Carrier modes

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

torq
level3
level3

Carrier modes

Postby torq » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:35 am

Imagine you're playing 1v1 game and you have 12 carriers and anticipating enemy to appear every second

Do you:
- set them in bomber launch mode (launch bombers in the air then switch to the fighter launch mode)?
- set them in fighter launch mode (launch fighters to scout the surroundings and switch to bomber launch only when enemy is located)?
- set some of them in bomber launch mode and leave the rest in fighter launch mode?
- set some in anti-sub mode, some in bomber launch mode, and the rest in fighter launch mode?

Do you:
- scout surroundings with fighters or just use onboard radars when there's no enemy in sight?
- scout with bombers?

When enemy appears and you're not ready for him do you:
- launch bombers first?
- launch fighters first?
- launch bombers AND fighters simultaneously?

Why?
NMO
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:22 pm

Since I use six ship groups with three carriers a group, I normally set two to bomber, and 1 to fighter. I run fighter sweeps every few minutes, cycling the carriers while using my airfields to resupply. I also normally send two bombers straight at the enemy, just to see if I can hit/run into anything.
Bunnet
level1
level1

Postby Bunnet » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:40 pm

I would keep them all in bomber launch mode, then when my battleships see the enemy I launch all bombers in that direction, followed by all fighters if it's needed, I don't think your carriers should ever be suprised by a close attack...
torq
level3
level3

Postby torq » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:45 pm

Bunnet wrote:I would keep them all in bomber launch mode, then when my battleships see the enemy I launch all bombers in that direction, followed by all fighters if it's needed, I don't think your carriers should ever be suprised by a close attack...

mmm but that depends on enemy formation. I won't launch my bombers directly at enemy bss, my carriers are usually in a 4 ships formation and in such situations I hold 1 carrier in fighter mode and 3 in bomber mode. When I see the enemy I usually launch bombers sideways and AWAY from the enemy (at least 2 go further back and begin SRBM count down just in case I would need it later - and that's why I just hate it when they do not retaret) while fighters fly towards it or are just standing by - I wait for enemy aircraft to appear, while bombers forming a line behind my ships. After bombers are airborne their carriers automatically switch to fighter launch mode (so I can launch 3 at a time) and the remaining carrier is switched to the bomber mode.
NMO
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:04 am

If I know an enemey fleet is moving in, I try to juggle bombers in the air around my carriers, so fighters can be launched en-masse at the hint of an enemy navy, and the bombers are already there...

If I'm playing a waiting game, I usually have 3x3 carriers, so three on fighters, one on bombers. Once a carrier is empty of fighters, I launch those bombers, and use the other two 3x fleets to relay fighters.
Heres hoping no one ever tries to attack me with subs... I usually tak the gambit that people who attack with subs eiher
a) Don't know what they're doing, so I'll have no problem nuking them or even getting a carrier fleet safely in the way
or
b) Really know what they're doing, well, and so there's no point me trying to engage anyway.

Most players, by and large, don't use subs in a naval attack, unless they've managed to empty them first, by which time, most naval battles are already won or lost...
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
Peace and Love
level2
level2

Postby Peace and Love » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:44 pm

I have certain thing I like to call the suspicion level and the paranoia level. I mostly apply this method of thinking depending on how good I think my opponent is. ((Because I'd like to relax and take it easy when I'm playing demo newplayers thank you very much))

Suspicion- how likely the enemy is there
Paranoia- how many of the enemy navy do I think is there

If the Suspicion is high, I like to do what Feud does, sending fighters in regular intervals while restocking. This is extremely crucial in Pacific battles where the enemy could be almost anywhere. It's smart to keep tabs on where your little friend is going. Scrambling aircraft is often a waste of micromanagement because you still don't know how many of the enemy is there.

But when suspicion is applied to submarines, it's smart to have a half-empty carrier (2 fighters, 1 bomber) sweeping around areas you think they could be. This can devastate the enemy and completely change the course of the game. Often times I can find two to three enemy subs packed together (or more) and 15 nukes is a lot of firepower to wipe out.

Paranoia is often high in very tight naval battles such as Europe v. North America. It's almost a guarantee that most of your enemy's navy is sitting right in the Atlantic. In this case, scouting is less important and I like to scramble 30 bombers into the air, have my carriers back into fighter mode while some remain in sub detection. That way, I can continually micromanage my bombers for naval nuking and plain naval combat while having fighters available for cover and support. And in a tight place like the Atlantic, fast aggressive naval maneuvers can win you the day.

When Paranoia and Suspicion are low, it's good to have your carriers balanced out. A few in sub detection, a few in fighter mode, a few in bomber mode, while designating one or two to consistently send out fighters (just in case). Though it's less necessary. And when I say low I mean like the Pacific Ocean in a battle between SA and Africa.
Pater
level2
level2

Postby Pater » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:51 pm

Suspicion and paranoia -_-

Just like my feeling, when someone on Internet claims to be a girl.
deathtoyou
level1
level1

Postby deathtoyou » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:57 pm

what i would do is launch all my bombers off the ships get them out of the way that i think there coming send out a lone carrier or battleship and try and draw them into your bombers using your fighters as air support and scouts

or

leave them all in fighter mode then when you see them launch fighters from all your carriers except one then quickly switch them to bomber mode then fly those as your fighters will be a distraction
Peace and Love
level2
level2

Postby Peace and Love » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:19 pm

A fun technique against people who love to mass launch fighters is simply pull back. If you continue to retreat, most of the enemy fighters will simply die from fuel defecit. Then you can turn course and counterattack a navy without much fighter support, giving you the advantage of being able to use bombers with a low chance of failure.
torq
level3
level3

Postby torq » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:50 pm

Peace and Love wrote:A fun technique against people who love to mass launch fighters is simply pull back. If you continue to retreat, most of the enemy fighters will simply die from fuel defecit. Then you can turn course and counterattack a navy without much fighter support, giving you the advantage of being able to use bombers with a low chance of failure.

I just love doing that. Seeing that panic scrambling simply retreat watching as fighters die. And another thing - because of the bug when carriers move in the direction fighters are launched to, they usually advance in front of the battleships line exposing themselves against battleships of mine.
NMO
Peace & Love
level1
level1

Postby Peace & Love » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:52 pm

Did I forget to mention that I paint my bombers with imaginary pink? Isn't it nice to know that y'all are being bombed by armadas of pink war planes?

My fighters are painted purple. Gives them a stealthy appearence, yet maintaining the girly image. 8)
torq
level3
level3

Postby torq » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:03 pm

Peace & Love wrote:Did I forget to mention that I paint my bombers with imaginary pink? Isn't it nice to know that y'all are being bombed by armadas of pink war planes?

My fighters are painted purple. Gives them a stealthy appearence, yet maintaining the girly image. 8)

Last time I saw your bombers they were green, AFAIR.
NMO

Return to “Strategic Air Command”