Bombers don't retarget

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

torq
level3
level3

Bombers don't retarget

Postby torq » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:55 pm

Is there any way to struggle with a bug that bombers cannot be retargeted sometimes?
I mean when a bomber is in launch mode and i've changed my mind and want to pick another target for it, sometimes I just can't
I have to switch it back to naval battle mode and then back - in most cases that's fatal for the bomber because the counter starts over.
Is there any way to fight with it?
NMO
creator
level3
level3

Postby creator » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:24 pm

I've found that clicking on something else other than a bomber and then clicking on the bomber can work...its really annoying sometimes when you dont have enough time
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:58 pm

creator wrote:I've found that clicking on something else other than a bomber and then clicking on the bomber can work...its really annoying sometimes when you dont have enough time

Ah crap.
I just thought it was the designed way for bombers. That 'up till a certain point' you could change the target, but after that, the lock becomes permanent and you have to retarget.
Hence why I stay in real time quite long when I have my bombers up, as I tend to have to reset all to naval mode and then back to SRMB mode.

I did spec a game of Peace and Love where she reset the targets as she felt. It looked a lot more easy than what I'm doing, but I have no clue as to why over here it just doesn't work....

I'm using a crappy Microsoft wireless mouse though (crappy in the sense it's a generic-purpose mouse...not for gaming, just two buttons, non-ergonomic...). Maybe that's the culprit?
Peace and Love
level2
level2

Postby Peace and Love » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:24 pm

Could be <___<

I have no issue switching targets though, as you saw I target things very very very very far away, then just micro where my nukes wanna go along the way. I like this because in case a radar or an airbase pops up, I can redirect immediately and aim at that :D

Though I sometimes have the issue where they can't retarget, it's ussually only one or two bombers which isn't a big deal. Though if it's any more than that then it could be horrible >__<
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:41 pm

Peace and Love wrote:I target things very very very very far away, then just micro where my nukes wanna go along the way.

Weps?

:?
MikeTheWookiee
level4
level4

Postby MikeTheWookiee » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:41 pm

Currently I'm having it that they keep launching at the wrong place, usually when I've reassigned them new targets 3 or 4 times, for instance when chasing down fleets. I think I'm pressing the wrong mouse button or something, and telling them to GO there instead of LAUNCH there. If you know what I'm taking about then maybe you could drop me a tip or two on that.

This is only when I target open space, btw, not when I mid-air retarget some installation a la Weps

The long-winded approach definitely does work though, but suffers its own problems being long-winded and all
caranthir.pkk
level3
level3

Postby caranthir.pkk » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:54 pm

ynbniar wrote:
Peace and Love wrote:I target things very very very very far away, then just micro where my nukes wanna go along the way.

Weps?

:?

I do exactly the same when I do fleet nuking (usually my beam attacks know where to go ;))
creator
level3
level3

Postby creator » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:54 am

torig wrote:I'm using a crappy Microsoft wireless mouse though (crappy in the sense it's a generic-purpose mouse...not for gaming, just two buttons, non-ergonomic...). Maybe that's the culprit?

Nope im using a wire mouse, it happens when a bomber is close to its target, within up to 10-20 seconds of launching. ..sometimes it doesnt let you change target.
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:12 am

Peace and Love wrote:Could be <___<

I have no issue switching targets though, as you saw I target things very very very very far away, then just micro where my nukes wanna go along the way. I like this because in case a radar or an airbase pops up, I can redirect immediately and aim at that :D

Though I sometimes have the issue where they can't retarget, it's ussually only one or two bombers which isn't a big deal. Though if it's any more than that then it could be horrible >__<

Well, just imagine what I'm going through then. I have to retarget ALL except two-three bombers on most occassions. As I pretty much launch in very strange patterns sometimes or target really far away too ;)

@Creator: ok so it's not the mouse.
Then my "feeling" tells me that after a certain point, no 'free' retargetting, sorry. I'd say I have about 2x the micro job with bombers as with fighters (which might give people a shock :) ).
On the other hand, I think I can safely claim, I have great bomber micro ;)
Tucsoncoyote
level1
level1

Is Retargeting Launce Range Dependent for bombers?

