Avoiding air defense?

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

schallmau3r
level0

Avoiding air defense?

Postby schallmau3r » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:34 pm

hi guys,

first of, im just playing the demo ATM since STEAM doesnt offer PayPal and i dont have access to a credit card.

Im playing against AI only atm. No matter what country i pick, usually 90% of my nukes are beeing shot down by enemy air defense. How can i avoid that? Even when i place my fleet close enough to aim my fighters/bombers against enemy airdefense they all get shot down. Sometimes im lucky and 2 nukes make their way through the air defense but usually at that point the victory timer is almost at zero.

Should i just fire on the enemy cities instead of trying to bring down the AI air defense?

On the other hand all enemy missiles seem to hit my bases, no matter how many air defense i've build.
schallmau3r
level0

Postby schallmau3r » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:02 pm

thanks for the answers, ill try again when i get home.

one last thing tho, when my subs are close to the enemys territory i launch 1 nuke...wait 2 secs launche one more from another sub and so on, in hope that the air defense is busy shooting down my first nuke so the other 3 will hit. But even when i launch all nukes at once the AI air defense shoots them down...all of them.

i tried to send in fighters to keep the air defense busy so at least one nuke will hit...it didnt help.

So should i focus on the air defense at the start or just try nuke the cities?

PS: every time i said: Good old times when games had shitty GFX but were fun to play (C64 anyone?) everybody said: thats just memories.
Defcon (far from having shitty GFX) is simple but plain rocks. @Steam:accept PayPal damn it!
TheHappyFriar
level2
level2

Postby TheHappyFriar » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:19 pm

aa guns have target priorities: nukes, bumbers then fighters.

to keep the aa guns from shooting down all your nukes fire several differnt subs/siloes at the same time. The aa can handle stagers attacks but many comming in at the same time gets tough.

Also, you could also just launch some nukes at a silo when the other guys launches. Odds are he's taking out a city. You could take out his silo & then his aa when the silo is used up. :)
Spartiate
level0

Postby Spartiate » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:20 pm

When enemy silos are launching missiles they can't shoot down incoming enemy nukes. So when the AI player goes for it and launches, your subs are free to strike.
My second game, against one AI USA, I did somehting like this, playing as Russia. I had six subs each side of the USA, and the AI got all nervous and went all out, launching a full scale attack from his silos. This meant I could see them, so whacked them all with my subs, leaving me free to strike from my Silos without the fear of the nukes being intercepted.

EDIT: I paid through Steam with a Debit Card. Mine's a Visa electron so I just set it to Visa and it worked :)
Skinman
level0

Postby Skinman » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:49 pm

http://store.introversion.co.uk/

They take paypal.. :)

Enjoy
schallmau3r
level0

Postby schallmau3r » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:14 pm

Skinman = all time Hero.

Ordered...beware...schallmau3r entering the game ^^
[edit] if i dont buy the game via steam, will it still show up in "my games" in the steam panel?

Back on topic: thanks ill try that...i have been reading a lot...i never thought of placing fleets with just 1 ship...D'oh.

Still im unsure about the overall tactic.

A) destroy the defenses with subs and then send all silos

B) screw defenses and launch silos

C) Defcon 1 = Launch all missiles (Silos + subs) at once and enjoy the bodycount.
mibias
level5
level5

Postby mibias » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:27 pm

there is a lot strategies, so you cant tell wich one is right... And for the question... tjeck the big, sticky FAQ in top of the general defcon forum...
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:35 pm

schallmau3r wrote:if i dont buy the game via steam, will it still show up in "my games" in the steam panel?
No. But I think you can download the STEAM demo of Defcon, and apply your purchased key to it... Not sure.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
unknown
level1
level1

Postby unknown » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:00 pm

My strategy(at least against the AI) involves waiting for the computer to launch his nukes, then targeting ONLY silos with my subs.

That way, after I take down his incoming nukes with my still active defenses (or at least, most of his nukes), I can annihilate his cities. Priority targets, man.
mibias
level5
level5

Postby mibias » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:06 pm

xyzyxx wrote:
schallmau3r wrote:if i dont buy the game via steam, will it still show up in "my games" in the steam panel?
No. But I think you can download the STEAM demo of Defcon, and apply your purchased key to it... Not sure.

after what i have read, no.
wwarnick
level5
level5

radar dishes

Postby wwarnick » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:53 pm

Take down their radar dishes first, so they can't see your rockets until it's too late to shoot them down. Radar dishes only take one hit to destroy.

Return to “Strategic Air Command”