"SuiSilos"- The European Blitz Attack

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

world idiot
level4
level4

Postby world idiot » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:41 pm

the major flaw in the naval stratey is if russia deploys in the arctic, as i always do if eu wont ally with me. that will allow the russians to blitzkreig ur navy from the rear, and making u settle for a 2nd or 3rd
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:52 pm

world idiot wrote:the major flaw in the naval stratey is if russia deploys in the arctic, as i always do if eu wont ally with me. that will allow the russians to blitzkreig ur navy from the rear, and making u settle for a 2nd or 3rd
Not if you place the whole of your navy as close to the USA as possible. You'd be by NY before the Russians could pass Iceland...
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
Ice Cream
level1
level1

Postby Ice Cream » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:03 pm

Hey Torig !

In my opinion I think the strategy isn't all that. Placing your silo's out of radar sight ( or at least attempt ) may get you 2 or 3 volley's of 6 nukes more. Which is quite a lot... That's why I prefer to not have any silo's near borders as you can, with a little bit of practice hit Cairo first with bombers. You're also able to hit Moscow before subs in the gulf if you launch when entering defcon 1.

And, I'm mediocre at best. It's not because I can kick your little sorry ass I'm good, it just proves how ugly you are.. :twisted: :twisted: 8) 8)
deathtoyou
level1
level1

Postby deathtoyou » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:17 pm

i just read your post and all i can say is

I would love to see you try that shit when im africa Fued

cheers
dty
Mart
level0

Postby Mart » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:05 am

comment edited
Last edited by Mart on Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:29 am

What you are missing is that it doesn't matter if Europe is nuked off the face of the Earth. The goal of the strategy is to get so many points early on that you can't be caught. The strategy is to grab as many major cities as quickly as possible, getting so far ahead in the points standings that no one can catch you. Then, the other nations nuke you into oblivion, but it doesn't matter because you are too far ahead.

xander
Pater
level2
level2

Postby Pater » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:46 am

Mart wrote:blah blah

I guess you didnt really think it through. Did you even bother to properly read the tactic and the following discussion?
world idiot
level4
level4

Postby world idiot » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:30 pm

however, if the enemy navy holds out, u r screwed and cannot grab enough early points
walrus47
level4
level4

Postby walrus47 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:01 pm

Having tried this tactic out a few times the main trouble I've had has been with the nukes for New York, Mexico City, etc. If they manage to hit even once then its more than enough points to ride it out and win. Though most of the time I find 3 navies to fight through to clear the atlantic so they don't always get enough off. My way round this has been to join an alliance with the Americas (because in the vast majority of games now they pair up) and wait for my subs to sneak through, then about defcon 2, I leave the alliance and start to try and clear the atlantic. This seems to work because as soon as I've done this they tend to storm their navies away off their coasts to try and take me out, leaving the subs free to launch away to their hearts content.

This also works well beacuse then they are both gunning for me and as soon as defcon 1 rolls round they attack me, meaning the points from EUs cities are spread even more thinly, as before I found Russia always took the majority of them.
countersmurf
level2
level2

Postby countersmurf » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:13 am

I've come up against quite a few people trying this tactic and it's very impressive though not unbeatable. Walrus47 executed it very well in one game however I still managed to pull out the win by taking 90% of Europe’s cities + east asia/west USA and half of Africa, now that my ICBM’s could fly over Europe unchallenged. You have to get a lot of points to beat this strategy but it can be done, even if it is executed perfectly. But I don’t see any way that Europe could end up in worse than 2nd place using this.

Here’s a screenie of a game that would have been good if it hadn’t dropped out before we could see the result, Europe probably would have won this one.

sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:52 pm

It bumped a great thread! Spambot FTW!!
DTNC Vicious
Site Admin

Postby DTNC Vicious » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:45 am

i deleted the spam message.
Barbarossa
level2
level2

Postby Barbarossa » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:17 pm

I came across this post yesterday, and although I realize this thread is like 3 years old, it was nonetheless an interesting read. I was very skeptical of this so-called "strategy" at first.. but after reading it through and getting bored of playing diplomacy where no one makes a move for the first four hours I decided to give it a try..

I'm a beginner player and definitely made a lot of easily avoidable mistakes.. and had I was playing with a group of skilled players there is no way this would have worked.. and had I played the same group again, I'm certain I would get slaughtered.. Probably half of it is the element of surprise, catching everyone off guard at the most opportune moment..

Unfortunately since territories are assigned randomly in diplo, I wasn't EU.. I ended up being USSR so I improvised a little..