Postby Tucsoncoyote » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:53 pm

I've been fiddling with the and I (Think) I've been able to retarget (Even while in SRBM Mode) to another target and it's basically because of the Missile's Launch range. (I think one of the experts can test this out for me, at least I've noted this when I've played (and Yes i have the 1.43 beta 1 patch).

What happens is this. Let's say you tell your bomber to fly to Target A (A City or Radar for example), and halfway there before the bomber can get into launch range, the target (A) is decimated by another type of Missile attack (Say an Sub Launched MRBM or an ICBM attack). I Believe as long as the bomber is out of "Launch Range" for the SRBM, you can go after another target. Just by selecting SRBM Mode and then retarget to another target that is "Outside" the launch range of the bomber, The bomber will turn to heading and fly to target launch point and then launch the SRBM (There's a launch range overlay for each bomber I know of. .

Now if let's say you have a secondary target (B) which is farther away from Target A, and it's outside the Bomber's Current SRBM launch range, you can retarget the bomber to that new target. Just by selecting the target and telling the bomber to go there. But the moment the Launch range hits City B, the target is locked and off goes the missile on its merry way to the target in question. So in a way if you have targets that are deeper in an enemy territory and it's out of launch range for the bomber at the current time, you can retarget.

Conversely though, if you say have a target that is out of launch range and you have a bomber heading for it, and it too has been destroyed by another missile attack, and you want to use that SRBM for another closer target, you too can retarget but it would be inside the Launch range. Again using SRBM launch mode, you just select the new target and since it's inside the bomber's launch range, you get an immediate launch response and you can hit the new shorter range target with ease. You don't waste a nuke, and you can get the bomber turned around and headed back to the carrier/airbase to rearm and to go take out another target of opporitunity (and if the base or carrier is out of nukes, remember you can land at another airbase/Carrier and then relaunch to do it again.. and sometimes even 3 times..(I've been able to get bombers going in as waves and i've been able to hit some pretty good real estate hard and fast and then get the bombers out of there to reload and come back for seconds and even thirds.

I think that's how a lot of these guys who are experts do it. they select targets and launch everything at them, and once they are destroyed, as long as the bomber hasn't reached "Launch point" they can go and re-target to their hearts content.. taking out targets closer or farther then the bomber is currently from the tentative launch point. (After all it's just a matter of where your bomber or bombers is/are in your flight plan to the target and if it has reached the SRBM Launch point or not.

I mean i would like to see some of the experts/teachers try this experiment and get back to me on this. I feel this isn't an exploit or a bug, but a way to reselect targets so that you can maximize your scores.

Just my thoughts on this one.

Tucsoncoyote--
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:59 pm

MikeTheWookiee wrote:Currently I'm having it that they keep launching at the wrong place, usually when I've reassigned them new targets 3 or 4 times, for instance when chasing down fleets. I think I'm pressing the wrong mouse button or something, and telling them to GO there instead of LAUNCH there. If you know what I'm taking about then maybe you could drop me a tip or two on that.

This is only when I target open space, btw, not when I mid-air retarget some installation a la Weps

The long-winded approach definitely does work though, but suffers its own problems being long-winded and all

The left button tells it where to drop the nuke, the right button tells it where to fly to. So, if you put a bomber on SRMB mode (no target), and just use the right button, you can fly around in SRMB mode until you run out of fuel/and or left click somewhere. That's the way to use bombers to nuke fleets, although launching at a far away target to get the bomber into SRMB mode as soon as it can works just as well (with retargeting).
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:07 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote: So, if you put a bomber on SRMB mode (no target), and just use the right button, you can fly around in SRMB mode until you run out of fuel/and or left click somewhere

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Ohh, thank you Ace!!!
Chimaera
level2
level2

Postby Chimaera » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:32 pm

Thanks Ace. This has been an embarrassing problem for me. (I once accidently nuked my own air base :oops: )
MikeTheWookiee
level4
level4

Postby MikeTheWookiee » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:39 pm

Cheers Ace, will be trying this one out later tonight. :D
palehorse864
level2
level2

Postby palehorse864 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:00 am

What a guy!

Return to “Strategic Air Command”