How to defend Africa.

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

McNamara
level0

How to defend Africa.

Postby McNamara » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:27 pm

hello,I am new but I already played several game with Africa.It was very difficult most of the time.

The main problem is to defend against the europe and south america.I have already given up cairo because it's absolutely impossible to protect.

One of my big problem is the radars,at the beginning I placed very close to europe,but I quickly learn that it was the best way to loose.Europe destroys the radars and send it's bombers across the sahara.SO I place them in the middle of the Sahara now.Unfotunately it doesn't really work,the only solution seems to place them close to the silo but in that case they are almost useless.The problem is even worse when South America is hostile since my west african radar is defenceless too,the nearest silo can't intercept in time the missiles.

The other major problem is the fleet,when I am allied with Europe.Alliance with europe almost guarentee that the game will be a 2vs2vs2(most of the time,it's like this).It's an absolutely awful position because the two ocean are really narrow so I don't have the time to react to attacks from 2 direction and I have to split the fleet in two,if I don't any bomber can strike most of my cities in central and south Africa.

So,how do you defend Africa?Any intresting strategies?Who's the best ally?etc
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:22 pm

Unless you are playing survivor mode, don't. That's right... don't defend Africa. From Africa, you have a clear shot at major cities in Europe, the USSR, China, and South America. If you hit them early and hard, you can get enough points that no one can take you down (again, in either default mode or genocide mode).

xander
Pericle
level0

Postby Pericle » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:45 pm

Well, I too think defending Cairo is pointless.

But you can lose it with no problems and still win...

You should place your silos and radars in the middle of Afrika, and spare one radar in NW it might get killed but with some luck it will help a lot. Always place at least one radar behind your silos so even if 3-4 radars get killed you will still have one left to cover what's left.

As for the fleet, well, choose a side, since you are Afrika it would be nice to place it in the Indian ocean and own that ocean (allie with asia or beat any asia fleet). From there you can send lots of bombers and sub's nukes to EU and Russia and China... so if you control that ocean you are in for some real damage! With the help of your 4 airbses and fleet, around 40 bombers are a killer! Then always send 3-6 subs in 2 different grups to E Latin America and even E USA coast. 3 subs could also go near Japan! But remeber to keep at least 3 near the coast in the Indian Ocean, you can nuke Moscow from there.

As for your silos, well try to keep them on defend all the time and do most of the damage with bombers and subs. Sometimes I win without using my silos at all, try not to lose any bomber or carrier or any other place which has nukes. Try to use your bombers at maximum until you have no more nukes!

And here is the trick if someone is leading and you did not use any of your silos, you can be on the last place, you can still win. Ussualy that guy had few casualties and that makes him a very good target for a 60 nukes attack from your silos, this works best when you attack an alliace (EU+Russia) because London + Moscow + Leningrad + Kiev+ etc. is alot of people and will bring you on the first place ASAP. The key is to lunch all your nukes and hit those targets first, but rember to hit other cities too so his defending silos get confused. If you have some bombers use that too.

Many say its hard to hit EU+Russia, but if you are the first one and make a combined attack or just attack with all your 6 silos you will 100% make it and be on top. Only Moscow alone once hit can bring you at least 20-100 points or more, depends on the population and how many times you hit.

What is very interestng is that if you get hit a few times on your main cities, people will start to avoind you, their bombers will go in different places, that gives you time and advantage. And when the guy on the 1st place with all his cities intact thinks he wins, lunch all the silos and see how the game turns all around and you get on top.

I won many times with Afrika, IMO its a very good place! Well all continents are good, it's how you play that makes the difference!
generaldillon
level1
level1

Postby generaldillon » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:11 am

i build a spine down africa it seems to work well
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:26 am

generaldillon wrote:i build a spine down africa it seems to work well

Until you play someone who knows what they are doing. :wink:

You should place at least one or two radars so you have coverage over Europe and the Sahara. Yes, they will be taken out early, but they will allow you to see most of what you need to in order to hit Europe, Russia, and NA. Use your fleets as an extra buffer on your east and west coast. When you launch your silos they (along with your ground fields) will be needed to provide a fighter screen to protect from Asian and SA counter attack. If you keep them in close enough your silos and airfields on the mainland can help with cover, thus ensuring their survival for as long as possible. Once your silos are off, get them out of there as soon as possible, and try to harass SA and Asia.

Your biggest strength is that you can see them with out them being able to see you. The only way they can avoid it is to pull their silos and airfields back, which only works even more towards your advantage.

