"SuiSilos"- The European Blitz Attack

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:38 pm

hi there (name sux) wrote:Ace told me about this after one of his 1 v 1s I was speccing, and he said he thought you were insane while he watched you do it :lol: I decided to give it a go after that game and I can say that it works out great. I even gave the silo setup a little name, "suisilos", for suicide silos :P

Because of the distance it doesn't really matter how close they put their silos to your coast. I've had Russia put all 6 silos right up near mine and I still punch through to Leningrad and Moscow, if not with the first volley, with the second.

I like this because I always seem to lose my silos before they launch as europe. I'd rather use them on the major cities and forget about them. This doesn't, of course, stop Asia from putting a silo or two 2mm away from Cairo.

Yeah, first I heard about this was through hi there.
We both came to the conclusion it's near incounterable, because it takes 2 minutes to launch from silos and 4 from bombers. Hence the first nukes WILL connect.
The only part I'm unsure off is simultaneous sub launches from Russia, but this attack gives you such a nice aggressive and unexpected edge that the player(s) will probably be completely overwhelmed.

Again, a great tactic Feud. Congratulations !!! ;)
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:38 pm

There seems to be a focus on the silo side of things here.

To me, the crucial area is the naval battle...if USA/SA and/or Africa put up a fight in the atlantic (for example accurate tactical nukes aimed at your naval units) will you get enough points?

:?:
Pater
level2
level2

Postby Pater » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:48 pm

Torq: I dont like too long quote replies, so Ill just write a few comments here.

You lose your bombers to African fighters or Russian AA. If you take a vector over EU, you cant get closer than those silos, and Asia has a better attack angle than you. In other words, it will be relatively a lot more costly and hard for you to hit Cairo than for Asia.

Approaching from Iceland the above stands. Its usually still worth a try, but the silo move is better.

Approach vector for Cairo from Russia with bombers is inside a really narrow window. One side is Asia (fighters, silos), other your silos along the border. The last 2 mins for silo launch are NOT NEARLY enough cover for Russian bombers to get closer to Cairo than your first silo is.

Hitting a big city just ONCE when its untouched will bring the "average points gained/nuke" for a silo to nice levels. Dont cry about 5 nukes if you killed 20mil with the first 2.

Subs from India are too far away to hit Cairo first compared to a Greek silo. Bombers over Asia might make it if Russia doesnt invade the airspace, cutting them short AND Asia has naval superiority on the NW Indian ocean.

It is quite unlikely that Russia can do everything at once: hitting you, hitting Asia, hitting NA, etc, especially before everyone else does. Africa might bomber wave you, NA might come to share the pie.. I doubt Russia will gain a total worldwide decisive advantage even if you dont defend.

Anyway, having full silos at late game usually spells LOSER in 6 player games.. who cares if you hit 60 nukes on 0.5 mil cities.
Pater
level2
level2

Postby Pater » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:50 pm

ynbniar wrote:There seems to be a focus on the silo side of things here.

To me, the crucial area is the naval battle...if USA/SA and/or Africa put up a fight in the atlantic (for example accurate tactical nukes aimed at your naval units) will you get enough points?

That is somewhat up to luck and the alliances everyone has made. Europe's fate is often to be sandwiched.

However Id like to point out again that usually only several of your plans have to work, if you aim for the biggest cities. The points and kills will be more or less distributed amongst your enemies, it really isnt a 1on1 game.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:25 pm

torq wrote:I can agree about one thing. Winning with this strategy will really piss off your opponents. :lol: And if you rename yourself such setup will indicate you are a noob and thus an easy target. People tend to get relaxed with noobs and that probably explains why this strategy was successful.

I've never renamed myself. Are you calling me a noob? :wink:

hi there (name sux) wrote:Ace told me about this after one of his 1 v 1s I was speccing, and he said he thought you were insane while he watched you do it :lol: I decided to give it a go after that game and I can say that it works out great. I even gave the silo setup a little name, "suisilos", for suicide silos :P

Everytime I've used it I've gotten strange remarks from Russia ("What are you doing?" "What is your stratagy?" etc.). :D

ynbniar wrote:There seems to be a focus on the silo side of things here.

Yes, the Atlantic is the tricky part, but tactical nukes aren't much of a problem. First, there shouldn't be any bombers near the subs if you drew them off properly. Second, it takes 240 seconds for a bomber nuke to arm, but only 120 for a sub nuke. So, by the time a tactical nuke can even be deployed (since you should be raising your subs the moment Defcon 1 hits) you will have missiles headed for New York, Washington, and two volleys at Mexico City.
torq
level3
level3

Postby torq » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:53 pm

Feud wrote:
torq wrote:I can agree about one thing. Winning with this strategy will really piss off your opponents. :lol: And if you rename yourself such setup will indicate you are a noob and thus an easy target. People tend to get relaxed with noobs and that probably explains why this strategy was successful.

I've never renamed myself. Are you calling me a noob? :wink:

:lol: I asked once how to fool your opponents into thinking you are a noob. Now you have answered my question :)
NMO
creator
level3
level3

Postby creator » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:35 pm

I'vr seen this done horribly effectively with asia by putting three silos in the middle east.

It can be partly counterred by openning some of your own silos at defcon1 and launching at those close, you should desrtoy them as quickly as possible this way (but it's never fast enough).
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:21 pm

I read this, and was a bit dubious. But my does it work!

As long as the US fleet isn't able to stand the rush attack, it's brilliant. no matter how many bombers USSR / Africa may have right over you at Defcon 1, there's more than enough time to launch at least 3 nukes per silo, and they're more than likely to hit...
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:48 am

Yep, when I saw Feud doing this my first thoughts were "Either somebody has hijacked Feuds name or he has gone crazy/gotten extremely bored!". Of course, the end results (he won hands down) proved me wrong. Actually, what Feud did is an aggressive version of Demosthenes style of play. Which, in my opinion, is why his "arena" is so dang hard to win in. :wink:

Weps once said something that stuck with me.

Weps wrote:If you play 6 player Defcon long enough, you'll eventually learn it's just a game of tic tac toe.
Yes, tic tac toe can be won, and won repeatedly against somebody who isn't paying attention or doesn't put any thought into it.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:05 am

Ace Rimmer wrote:or he has... gotten extremely bored!".

I think that's how it got started, but then I realized that it could actually work and began to experiment from there.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:07 am

Feud wrote:

I think that's how it got started, but then I realized that it could actually work and began to experiment from there.

I almost forgot. hi.there's (I think ?) name "SuiSilos" is perfect for this...
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:22 am

Ace Rimmer wrote:
Feud wrote:

I almost forgot. hi.there's (I think ?) name "SuiSilos" is perfect for this...

Motion to rename the move seconded.

Feud's SuiSilos Euro-Blitzkrieg :shock:
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:17 pm

The motion has passed, the name for the attack is now "SuiSilos".
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:19 pm

"I didn't get a harumph outta that guy!"
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:20 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:"I didn't get a harumph outta that guy!"

What do you mean?

Return to “Strategic Air Command”