12%

Total votes: 25
Daemondim
level1
level1

Let's Talk About Subs

Postby Daemondim » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:45 pm

It's that time again kids.

Everybody's talking about subs. Nukers, stealth attackers, they're a valued asset, and one of the harderst to defend against and one of the hardest to use wisely. In this session, we'll talk about the capabilities and vulnerabilities of the Submarine!

Submarines have Nuke Capabiility. You have Sixtey Nukes in subs. If they all materialize and attack at once, that's a whole lot of nukes in the air. Such an attack has devestating capabilities, but choosing targets is key. Attack Radars, Airbases, and Enemy Silos. Due to the surprise nature of your attack, it's likely that you'll be able to wipe out a goodly portion of your enemies defense, and if you take out silos that haven't launched yet, that's fewer nukes to worry about. Airbases need struck first, due to the nature of submarines. On the surface, they're very vulnerable. One lone bomber on naval mode can remove an entire group of six subs launching missiles. Accompanying this attack with fighters and bombers from carrier groups can be very effective. Remember, subs have a decent range on them, so choose your position carefully. You don't have to kiss coastline to hit most valuable targets, especially in atlantic fleets.

Submarines have Sneak Attacks. This should seem obvious, but the usefulness of it needs talked about. A submarine can, wherever there is radar coverage (Say, if it's running between a fleet of carriers and battleships, kick the crap out of things that the battleships are targetting. Whether this exposes them to visibility or not, I'm not entirely sure, I believe there is a radar echo. Use this ability sparingly, and only when you're certain you can remove the carriers of an enemy fleet with it. Due to the nature of the carrier, once ships start going down from sub attacks, the carrier will turn to antisub mode if the enemy player is good.

Submarines have Active Sonar. It's the late game. I'm lounging around, havnig used up my sub's nukes. What to do? Go Hunting! Sure, they don't have great range, but subs on Active Sonar are some of the only things that can Detect and Destroy enemy subs! If you're in the atlantic, and fear your enemy, just start sweeping around.

How to Deal with Subs:
Launching Subs are easy targets. As mentioned, a launching sub is very vulnerable. If your carrier is close in antisub mode, move it over. If not, Launch a wave of bombers at them from your defensive carriers, and from your coastal airbases. Chances are, you can destroy them before the third missile is out. Launch some fighters, in case the enemy happens to have carriers in that area as well.

Attacking marks subs position. Whether or not you can be detected with an attacking sub, when things go south, and they don't know why, a good enemy is going to guess they just got substabbed. If you see a lot of carriers and battleships vanish for no apparent reason, Now's a good time to put three ships on antisub, and sweep the lines of approach to your coastal vulnerabilites from that position.

Sweep the Obvious Lines of Approach: If you can spare them, keep a couple carriers in antisub mode to sweep lines of approach to your coast. Sure, by defcon 3, chances are you're in a fight on the sea, and the pesky subs are the least of your concern with all those naval bombers in the air, but let's be serious about this, if those subs get through, you've got 60 bigger problems in the air. Take care of them early, and you'll be happier.

Use Active Sonar. Again, if the sub fleet has spent the missiles under its command, switch it to active sonar, and go hunting for other subs. Sure, the carrier is better at it, since the passive sub can shoot back at an active sub, but at least you'll know where the enemy is.

This concludes my thoughts on submarines. Other people's input is, as always welcome.

Stay tuned for the final Sea Based Let's Talk About... Let's Talk About Battleships! Coming to a thread near you!

BTW, are these articles A) Helpful, B) Hot air, C) Wastes of space, or D) I don't know, I never read them.
FinnG
level3
level3

Postby FinnG » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:01 pm

I liked it. Good job :)
Finn
arcadedave
level0

Postby arcadedave » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:08 pm

You need a 'Interesting' option in that poll. It was alright, will be useful for newbs, but didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. I find that the most effective anti-sub defence is three Carriers and three Subs. The subs cancel out Battleships, and the Carriers cancel out everything else. Offensive wise, two Battleships and four Subs are a neat combo. The battleships will protect the subs, and the subs can pound the coastlines.
I love Subs though, and use them more than the other sea units. One day I may even relay the story of the lone sub to you all, a story so wrenching and tense that it may well kill you.

Return to “Strategic Air Command”