Navy Fights - Advance towards the enemy or wait?

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:57 pm

I think I have said this before, but it bears repeating: 1v1 requires the most skill in the mechanics of the game. Managing fleets, timing launches, and predicting the countermoves of an opponent. 1v1 rewards players that are very good at the mechanical and tactical levels of the game, and doesn't really reward a strong grasp of strategy. The perfect strategy is useless if poorly executed in 1v1. Larger games require increasing skill in strategy and diplomacy. In genocide or default scoring, it generally degrades to a point grab, especially if alliances have not formed. On the other hand, diplomacy requires actual politicking to keep other players from nuking you into oblivion.

xander
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:56 pm

xander wrote:On the other hand, diplomacy requires actual politicking to keep other players from nuking you into oblivion.

I'd say the majority of my Diplo wins have been down to the others forgetting about me. I haven't gone as far as some and nuked my own cities to make sure I'm not top of the pile and public enemy number 1 but taking some early hits can result in the others thinking you're out of it.

Return to “Strategic Air Command”