Ciro

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

DreamShadow
level1
level1

Ciro

Postby DreamShadow » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:27 am

I just wanted to know if anyone has any sugestions about defending Ciro? I've heard of three. (1) "It's undefendable so you should abandon it. (2) Place most of your silos near it to help stay off the onslaught. (3) Nuke Ciro yourself and take the points away from you opponents. So far I have had mixed results trying these strats. Anyone got a better plan :?:
Cheesecake?
level2
level2

Postby Cheesecake? » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:06 am

Nuking it yourself gives you collateral..not a good idea imo.
Mart3ctX
level0

Postby Mart3ctX » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:05 am

Unless it's a 1 on 1 => better to get -40 than getting -20 AND giving your enemy +40!

This only applies to default scoring mode, if on survival or genocide it's always bad (survival is obvious & on genocide 1 on 1 it's just a waste of your nukes!)
adam_the_scouser
level1
level1

Postby adam_the_scouser » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:13 am

don't go Africa is the best way to defend it :) . I am still to find out how to defend it. I lost a 2v2 game yesterday cos I didn't defend it properly. Stupid random territories!!!!
Cheesecake?
level2
level2

Postby Cheesecake? » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:18 am

Depends on who your enemy is...

A silo near cairo can intercept many of the nukes rolling down into lower africa siince they often go right above, and while it will most definatly not stop cairo from being hit, it will make the enemy put effort into it.

Think about the time and strategic advantage your giving yourself by making the enemy actually put in the effort to get a wave of bombers to hit cairo (so one gets through) and possibly having to do this multiple times, instead of just sending a single nuke and gaining easy points.

Those nukes could easily be hitting something in middle africa if you don't have shit in cairo.

Furthermore, a silo placed slightly southwest of Cairo gives you a huge advantage against any nukes coming from Europe, Russia, and many nukes coming from South Asia. In many cases, its more effectictive against said nukes then any single silo to the south. Will it get destroyed? Probably. Will it be worth it? This has always been yes in my case.

Furthermore, the Silo's combat radius goes into Europe, South Asia, and parts of Russia. This helps establish air superiority in the region.

I would not recommend putting many silos in Northern Africa. All I'm saying is spare one Silo that is slightly SouthWest of Cairo. For me, it has always paid off. Putting more weakens you to sub/bomber attacks on mid/south africa, and will overall weaken you. However, for the reasons mentioned above, one *is* a good investment.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:34 pm

I agree with cheesecake.

Cairo will very likely be hit during the game, but: a) near cairo is a damn good place for silos anyway, b) your enemies will have to spend a lot of nukes there.

I usually place two, sometimes three, silos near cairo in a way they are out of radar range from europe and asia but also giving cover to Adis araba.

I also recomend putting two radars near cairo, since that is the entry point for a lot of nukes, the coverage they provide can be essential.
PsychicKid
level2
level2

Postby PsychicKid » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:20 pm

Yes but there is no such town called Ciro.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:33 pm

PsychicKid wrote:Yes but there is no such town called Ciro.

Indeed. It was not until Cheesecake's 2nd post that I realised the guy was talking about Cairo.
PsychicKid
level2
level2

Postby PsychicKid » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:40 pm

That's one thing I don't get. How can people typo the name when it's 5 letters and the name spans from one end of Egypt to the next?
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:02 pm

Cheesecake? wrote:Depends on who your enemy is...

A silo near Cairo can intercept many of the nukes rolling down into lower Africa since they often go right above, and while it will most defiantly not stop Cairo from being hit, it will make the enemy put effort into it.

It definitely depends on your enemy. If I'm Europe/USSR/Asia, the first thing I look for is a silo near Cairo. If its there, I kill it first along with any radar that's there and thus remove that advantage. In the process, a few nukes mixed in for Cairo will get the job done and get those easy points.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
DreamShadow
level1
level1

Postby DreamShadow » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:54 pm

PsychicKid wrote:That's one thing I don't get. How can people typo the name when it's 5 letters and the name spans from one end of Egypt to the next?

Me is not the brightest star in the sky :cry: Seriously though thanks for the tips guys gonna try out some of them now.
-With Deapest love and respect, D
DueAccident
level3
level3

Postby DueAccident » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:34 pm

I always leave Cairo for dead. It is gonna die anyway, no matter what you do, so just better to defend the rest of you continent better. Africa is my favourite continent, and I have a pretty nice strategy for it, though if I told you, it'd ruin the fun. =)
Cheesecake?
level2
level2

Postby Cheesecake? » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:14 am

Today I had a very fun game as Africa.
I came in third with 105 points, second was South Asia with 109 points, first was North America with 115 points. Note we were from 3 different alliances.

Anyways, I put a silo close to cairo, but out of radar range. I don't know how it did against nukes (wasn't wathing) but a lot of South Asia's bombers went through Saudi Arabia to hit me, and the Silo was able to shoot a lot of them down.

You have to remember this game is about airpower as well as just shooting down nukes. I think that it makes the silo a lot more attractive.

I'm overall not a very good Africa player, so I'm sure your strategy is great Due, but without knowing the rest of it...if I left Cairo undefended I'm just giving away points. My Africa problems stem from having problems coordinating fleets and airbases, not from defensive issues.
The_Mitch
level0

Postby The_Mitch » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:04 am

DueAccident wrote:I always leave Cairo for dead. It is gonna die anyway, no matter what you do, so just better to defend the rest of you continent better. Africa is my favourite continent, and I have a pretty nice strategy for it, though if I told you, it'd ruin the fun. =)

Yeah this is the way to go. Cairo is the only city people seem to see in Africa. Put 3 silos around Kinsasha and then the rest down a bit inland from your east coast.
DueAccident
level3
level3

Postby DueAccident » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:35 pm

I'm overall not a very good Africa player, so I'm sure your strategy is great Due, but without knowing the rest of it...if I left Cairo undefended I'm just giving away points. My Africa problems stem from having problems coordinating fleets and airbases, not from defensive issues.

The thing is, Cairo gets leveled what ever you do...so why waste resources?

Return to “Strategic Air Command”