Like it was said before, as Africa your best bet is to strike early and hard against what you can see. Punch your way into London, Moscow, Sao Palo, and New York with silos and subs, then harass Europe's southern border and India with bombers and you'll do fine.
Trident
level2
level2

Postby Trident » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:45 pm

that picture is WAY too large generaldillon.
generaldillon
level1
level1

Postby generaldillon » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:28 pm

Trident wrote:that picture is WAY too large generaldillon.

I FIXED IT
The_Mitch
level0

Postby The_Mitch » Wed May 16, 2007 6:40 am

Defend the middle. No one seems to realize the territory has other cities besides Cairo. Like others have pointed out, you're poised to strike at the underbelly of most other territories. Strike an alliance with China and beat the hell out of the USSR from the Indian Ocean using Carriers. Put Battleships outside of Kinsasha to take out any bombers SA or EU may send. Get some subs near the Antarctic to nail the larger South American cities later. The real trick is just neutering the USSR. Once that's done you're free to move onto Europe.
Radiant Caligula
level5
level5

Postby Radiant Caligula » Wed May 16, 2007 12:49 pm

be overly aggressive. That's the best way to defend africa IMO. Just go nuts, esp when you have credits.
Like I did here. I didn't lose a single silo as I launched everything at def 1. I might add that my opponents were pantsy n00bs that didn't know what the word counter strike meant. I hit EU/Russ so hard that they were stunned into apathy, I guess. : :D
-First you wanna kill me. Now you wanna kiss me?? BLOW!
kentuckyfried
level2
level2

Postby kentuckyfried » Thu May 17, 2007 11:44 pm

Africa is the my favourite, though it's true that it seems to be the odd one out in any alliance.

Being Africa means being on-point!
Smiling Buddha
level3
level3

Postby Smiling Buddha » Fri May 18, 2007 12:19 am

kentuckyfried wrote:It's true that it seems to be the odd one out in any alliance.

Africa-Asia is very strong, since they don't have to worry about the Indian; whilst Africa-Europe can team up in the Atlantic, as can Africa-SA.

Every superpower is balanced.
T-Bag
level1
level1

Postby T-Bag » Fri May 18, 2007 12:24 am

Hi McNamara,

I’m going to explain my tactic for a Europe vs. Africa game. It’s a lot of text but I think it is worth reading it. And because 1 image says more then 1000 words, watch this screenshot (in this screenshot it is Russia vs. Africa but the idea is the same).

Image[/img]

First of all you need to win the navy battle. To do this, place a radar on the west coast just above your fleet, marked as “important radar”. Place all your boats in the narrow see between Africa and South America. Put every carrier in bomber mode, except for a few (I suggest 2 or 3) in case your enemy sends lots of bombers your way so you can destroy them with your fighters. Also place a few airbases to this coast and place them in bomber mode too. Now wait until he comes with his fleet towards you. Most of the players are inpatient and they will soon enough. From the moment as this “important radar” sees enough of his fleet, send lots of bombers from your carriers and airbases in a horizontal line over your fleet. His fleet can’t see your fleet and the bombers start attacking his. By the time he sends fighters to kill your bombers, half of his fleet, if not whole of his fleet, will be destroyed. Don’t push your bombers too far to the north or his silos will start shooting at your bombers. Most players try to pass there subs through the small see by the coastline, so place 2 carriers in anti-sub mode at the beginning of defcon 3 (see screenshot). It works great!

For the rest of my advice, place 2 radars in the north of Africa such that they discover 90% of Europe. They will be destroyed soon but it’s not a bad thing because most players will place their silos in your radar range and that’s exactly what you want. If he’s a smart one, he will place his silos in the north, i.e. Norway, Sweden… But then you know that!

For your silo placement, please don’t defend Cairo. I drew a line on the screenshot. Place your silos below the line. There are enough cities below the line, just defend them. By doing this not a single fighter can discover your silos! Place some radars above the silos and you’re done.

Now if you don’t see his silos, go with enough carriers to Sweden and make sure there are enough fighters on it. Use them as a scout to discover his silos. Then place your subs in position, cover them with your fleet and destroy all his silos! Launch your silos at Europe and you can hit every city (make sure you have some carriers in bomber mode around your silos in case he starts launching nukes from his subs).

Game over.

For a South America vs. Africa game it’s about the same tactic. Place a radar near your fleet and be defensive, just wait until he comes. Also place a carrier in anti-sub mode just below the south of Africa and just above the south pole.

And for example in a 6 player game, like they already said in this forum. It’s not really important which territory you have. Get your subs in position before defon 1. Cover them with whole your fleet! (It’s not a big deal if you lose your fleet, your cities will die anyway. Just make sure all your nukes from your subs will reach your opponent’s cities.) And as soon as defcon 1 starts, start launching everything you’ve got on the big cities.

Regards, T-Bag

Return to “Strategic Air Command”