Global Thermonuclear Warfare: A Guide to Losing the Least.

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Pater
level2
level2

Postby Pater » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:03 am

Ace Rimmer wrote:
Pater wrote:And it is EXTREMELY important to notice that 1on1 games are completely different than 6 player games.

Everybody says this but I only partially agree. I play almost the same way/style in both modes and have no problems winning in either. It's just at the end of my initial 1v1 attack in a 6 player game, I move on to somebody else. I might throw in a secondary attack on a second player whilst operating in a 1v1 style (in 6 player games), but I've found that most of the time you can concentrate on one person exhaust their cities pretty quickly and move on to somebody else before the points are gone.

I would say this approach is too slow.
Peace and Love
level2
level2

Postby Peace and Love » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:34 pm

Pater wrote:
Ace Rimmer wrote:
Pater wrote:And it is EXTREMELY important to notice that 1on1 games are completely different than 6 player games.

Everybody says this but I only partially agree. I play almost the same way/style in both modes and have no problems winning in either. It's just at the end of my initial 1v1 attack in a 6 player game, I move on to somebody else. I might throw in a secondary attack on a second player whilst operating in a 1v1 style (in 6 player games), but I've found that most of the time you can concentrate on one person exhaust their cities pretty quickly and move on to somebody else before the points are gone.

I would say this approach is too slow.

You'd think that but I've learned it's possible to have all bomber ready and flying toward your enemy at the very beginning. It's very very effective and if you can pull it off fast enough to cover your retreat with fighters, you can simply re-use all those bombers on another target. It can easily get you up to nearly 100m kills in a default scoring game without having to use silos nor subs. And the best is you'll still have more bomber nukes left for a few more runs from your carriers :D
kb5zht
level1
level1

Postby kb5zht » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:25 am

I always like the timeless classics though, like sun-tzu's art of war.
============================
If I WANTED to play a nice game of chess, I would have chosen that option!

YAHOO MESSENGER: KB5ZHT
M.I.R.V. Angel
level1
level1

Postby M.I.R.V. Angel » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:01 am

My tactics in 1v1 are vastly different to multiplay

For example, in multiplay, my silo's are usually based near my dense popultaion, and while that may hold true, I know i have to cover attacks from 5 different directions.

When u know it's only coming from 1 direction, you can put a lot more thought into "if i put those airfields a bit closer together, I can launch my bomber wave on 2 perpendicluar bisectors, or even staggered 45 degree lines.

I also find in 1v1 that knowing the expected angles of incoming icbm's is my primary xonsideration for silo deployment, rather than in a multiplayer game, when I'm more worried about which other players subs will be on my coastline, and how can i kill them...

Multiplayer...a game of strategy, timing and opportunity
1v1 .... game of tactics and precision timing

Also, In multiplay, my fleet often hangs near my coastline and strikes from "home seas" whereas 1v1 i tend to sledgehammer my opponents fleet. (maybe the nature of the fact u never know who is going to backstab u" (not aimed at Cobra Commander at all.....)

the biggest decider (in a points game) is this

1 v 1...its about which cities you hit and what cities you sacrifice

Multiplay ..... first to bag the big capitals wins...
Michael
level0

Postby Michael » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:12 pm

Just wanted to say that I enjoyed the guide so far. I hope you keep it up.
Grandstone
level2
level2

Postby Grandstone » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:38 am

It's an admirable project, but since the last post before yours was made in August, I doubt he or anyone else has made much progress on the guide. It's a shame; I'd be next in line after you to read it.
Chimaera
level2
level2

Postby Chimaera » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:32 pm

Hi. :oops:

This, like many other 'admirable projects' as you put it have been put off and put off, usually due to the all-consuming nature of school work (and a tiny bit to do with the equally all-consuming nature of Team Fortress 2). Also, I started wthis when I was feeling especially arrogant about my own ability, and considerng how much play time I have had recently, I am especially ill-equipped to write any such guide at the moment. If anyone wants to contribute anything at all to the pursuit of defcon tactics and strategy, please post it here (or just in this fourm, as this is what it is for).

Return to “Strategic Air Command”