UNDERWEAR! People murdered? Innocent women and children blown to bits? We must do something to protect our phoney-baloney jobs people. Harumph! Harumph!

I guess I'm totally missing the joke.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:31 pm

Feud wrote:
Ace Rimmer wrote:
Feud wrote:

What do you mean?

I guess I'm totally missing the joke.

:(
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
world idiot
level4
level4

Postby world idiot » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:36 pm

the strategy is genius but suicidal, if it pays off, it is lethal, but i cant help but feel that the eu population could be made 0 too easily. take the silos early with mass bombers, kill airbases quick, and if russia deploys in the arctic, then he may destroy eu carriers from behind

a gamble, but one that can work, or go disastrously wrong
Gen. Ripper
level3
level3

Postby Gen. Ripper » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:00 pm

survivor mode... 8)
Pater
level2
level2

Postby Pater » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:22 am

Losing the entire EU pop will not even be a problem, losing the fleet will be.
Ice Cream
level1
level1

Postby Ice Cream » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:30 pm

I've seen Wikkket do this months ago...

I've altered his strategy a bit.

1. I hide my silo's from the USSR because the striking range is shorter for USSR than Africa. Usually I place my silo's all around the UK and use those to launch on North American targets. I find that you'll get out more nukes this way than when placing silo's near USSR borders. Those nukes go for the North American East Coast and Chicago / Detroit.

2. I put most, if not all, of my subs in the Norwegian Sea. Those subs will fire at least 2-3 nukes before USSR fleet gets to them ( depending on whether USSR pushes his navy through ) which is enough to hit Moscow, Leningrad, Gorky...

3. I put all my fleet, but a few battleships, in the Greenland Sea to counter a USSR naval rush that could threaten my subs. Those few battleships I got left are stationed in the Atlantic near the European borders in order to counter sub launches going for my silo's that are in launch mode.

-

And actually, this so called strategy does not depend on your placement. It all depends on how fast you launch... It can be used for all continents although I find Europe to be the easiest to do it with.
0mnicide
level1
level1

Postby 0mnicide » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:46 pm

The EuroBlitz/SuiSilos/[Feud's original, cumbersome title I forget just now], or whatever you wanna call it, has turned into a Zerg Rush. Seems to have all suddenly become the weapon of choice in most any random 4-6 player pub I've wandered into lately.

I see it failing--a lot--because more often than not, folk insist on using the catastrophic naval scheme outlined in the OP. Now that the shock value's apparently already worn off, the best case scenario is a guaranteed positive score.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:21 pm

0mnicide wrote:The EuroBlitz/SuiSilos/[Feud's original, cumbersome title I forget just now], or whatever you wanna call it, has turned into a Zerg Rush. Seems to have all suddenly become the weapon of choice in most any random 4-6 player pub I've wandered into lately.

I see it failing--a lot--because more often than not, folk insist on using the catastrophic naval scheme outlined in the OP. Now that the shock value's apparently already worn off, the best case scenario is a guaranteed positive score.

Coming up with a stratagy is only half the work, the other half is learning how to fight it. I think that a large part of it's success came/comes from it being unexpected. As was said earlier, it looks like a tactic that a new player would use. Russia is caught off guard by the aggressive nature, and the Americas are caught off guard by a full naval deployment. Now that people are looking for it one can certainly expect it's effectivness to go down. Even the best battle plans lose thier edge when the enemy knows exactly what is happening.

As for the "catatrophic naval scheme", I would say it is no such thing. I would imagine that certain players who aren't that skilled with naval battle to begin with are likely to screw it up, but in the hands of a skilled player I think that the naval option, while risky, can more often then not be pulled off successfully.

P.S. The original cumbersome name didn't make it to the post in the first place. The name I originally put in the post for it's name remains in the title.
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:54 pm

Omnicide wrote:The EuroBlitz/SuiSilos/[Feud's original, cumbersome title I forget just now], or whatever you wanna call it, has turned into a Zerg Rush. Seems to have all suddenly become the weapon of choice in most any random 4-6 player pub I've wandered into lately.
Point-rushing has been the dish of the day in 4+ player games for some time now...
This strategy happens to be quite a devastatingly effective rush.

As for the navy. Trying it a few times, I find that if all bombers are in the air and out of range as soon as is possible, followed by all fighters, there's no chance for a US navy to survive. The trick is getting all the bombers into formation and armed. I find it best to mass-bomb with bombers the west US coast, and have subs go for Mexico, Sao Paulo and Kinshasa.

Just hope that Africa or SA's navy haven't moved far enough north to wipe out your surfaced subs...
That being said, I lost all my subs the second time I tried this, but they all managed to get off at least on nuke. All it takes is one hit on a major city to rack-up the points :)
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
Ice Cream
level1
level1

Postby Ice Cream » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:51 pm

That's why you shouldn't use navy in the atlantic...

Use your silo's for the launch on America, use your navy to strike USSR / Africa
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:07 pm

Ice Cream wrote:That's why you shouldn't use navy in the atlantic...

Use your silo's for the launch on America, use your navy to strike USSR / Africa

That defeats the point of the attack. By the time silo fire reaches NA then SA could already have hit it. Also, if you use navy on russia then Asia or Africa has a chance to beat you to it. Silos on Russia and Africa means that you WILL have the first strike, and while subs take twice as long to arm then silos, they can hit NA before SA due to the decreased distance.
hi there (name sux)
level2
level2

Postby hi there (name sux) » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:21 pm

Subs and silos both take two minutes to fire.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:23 pm

hi there (name sux) wrote:Subs and silos both take two minutes to fire.

Sorry, I was thinking of the bomber's time limit, but I did mean subs. My bad.
Ice Cream
level1
level1

Postby Ice Cream » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:24 pm

It does not defeat the point of the attack.

NA / SA form an alliance 99 % of the time. And Africa ( almost ) always goes for EU / SA. Only EU left to have the first hits on NA East Coast.

About Navy on USSR / Africa, if you'd have read my previous post you'd have known that one should;

- Use subs to launch on USSR as soon as you enter defcon, you WILL get the first hits. A few seconds before those nasty subs in the Gulf hit Moscow.

- Have a shitload of bombers going for Cairo. Timing is very important as we all know that Cairo is never defended and Asia / USSR always try to get there before EU.

This way you'll only have to fight off 1 navy ( USSR ) at the start instead of, worst case scenario, 3 when going for the Atlantic.

Now, about "your" tactic. It can be used with EVERY continent as soon as people find out how to actually play and use those blitzkrieg tactics. It's just a mather of hitting the major cities first. It's nothing new and refreshing, and I think it has been discussed here before... The early launch tactics.

Give it a bit more time and this tactic will be highly ineffective due to the fact everyone is going to use the early launch tactic. Then it'll be back to the offensive navy fights and keeping your silo's hidden as long as possible to unload them just in time. 8)

Return to “Strategic Air Command”