I instigated a rumor to get SA kicked out of the green alliance before defcon 1... So while my neighbors (EU, Asia, Africa) had their work cut out for them and all thinking up of varies plans to get a piece of the SA pie.. I moved my fleet into EU's waters, and my Pacific fleet very close to Japan. And just like this post recommended, I had placed three of my silos in very close proximity to Tokyo, Seoul, Shanghai, Hong Honk, Beijing.. and my other three silos in position to quickly take down Cairo, Tehran (didn't work out), Rome.. and my fleet of subs and carriers closed in on London to take that out too..

At defcon 1 I immediately worked in a frenzy and went all out on them. With the silos placed so close, all the major cities that I aimed for (with exception to Tehran) were doomed, and those points were basically mine for the taking.. Afterward I sent in bombers to whatever smaller cities that I could easy reach to maximize the initial impact.. and work the momentum to my advantage for as much as possible.

The downside was eventually and inevitably they all turned on me and my population of course got slaughtered and I was rendered basically a spectator of the rest of the game.. but ironically I did manage to come out ahead, if only by the very narrow margin of 1 point!

So yes, this strategy works, but only if no one has reason to be expecting it to happen! One of the players asked how I scored so many points.. lol.. It wasn't me so much as the strategy of simultaneously going for the low-hanging-fruits first (getting maximum bang of the buck in terms of nuke to population kill ratio) and leaving everyone else with a bunch of nukes that can only go after the lower population cities.. It does no good to have a lot of nukes but no population left to destroy, and it does even less good to save all your nukes just to get turned-on (betrayed) by other players in the end and losing them in an attack.. Using this strategy one can at the very least insure that one captures a very sizable portion of the pie very early on, and thus no matter what happens later on in the game, one's rank will probably be high. But of course, the element of surprise only works one time!

Last edited by Barbarossa on Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:24 pm

Thumbnail image instead of fullsize?

Long ago, in the days of yore, Default Defcon was a game of skill, then came SuiSilos. Defcon degenerated into 'who can fire the fastest' and everybody used SuiSilos. The quickest draw would win every game and thus Default Defcon became extremely boring. Fortunately, the community veterans stopped playing default and SuiSilos faded away. Beware, lest they grab attention again.

Also, to make diplomacy interesting, attack your ally (no nukes) at Defcon 3. Better yet, join Premium Diplomacy where you can't defect till Defcon 1 and do this. :wink:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Barbarossa
level2
level2

Postby Barbarossa » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:42 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:Thumbnail image instead of fullsize?

Long ago, in the days of yore, Default Defcon was a game of skill, then came SuiSilos. Defcon degenerated into 'who can fire the fastest' and everybody used SuiSilos. The quickest draw would win every game and thus Default Defcon became extremely boring. Fortunately, the community veterans stopped playing default and SuiSilos faded away. Beware, lest they grab attention again.

Also, to make diplomacy interesting, attack your ally (no nukes) at Defcon 3. Better yet, join Premium Diplomacy where you can't defect till Defcon 1 and do this. :wink:

Sorry about the large screenshot, I fixed it with a thumbnail..

Yes I understand what you mean by "degenerated into 'who can fire the fastest' " and the tactic does seem "cheap".. but on the other hand there is a checks and balances system in that when its overused people will adapt and catch on and it will no longer have its competitive edge.. like a cultural trend, strategies come and go in waves and catch on, have its heyday, and receded..

In a game, anything goes.. if the whole point is to score the highest point, then whatever means-to-an-end to achieve it is valid.. (it's not exploring a cheat or glitch in the game itself or anything) No one says any strategy or tactic in Chess is "unfair" right?

Last night I played a long round of diplomacy with a few "well established" defcon players (I won't name any names, but I'm sure anyone who reads these forums have played with them before).. Long story short, one of these players I had recently played in other diplo games and he didn't back stab me then.. so I thought he was trustworthy "across the board" (in any diplo game) and so we were playing a game of survivor and he solicited a secret alliance with me (the understanding that me being SA and him being Africa he will have my back and I don't need to place any fleets in the East coast..) So I concentrated entirely on the Pacific and after defeating Asia, it was much to my surprise that they used me to do their work for them, and then simultaneously EU, USSR, and Africa attacked me all at once! EU with his waves of bombers from the north, Africa launched perfectly synced sub nukes taking out my silos (I had no fleet in the East coast, because I trusted Africa with the implicit deal I thought we made), and even USSR got into action with a few long range silos nukes thrown at me.

I know this is the nature of the game, but when I thought I had an implicit understanding that I won't be betrayed by Africa (especially since he came to be with the "deal" first) and then I suddenly find myself in a position where I am betrayed by everyone.. you can see why asymmetrical tactics like SuiSilo seem so much more appealing and advantageous even if I can only use it once against the same groups of people. It works both ways. Its not about fair or not fair, whatever works for the time being is what is used..

Return to “Strategic Air Command”