How to get Land based bombers to the cariers, and vice versa

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Tucsoncoyote
level1
level1

How to get Land based bombers to the cariers, and vice versa

Postby Tucsoncoyote » Fri May 25, 2007 10:17 pm

Tucsoncoyote here with a rather pertinent question dealing with fighters and bombers and how to get these units out to the carriers especially if they are land based.

Let me set up a scenario. It's Defcon 3 or even Defcon 2 approaching Defcon 1, and you have cleared the seas of most of all enemy opposition, (Except for maybe the subs which are still a threat, unless your carriers are in anti-sub mode), and you have just launched your carrier based bomber/Fighter units towards their targets or to do recon.) But you want to bring say land based units from your airbases out to land on your carriers to refuel and rearm with Nukes to launch towards your enemies' cities.

The question is this.. How on earth (once you've cleard the carrier's decks of all units, can you get those Land based bombers/Fighter to get onto the carriers so that the fighters/bombers can land and then rearm and launch from the carriers.)
Conversely, if a bomber/fighter's carrier is out of commission how do you get them to land at an airbase, provided that the airbase is free and clear of bombers/fighters..(So in this way you can go from land to Sea based, and back again (After all if there is space at an airbase to land, then you should be able to land, rearm /refuel and head out once again on a second (or even third strike).

This has been perhaps one of the biggest puzzles I've been having with learning the game (learning to 'micromanage' subs/fleets are one thing, but to get those planes out to the flat-tops or back to an airbase if there's space, are really hard to do.

so any thoughts or suggestions or comments on how to do this?

Tucsoncoyote--
snwcrsh
level2
level2

Postby snwcrsh » Fri May 25, 2007 10:23 pm

I maybe missing something here, but with any bomber/fighter selected you can left-click on an airfield or carrier to make that plane land there...
Radiant Caligula
level5
level5

Postby Radiant Caligula » Fri May 25, 2007 10:44 pm

I don't understand your struggle. As snwcrsh is saying, ust left click on a carrier or airfield and the plane goes there...
-First you wanna kill me. Now you wanna kiss me?? BLOW!
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Fri May 25, 2007 10:54 pm

You don't even have to click on the carrier/airfield. Just click close to it. So long as the flight point is closer to a carrier than an airfield the plane will land on your carrier. If that carrier fills, they will then land on the carrier next to it (if there is one). So long as you don't try to click on them while the SRBM is armed or arming, you really can't miss.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Fri May 25, 2007 10:59 pm

Left-clicking on an airfield or carrier will select that unit and not send the bomber there. Instead, you can do two things: left click close to the desired target carrier/airfield and the fighter/bomber will first fly close to it, then hopefully decide there is nothing further to do, and land. If there is an enemy target nearby, fighters tend to go on suicide pursuit missions in this situation.
The slightly more advanced and secure way to do it is this: If the unit you want to transfer is a bomber, make sure it is in naval combat mode (forget that once and you'll never forget it again). Then:
1. Click and hold your left mouse button close to the desired target
2. while holding, drag the mouse over the desired target
3. release the left mouse button.
Your plane will now directly land on the selected target, even if it is moving away. This trick also almost works when you launch a fresh plane from an airfield/carrier. You'll know what I mean with 'almost' when you transfer a bomber :)
Tucsoncoyote
level1
level1

Postby Tucsoncoyote » Sat May 26, 2007 1:13 am

bert_the_turtle wrote:Left-clicking on an airfield or carrier will select that unit and not send the bomber there. Instead, you can do two things: left click close to the desired target carrier/airfield and the fighter/bomber will first fly close to it, then hopefully decide there is nothing further to do, and land. If there is an enemy target nearby, fighters tend to go on suicide pursuit missions in this situation.
The slightly more advanced and secure way to do it is this: If the unit you want to transfer is a bomber, make sure it is in naval combat mode (forget that once and you'll never forget it again). Then:
1. Click and hold your left mouse button close to the desired target
2. while holding, drag the mouse over the desired target
3. release the left mouse button.
Your plane will now directly land on the selected target, even if it is moving away. This trick also almost works when you launch a fresh plane from an airfield/carrier. You'll know what I mean with 'almost' when you transfer a bomber :)

Okay so then let me get this straight (and let's say I want to do this right for a Land Based bomber to land on a carrier...
1. the Bomber must be in "Naval Combat" Mode and not "SRBM Launch" Mode
2. I have to put the destination point (Of the Bomber) near a Carrier that is devoid (or empty ) of bombers and /or fighters
3. The Bomber will track to the carrier and then land (of course what if I put the destination on the Carrier will that work as well?)

I take it the same thing goes for Fighters...

Now as for Bombers/Fighters on Carriers: I would do the same except the destination point would be close to an Airfield that is clear of Fighters/Bombers same way you suggest, bert.

Looks like tonight I'm going to be toying with this in a 1 on 1 mode (Me vs CPU), then once I learn the lessons a few times then I should be able to apply them to Player vs Player Tactics...

Tucsoncoyote--
Radiant Caligula
level5
level5

Postby Radiant Caligula » Sat May 26, 2007 1:52 am

You can land any bomber. but remember if if you have it on nuke mode, right click either straight at the post or close by so you dont accidentaly nuke ur own sheit.
-First you wanna kill me. Now you wanna kiss me?? BLOW!
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Sat May 26, 2007 8:58 am

Radiant Caligula wrote:You can land any bomber. but remember if if you have it on nuke mode, right click either straight at the post or close by so you dont accidentaly nuke ur own sheit.

If i had a penny for every time ive done that :cry:
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sat May 26, 2007 9:01 am

I'd have...a penny. Usually I just click nearby ;)
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.

Return to “Strategic Air Command”